Old July 29th 10, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Victoria Line Stock

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 03:33:42 -0700 (PDT)
Paul wrote:
But the problems have been caused by computer software failures and

No doubt as usual there'll be software for the sake of it where its not
needed for trivially simple operations such as door closing and ventilation
fans. All of which has to be debugged.

At the time of their launch, Richard Parry, LU's managing director,
said the trains had "undergone hundreds of hours of testing and are
now ready to run".

Testing without a fully loaded train of people isn't testing.

B2003

Old July 29th 10, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 04:36:20 -0700 (PDT)
MIG wrote:
The way things are going, with walls thickening and obstructions
getting more chunky, by the time that the 2009 stock is replaced, it
will be by carriages which are nearly-solid rods with a small pipe
down the middle that a person can crawl into, with personal space
divided into person lengths by means of spikes every four feet along.

Sshh, don't give them ideas!

B2003

Old July 29th 10, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Railist" wrote in message
On 28 July, 10:29, MIG wrote:
On 28 July, 09:27, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:30:53 +0100

I don't have a problem with seats normally - they do feel narrow on
the Piccadilly Line but that's probably my imagination... ;-)

Ah, you need to use the old "left of the door gag". Those of us Picc line
users who are perhaps best described as "circumferencally challenged" know
that the seat immediately to the left of each door is slightly wider than
the rest of the seats in the car. To see what I mean, try to get on an empty
(ish) car and sit in the seat to the left of the door you entered by, then
try the seat directly opposite. The seat you sat in first is wider.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old July 30th 10, 06:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 July, 19:07, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:07:28 +0100, "

wrote:
The 09 stock kind of strikes me as an urban legend. Somebody who knows
somebody who knows somebody once claimed to have seen one.

Well if that's how you wish to consider them fine. *I assume you
therefore consider all the other reams of remarks from various posters
on here, endless newspaper and web comments over the last few days to be
completely fallacious just because you personally have not been on one
of these trains!? *I shall also assume the one I caught to work this
morning and the one in the platform at Victoria this afternoon were also
figments of my imagination. *Can't wait to tell everyone that I was
really teleported by the power of my imagination to work most mornings
this week!

Do you think the world isn't round because you haven't personally been
in orbit or else flown round the world?
--
Paul C

I got on one of these "figments of my imagination" to go home last
night, and the train was quite sticky and hot inside. This was
probably due to the fact that the ventilators were blowing warm air
around the carriage. Perhaps LUL could advertise that the new
Victoria Line trains come with free hair dryers! I assume that they
will wait until the middle of winter before they make them blow cold
air.

Joking apart, I should have thought that these issues would have been
detected and fixed during the "extensive hours of testing" that were
carried out last year. (and for which we had to endure a series of
weekend closures last summer)
Old July 31st 10, 04:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28/07/2010 19:15, Fat richard wrote:
On 28 July, 10:29, wrote:
On 28 July, 09:27, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:30:53 +0100

"Nicola wrote:
Have been on them twice so far and both times the trains were taken out of
service due to problems

Apparently some of the problems have been down to door sensors. It just
beggers belief that in 2010 they still can't design door sensors that can
cope with an overcrowded tube train. This really should be simple basic
engineering that an undergraduate could design.

B2003

So should designing a seat that fits a human being. So should putting
windows in train sides.

I think that 2009 stock seats should be compulsory at TfL board
meetings from now on.

Going are the days of those lovely transverse pairs in the driving
cars......................
At least the Bakerloo stock will be around a while.

I will have to stand in futre (the excercise does me good). When I say
I will have to stand, I actually mean that......

Fat Richard

Finally got to see one today. It was interesting how bright the
headlights were. The seats were definitely different from the ones on
the 67 stock, but I wonder if that is not meant in some way to keep
passengers from nodding off.

Old August 5th 10, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nicola Redwood" wrote in message

At least you got to see one.

Have seen them a few times at Kings X Northbound between 6pm and 6:30pm
weekdays

In the past 24 hours, I've been on two and seen 2 more