Old August 10th 10, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:24:29 +0100
Tony Dragon wrote:
wrote:
On 09/08/2010 01:05, Basil Jet wrote:

Tescos self-serve tills in London accept Scottish money, incidentally.

And I'm sure that self-serve tills will accept English notes in
Scotland, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

I wonder if those same tills will accept Northern Irish notes outside of
Northern Ireland, however.

I didn't think there was such a thing as 'English money', it is UK money.

There should just be one set of notes for the whole country. Not have this
absurd situation where in the provinces some banks (not all!) are allowed
to print their own money which may or may not be legal tender in other
parts of the UK. If you think trying to spend a northern ireland note in
england is hard try using one from the isle of man or the channel islands!
If its not legal tender then why is it called sterling?

B2003

Old August 10th 10, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 10, 7:59*am, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2010\08\10 11:24, Tony Dragon wrote:

wrote:
On 09/08/2010 01:05, Basil Jet wrote:

Tescos self-serve tills in London accept Scottish money, incidentally..

And I'm sure that self-serve tills will accept English notes in
Scotland, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

I wonder if those same tills will accept Northern Irish notes outside
of Northern Ireland, however.

I didn't think there was such a thing as 'English money', it is UK money.

It has "Bank Of England" writ thereon.

Indeed, it does. Sadly there is no currency valid in Wales that has
the names Wales or Cymru on it!
Old August 10th 10, 03:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tony Dragon wrote:
wrote:
On 09/08/2010 01:05, Basil Jet wrote:

Tescos self-serve tills in London accept Scottish money, incidentally..

And I'm sure that self-serve tills will accept English notes in
Scotland, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

I wonder if those same tills will accept Northern Irish notes outside of
Northern Ireland, however.

I didn't think there was such a thing as 'English money', it is UK money..

There should just be one set of notes for the whole country. Not have this
absurd situation where in the provinces some banks (not all!) are allowed
to print their own money which may or may not be legal tender in other
parts of the UK. If you think trying to spend a northern ireland note in
england is hard try using one from the isle of man or the channel islands!
If its not legal tender then why is it called sterling?

Who would print it and how would it be supplied? No one else on the
planet should have a Federal Reserve. It is an awful institution.

Old August 10th 10, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 09/08/2010 01:05, Basil Jet wrote:

Tescos self-serve tills in London accept Scottish money, incidentally.

And I'm sure that self-serve tills will accept English notes in
Scotland, Ireland and the Isle of Man.

I wonder if those same tills will accept Northern Irish notes outside
of Northern Ireland, however.

I didn't think there was such a thing as 'English money', it is UK money.

It has "Bank Of England" writ thereon.

Indeed, it does. Sadly there is no currency valid in Wales that has
the names Wales or Cymru on it!

There are pound coins with Welsh writing.

Old August 10th 10, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

!
If its not legal tender then why is it called sterling?

Who would print it and how would it be supplied? No one else on the

The bank of england guides the UK economy (whatever the toytown council in
edinburgh might believe) so it should print the money as it does at the
moment.

planet should have a Federal Reserve. It is an awful institution.

I hadn't noticed the various regions in other countries printing their
own money. Can you imagine the chaos if every US state now printed its
own money which may or may not be valid in the others? The situation we
currently have here is absurd. Either all sterling notes should be valid
everywhere in the UK or there should just be one set of notes for the whole
UK. Not the daft mishmash we have at the moment.

B2003

Old August 10th 10, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 10, 4:22*pm, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 10, 7:59*am, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2010\08\10 11:24, Tony Dragon wrote:
[snip]
I didn't think there was such a thing as 'English money', it is UK money.

It has "Bank Of England" writ thereon.

Indeed, it does. *Sadly there is no currency valid in Wales that has
the names Wales or Cymru on it!

Not even any Welsh banks that could issue you with a dragon themed
debit card ;-(

Might well be an affinity credit card available with the WRU or Welsh
National Opera or something, but a quick google hasn't found an
amazingly obvious candidate.

Though I did find an interesting piece on the BBC Wales website about
the history of Welsh banks:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/waleshist...lsh_banks.html
Old August 10th 10, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 10, 9:26*am, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 10, 4:22*pm, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 10, 7:59*am, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2010\08\10 11:24, Tony Dragon wrote:
[snip]
I didn't think there was such a thing as 'English money', it is UK money.

It has "Bank Of England" writ thereon.

Indeed, it does. *Sadly there is no currency valid in Wales that has
the names Wales or Cymru on it!

Not even any Welsh banks that could issue you with a dragon themed
debit card ;-(

Might well be an affinity credit card available with the WRU or Welsh
National Opera or something, but a quick google hasn't found an
amazingly obvious candidate.

Though I did find an interesting piece on the BBC Wales website about
the history of Welsh banks:http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/waleshist...e_of_welsh_ban...

Fascinating piece, thank you for posting.
Old August 10th 10, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 10, 5:33*pm, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2010\08\10 16:50, wrote:

I hadn't noticed the various regions in other countries printing their
own money. Can you imagine the chaos if every US state now printed its
own money which may or may not be valid in the others? The situation we
currently have here is absurd. Either all sterling notes should be valid
everywhere in the UK or there should just be one set of notes for the whole
UK. Not the daft mishmash we have at the moment.

Since there are 4 denominations in fairly current use, I don't see why
the fivers, tenners, twenties and fifties couldn't have a different
country written on them, and be printed in the country in question. And
if the people in Scotland hate using money with England on it that much,
they could just avoid using the "Sterling Bank Of England" fivers and
stick to the "Sterling Bank Of Scotland" tenners instead, although all
four notes would be legal tender and the other provincial and Bank Of
England notes would be withdrawn as that denomination of "Sterling Bank"
note was introduced. Would keep the moaning nationalists happy, and we'd
end up with only four notes throughout the kingdom.

Alternatively we could solve the banknote issue by joining the Euro,
though comes with the unfortunate side-effect of having to send large
amounts of money to Greece...