Old August 3rd 10, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

On Jul 26, 9:03*am, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Jul 25, 4:21*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jul 25, 2:55*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:36:26 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

A friend has been given quite a lot of Euro coinage that all adds up
to a fair amount whack (n.b. this is not a result of either money
laundering nor theft!), and was pondering on how he might be able to
spend it in London - he's not planning on travelling to Euroland for
some time to come (having just returned from an extended escapade),
and anyway likes to travel light.

Now I've got some vague notion that LU might accept Euros at one or
two central London stations, such as KXSP. I can't however find any
mention of this on the TfL website, and even if it was the case I can
imagine it might be notes only and not coins. Does anyone know
anything more than that?

Yes Euros are accepted at a small number of LU stations. I will need to
do a little digging tomorrow to see how it works and then report back..

Thanks Paul - I thought they were, but was a bit surprised that this
doesn't get a mention anywhere on the TfL website. Though perhaps not
promoting it is a good idea as it stops people relying upon it.

The crucial thing in this case is of course whether or not they take
coins as opposed to just notes - don't worry, if they did he wouldn't
take the mickey and turn up with loads at once, and he's not trying to
shift anything lower than the 50 cents coins either.

The stations accepting Euros are as per Robin Mayes' list.

Only Euro notes - up to 100 Euros in total - are accepted. Valid notes
are 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 Euros.

No euro coins are accepted. No mixed euro and sterling currency is
accepted. Change is given in sterling. *The applicable exchange rate
should be shown at the ticket office window and elsewhere in the
ticket hall.

A belated thank you for this information - ultimately not at all
surprised to find that Euro coinage is not accepted, only Euro notes -
I imagine the cost and hassle factor basically rules it out, and
acceptance of foreign coinage just isn't a done thing.

I remain a little curious as to whether Euro coins can actually be
spent anywhere in London - as I was passing by, I went and asked in
the McDonald's on Marble Arch whether they accepted Euros, and it
seems they don't even accept notes there (I actually brandished a
EUR10 note as a prop when asking this - it's been sat in my wallet
since I found it in a paperback I was lent recently, seemingly it was
in use as a bookmark!) - I couldn't see anything on the menus at the
counter about the acceptance of Euros either (though by the looks of
it they're falling very backwards in their willingness to accept cards
these days).

I didn't go to the nearby flagship M&S however - I'll try and remember
to ask at the till the next time I'm there actually buying something
though!

Anyhow the aforementioned friend with all the loot has successfully
managed to offload nearly all of it to someone he managed to find
who's off to France in their car soon, so he spent a fun Sunday
morning counting and bagging it all up - not sure what exchange rate
they agreed on but it was apparently quite mutually acceptable, though
as part of the exchange he was given a few £50 notes which aren't
always that easy to spend either - well, the corner shop apparently
simply wouldn't take it, and going full circle, guess what he wanted
to spend it on there - yes, a top-up of his Oyster card!

Old August 6th 10, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 09:34:22AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

I remain a little curious as to whether Euro coins can actually be
spent anywhere in London

The Pillars of Hercules on Greek Street used to. They may still do so
for all I know, but I don't drink there any more.

For every vengeance, there is an equal and opposite revengeance.
-- Cartoon Law X
Old August 6th 10, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 3, 9:34*am, Mizter T wrote:

A belated thank you for this information - ultimately not at all
surprised to find that Euro coinage is not accepted, only Euro notes -
I imagine the cost and hassle factor basically rules it out, and
acceptance of foreign coinage just isn't a done thing.

There are London businesses that will not even accept Scottish
currency, although I suspect that they a legally obliged to do so.
There have been times when I have refused to pay with anything else,
having no English money about my person.
Old August 6th 10, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 6, 9:12*pm, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 3, 9:34*am, Mizter T wrote:

A belated thank you for this information - ultimately not at all
surprised to find that Euro coinage is not accepted, only Euro notes -
I imagine the cost and hassle factor basically rules it out, and
acceptance of foreign coinage just isn't a done thing.

There are London businesses that will not even accept Scottish
currency, although I suspect that they a legally obliged to do so.
There have been times when I have refused to pay with anything else,
having no English money about my person.

There's no legal obligation to accept Scottish notes in Scotland, let
alone England!

My favourite Sterling notes are those issued by the Bank of Ireland,
though the confusion imbuing potential has unfortunately diminished
greatly since the Euro arrived.
Old August 6th 10, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/08/2010 16:20, David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 09:34:22AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

I remain a little curious as to whether Euro coins can actually be
spent anywhere in London

The Pillars of Hercules on Greek Street used to. They may still do so
for all I know, but I don't drink there any more.

Phone boxes as well.

Old August 6th 10, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/08/2010 21:12, 1506 wrote:
On Aug 3, 9:34 am, Mizter wrote:

A belated thank you for this information - ultimately not at all
surprised to find that Euro coinage is not accepted, only Euro notes -
I imagine the cost and hassle factor basically rules it out, and
acceptance of foreign coinage just isn't a done thing.

There are London businesses that will not even accept Scottish
currency, although I suspect that they a legally obliged to do so.
There have been times when I have refused to pay with anything else,
having no English money about my person.

No, they are not legally obliged to accept them.
Old August 7th 10, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
1506 writes
There are London businesses that will not even accept Scottish
currency, although I suspect that they a legally obliged to do so.
There have been times when I have refused to pay with anything else,
having no English money about my person.

We see a lot of Scottish money, here in the Lakes, but I'm fairly sure
it isn't legal tender.
--
Clive

Old August 7th 10, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There are London businesses that will not even accept Scottish
currency, although I suspect that they a legally obliged to do so.

There have been times when I have refused to pay with anything else,
having no English money about my person.

We see a lot of Scottish money, here in the Lakes, but I'm fairly sure it
isn't legal tender.

I was in a pub in Portsmouth last weekend, and the guy in front of me was
offerred a Scottish £5 in his change - and refused to accept it. When I was
served, I too had the same offer, and took the note.

Half an hour or so later, when I went back to the bar, I simply handed it to
a (different) member of staff, who looked at it oddly for a brief moment,
then stuck it in the till.

That said, I've had a few RBoS £1 notes in the recent past, which a UK shop
refused to accept - I simply exchanged it at the nearest bank for a small,
gold-ish coloured coin, with no questions asked by the teller.

Matt

Old August 7th 10, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 07/08/2010 15:02, M J Forbes wrote:
[...]

Wonder what they would do if they ever got a fifty-pence note from St.
Helena.
Old August 8th 10, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 7, 2:00*pm, Clive wrote:

We see a lot of Scottish money, here in the Lakes,
but I'm fairly sure it isn't legal tender Clive

Legal tender is what you can't refuse to take if you
are offered it by someone who owes you money.

That means that cheques, credit cards and debit
cards are not legal tender - you have the option
to take them if you choose.

So when anybody refuses to accept a Scottish note,
it is solely because of their own choice. The "I can't
take it because it is not legal tender" routine is
nonsense.