Old July 26th 10, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

On Jul 25, 4:21*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 25, 2:55*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:36:26 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

A friend has been given quite a lot of Euro coinage that all adds up
to a fair amount whack (n.b. this is not a result of either money
laundering nor theft!), and was pondering on how he might be able to
spend it in London - he's not planning on travelling to Euroland for
some time to come (having just returned from an extended escapade),
and anyway likes to travel light.

Now I've got some vague notion that LU might accept Euros at one or
two central London stations, such as KXSP. I can't however find any
mention of this on the TfL website, and even if it was the case I can
imagine it might be notes only and not coins. Does anyone know
anything more than that?

Yes Euros are accepted at a small number of LU stations. I will need to
do a little digging tomorrow to see how it works and then report back.

Thanks Paul - I thought they were, but was a bit surprised that this
doesn't get a mention anywhere on the TfL website. Though perhaps not
promoting it is a good idea as it stops people relying upon it.

The crucial thing in this case is of course whether or not they take
coins as opposed to just notes - don't worry, if they did he wouldn't
take the mickey and turn up with loads at once, and he's not trying to
shift anything lower than the 50 cents coins either.- Hide quoted text -

The stations accepting Euros are as per Robin Mayes' list.

Only Euro notes - up to 100 Euros in total - are accepted. Valid notes
are 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 Euros.

No euro coins are accepted. No mixed euro and sterling currency is
accepted. Change is given in sterling. The applicable exchange rate
should be shown at the ticket office window and elsewhere in the
ticket hall.

HTH

--
Paul C
via Google

Old July 26th 10, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/07/2010 01:45, Barry Salter wrote:
On 25/07/2010 15:55, Paul Terry wrote:

It's possible that some of the shops in the Eurostar terminal at St
Pancras will accept euros - certainly when Eurostar was at Waterloo, the
branch of Boots in the station would take them. It might also be worth
checking if the KX/St Pancras ticket office would accept euros for the
same reason.

When I worked in the Ticket Office at St Pancras we accepted a number of
foreign currencies, but it was:

a) Notes ONLT
b) A not very good exchange rate, with different rates for each
denomination of note
c) We charged a £3.00 admin fee for the privilege

Cheers,

Barry

When was that and what sort of notes did you accept?
Old July 28th 10, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

he'd really want from them is a coffee. Lastly, I know there are those
'CoinStar' machines - these are the machines you get in supermarkets
which accept and count up your (Sterling) shrapnel and then I think
give you a voucher for spending at the supermarket, whilst taking a
generous cut for themselves for all the hard work they do - well I
dunno if there are any such machines which accept and exchange Euro
coinage for Sterling around? I've got some very vague idea that they
might exist somewhere, though I'm sure the deal they do isn't a great
one.

I've seen one at Budapest Ferighey airport that converts Euro coinage
- however, I know that it'll only convert them into a voucher for
Hungarian Forints, exchangable for cash or services at a few of the
outlets in the airport - machine looked identical to the Coinstar
machines in the UK.

It might be worth keeping an eye out in the arrivals hall of Heathrow
or Gatwick - I'm sure there's countless holidaymakers wasting their
baggage allowance by bringing back tons of coinage after a fortnight
in the sun - a machine such as this may be very handy.

Lastly, assuming your friend has a UK bank account, it may be worth
asking them if he can pay the coins into his account? I've done this
with Natwest with Dollars and Euros, although they wouldn't take the
really small (coppers) coins. Exchange rate wasn't too appalling,
either.

Old July 28th 10, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 July, 01:45, Barry Salter wrote:

When I worked in the Ticket Office at St Pancras we accepted a number of
foreign currencies, but it was:

* a) Notes ONLT
* b) A not very good exchange rate, with different rates for each
denomination of note
* c) We charged a £3.00 admin fee for the privilege

Cheers,

Barry

At Kings Cross (BR) in the mid 80s we accpted a number of currenices
with a dialy list produced with the (appalling) rates. There was also
a nominal admin charge as well (£ ?).

Because of the hassle and the fact that many did not want to rip
people off, intending passengers were normally referred to the Bureaux
de change where even in the days of ****e station rates at Bureaux and
comission (remember that !) the punter was always much better off.

As a result of the referals, staff got commission free exchange.

American tourists were not normally interested in making the hike of
30 yards and would just thrust large denomination travellers cheques
(remember those) at us. The more entrapaneurial (spelling?) old hands
may have made some beer money by not paying in the foreign currency
IYSWIM.

Richard
Old July 30th 10, 08:34 PM
Junior Member

Is there some sort of pass that I can buy for the London underground? I will be in the city for about 20 days and will have to travel quite a lot within the city hence was thinking of getting a pass or smart card I can use in daily transport.
Old July 30th 10, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28/07/2010 19:07, Fat richard wrote:
On 26 July, 01:45, Barry wrote:

[...]

How about notes from St. Helena, did you ever accept any of them?
Old July 30th 10, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 30, 9:34*pm, achengms
wrote:
Is there some sort of pass that I can buy for the London underground? I
will be in the city for about 20 days and will have to travel quite a
lot within the city hence was thinking of getting a pass or smart card I
can use in daily transport.

Yes. You've basically got two options, buy three weekly Travelcards or
otherwise use Oyster Pay-as-you-go (Oyster is a smartcard).

You can also load weekly Travelcard on to an Oyster card which would
allow you to travel outside the zones covered by your Travelcard - for
example to go to and from destinations in outer London such as
Heathrow airport or Hampton Court (if your weekly Travelcard just
covered the central zones 1&2). To do this you would need to add some
extra credit to the card for these journeys.

Note that the "Travelcard" name can cause some confusion - it's a
ticketing product that can be issued either on a physical (paper/card)
ticket or otherwise 'virtually' by being loaded onto an Oyster smart
card. Both the Travelcard and Oyster Pay-as-you-go are valid on the
Underground, buses and the suburban rail network in London.

Which one to go for kinda depends on how much travelling around London
you expect to be doing, where in London you expect to want to go to,
and how many days if any you might be away from London. That said, the
three weekly Travelcards might be your best bet.