Old July 25th 10, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

On 25 July, 14:36, Mizter T wrote:
A friend has been given quite a lot of Euro coinage that all adds up
to a fair amount whack (n.b. this is not a result of either money
laundering nor theft!), and was pondering on how he might be able to
spend it in London - he's not planning on travelling to Euroland for
some time to come (having just returned from an extended escapade),
and anyway likes to travel light.

Euros are accepted at Heathrow 1-3, Heathrow terminal 4, Kings Cross,
Liverpool St, Paddingdon, Victoria and Waterloo.

However the exchange rate is something like 1.2 Euros to the pound.

Old July 25th 10, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 25, 3:55*pm, Paul Terry wrote:

Mizter T writes

A friend has been given quite a lot of Euro coinage that all adds up
to a fair amount whack (n.b. this is not a result of either money
laundering nor theft!), and was pondering on how he might be able to
spend it in London

(Drafting error - it's either a fair amount or a fair whack, not a
fair amount whack - and as I said, this wasn't a result of theft so
nobody got in any way whacked as a result!)

It's possible that some of the shops in the Eurostar terminal at St
Pancras will accept euros - certainly when Eurostar was at Waterloo, the
branch of Boots in the station would take them. It might also be worth
checking if the KX/St Pancras ticket office would accept euros for the
same reason.

That's an idea - I was about to say I'm not sure he's really after
whatever bijoux trinkets [1] that on offer there, but he might well
like a few of Mr Pink's shirts, not sure paying for it all in EUR1
coins or whatever is quite the image they're after though! Indeed the
question is really of coin acceptance. One can but ask, of course.

-----
[1] Possible plural confusion there, plus some redundant repetition?
Oiks like me probably shouldn't try to talk posh.
Old July 25th 10, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 25, 4:42*pm, " wrote:

On 25 July, 14:36, Mizter T wrote:

A friend has been given quite a lot of Euro coinage that all adds up
to a fair amount whack (n.b. this is not a result of either money
laundering nor theft!), and was pondering on how he might be able to
spend it in London - he's not planning on travelling to Euroland for
some time to come (having just returned from an extended escapade),
and anyway likes to travel light.

Euros are accepted at Heathrow 1-3, Heathrow terminal 4, Kings Cross,
Liverpool St, Paddingdon, Victoria and Waterloo.

Thanks muchly for the info. (I know the ticket office at Heathrow T5
is run by BAA's Heathrow Express operation as opposed to by LU itself,
so perhaps that explains the omission - but I'd be intrigued if they
didn't accept Euros there whilst they were accepted everywhere else.)

The question in my mind is now whether or not they take coins - one
can but ask, of course.

(And out of interest I wonder is they take US$ too?)

However the exchange rate is something like 1.2 Euros to the pound.

That's alright, isn't it? XE.com has EUR1.20 as being GBP1.00356 at
the moment.
Old July 25th 10, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010, Mizter T wrote:

On Jul 25, 3:55*pm, Paul Terry wrote:

Mizter T writes

A friend has been given quite a lot of Euro coinage that all adds up
to a fair amount whack (n.b. this is not a result of either money
laundering nor theft!), and was pondering on how he might be able to
spend it in London

(Drafting error - it's either a fair amount or a fair whack, not a fair
amount whack - and as I said, this wasn't a result of theft so nobody
got in any way whacked as a result!)

I note that you don't state that nobody got mounted.

tom

--
eggflip, brandy, bits of Tia Maria, Beecham's powder, aspirin,
Benedictine, Alka-Seltzer, black currant juice, a touch of mustard and
Old July 25th 10, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 25 July, 16:39, Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 25, 3:29*pm, wrote:

(Graham Harrison) wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:
A friend has been given quite a lot of Euro coinage that all adds up
to a fair amount whack (n.b. this is not a result of either money
laundering nor theft!), and was pondering on how he might be able to
spend it in London - he's not planning on travelling to Euroland for
some time to come (having just returned from an extended escapade),
and anyway likes to travel light.

If you went to a branch of a Euro based bank I wonder if they would
have facilities? * Mind you, having written that the thought that
came to mind was Santander and I can't see an Abbey branch even
understanding the question, much less actioning it.

Sell them to me? I'm going to Paris next month.

Well finding someone to offload them to is of course a possibility, as
is just keeping them all for the time being. But I must admit the
problem, such as it is one, has piqued my interest - my first thought
was that spending Euros in London wouldn't be a problem at all, but
the fact it's all in coins means it's not so easy. (Though if M&S do
take Euro coins then I can imagine they might well be accommodating,
especially if it was at one of their two big Oxford Street stores and
was at a quieter time of day.)

I wonder if they take them in pubs in Kilburn?

Old July 25th 10, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 25, 5:22*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010, Mizter T wrote:

On Jul 25, 3:55*pm, Paul Terry wrote:

Mizter T writes

A friend has been given quite a lot of Euro coinage that all adds up
to a fair amount whack (n.b. this is not a result of either money
laundering nor theft!), and was pondering on how he might be able to
spend it in London

(Drafting error - it's either a fair amount or a fair whack, not a fair
amount whack - and as I said, this wasn't a result of theft so nobody
got in any way whacked as a result!)

I note that you don't state that nobody got mounted.

Ssshhh... you said you'd keep it quiet.
Old July 25th 10, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Greetings.

In article
,
Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 25, 4:42 pm, " wrote:

[...]

If you do, please let us know what their response is. I'm in a similar
situation to your friend. I'd much rather spend the coins in London on an
Oyster top-up than have them sitting in a drawer indefinitely.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
_V.-o Tristan Miller Space is limited
Old July 26th 10, 12:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25/07/2010 23:07, Tristan Miller wrote:
Greetings.

In article
,
Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 25, 4:42 pm, wrote:

On 25 July, 14:36, Mizter wrote:

[...]

Well, why don't you just save them for your next trip to the Eurozone?
You might even want to sift through them and see if you can't find any
coins from the newer Eurozone members -- if you're into numismatics at all.
Old July 26th 10, 12:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25/07/2010 15:55, Paul Terry wrote:

It's possible that some of the shops in the Eurostar terminal at St
Pancras will accept euros - certainly when Eurostar was at Waterloo, the
branch of Boots in the station would take them. It might also be worth
checking if the KX/St Pancras ticket office would accept euros for the
same reason.

When I worked in the Ticket Office at St Pancras we accepted a number of
foreign currencies, but it was:

a) Notes ONLT
b) A not very good exchange rate, with different rates for each
denomination of note
c) We charged a £3.00 admin fee for the privilege

Cheers,

Barry