Old December 31st 08, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default victoria line 09 stock

Will this still have to arrive on the victoria line by road or did the
test drag through the piccadilly line tunnels go ok with no bumps or
scrapes?

B2003

Old January 1st 09, 01:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Will this still have to arrive on the victoria line by road or did the
test drag through the piccadilly line tunnels go ok with no bumps or
scrapes?

Since presumably it would have to get to the Piccadilly Line by road, what's
the advantage over direct delivery to Northumberland Park?
--
Richard J.

Old January 1st 09, 02:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jan 1, 2:34*am, "Richard J." wrote:
wrote in message

Will this still have to arrive on the victoria line by road or did the
test drag through the piccadilly line tunnels go ok with no bumps or
scrapes?

Since presumably it would have to get to the Piccadilly Line by road, what's
the advantage over direct delivery to Northumberland Park?

I am completely out of touch, but didn't all new stuff for the
Underground used to be delivered to and commissioned at West Ruislip?
Travelling subsequently via the Piccadilly would make sense in that
case.

But this all probably ceased years ago so I dunno.
Old January 1st 09, 03:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
wrote in message
Will this still have to arrive on the victoria line by road or did
the test drag through the piccadilly line tunnels go ok with no
bumps or scrapes?

Since presumably it would have to get to the Piccadilly Line by road,
what's the advantage over direct delivery to Northumberland Park?

Ruislip Depot is connected to the Piccadilly Line and also to the national
rail network.

Old January 1st 09, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in
message
Richard J. wrote:
wrote in message
Will this still have to arrive on the victoria line by road or did
the test drag through the piccadilly line tunnels go ok with no
bumps or scrapes?

Since presumably it would have to get to the Piccadilly Line by road,
what's the advantage over direct delivery to Northumberland Park?

Ruislip Depot is connected to the Piccadilly Line and also to the
national rail network.

But, presumably for economic or convenience reasons, many LU carriages
are still moved by road on low loaders, eg, for refurbishment. I've seen
pics of D stock cars being moved this way from Ealing Common depot, on
their way to and from Derby, even though complete trains had to be sent
for refurbishment. It would not be hard to get the trains to Ruislip via
the Picc and Met lines, but I suppose there are enough complications to
make road transport quicker and cheaper.

More details on
http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave...programme.html

Old January 1st 09, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes
wrote in message
Will this still have to arrive on the victoria line by road or did the
test drag through the piccadilly line tunnels go ok with no bumps or
scrapes?

Since presumably it would have to get to the Piccadilly Line by road,
what's the advantage over direct delivery to Northumberland Park?

The 09 stock will be delivered directly by road to Northumberland Park.

I have been told that some tests were done in traffic hours to see if
the 09 stock would fit through the 'pipe' from Finsbury Park to Barons
Court which apparently was successful although they would need a full
possession to do it as the 09s aren't tripcock fitted.

I've not found any record of this sortie in LURS or any other esteemed
organ to back this up though, which I would have expected. That being
the case however, they would then be able to travel to Acton Works by
rail if required and access the test track between Northfields and Acton
Town.
Old January 1st 09, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 1, 11:19 am, "Recliner" wrote:
for refurbishment. It would not be hard to get the trains to Ruislip via
the Picc and Met lines, but I suppose there are enough complications to
make road transport quicker and cheaper.

I can't help thinking that if its possible to transfer something by
rail instead of road it should be done. Theres enough congestion on
the roads as it is without another 7 or 8 HGVs per train being on the
roads just because it saves someone a bit of paperwork.

B2003

Old January 1st 09, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

On Jan 1, 11:19 am, "Recliner" wrote:
for refurbishment. It would not be hard to get the trains to Ruislip
via the Picc and Met lines, but I suppose there are enough
complications to make road transport quicker and cheaper.

I can't help thinking that if its possible to transfer something by
rail instead of road it should be done. Theres enough congestion on
the roads as it is without another 7 or 8 HGVs per train being on the
roads just because it saves someone a bit of paperwork.

Yes, I was wondering what the problems are with moving undamaged LU
stock by rail. Some of the points that I could think of include:
- Braking -- is it possible to operate the LU train brakes from the
loco? If not, how does the whole ensemble get enough braking force?
- Are there any problems towing unpowered LU trains long distances?
For example, do the brakes come on when the air pressure is lost?
- Clearances -- obviously the shoes and tripcocks will have to be
removed, but are there any other clearance issues with platforms, ground
frames, etc? Some LU trains (eg, Met stock) are wider than NR trains.
- Vandalism -- is there a risk if the transfer trains have to be parked
in a siding en route?
- Can the train be pulled at a reasonable speed (say, 60mph)? If not,
it's going to take a lot of paths from busy lines.

Old January 1st 09, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

Yes, I was wondering what the problems are with moving undamaged LU
stock by rail. Some of the points that I could think of include:

snip

You forgot the big one:

Cost - Track access, locos and crews don't come for free. As such, it's
generally cheaper to send rolling stock round the country on the back of
a low loader than transport it by rail.

Cheers,

Barry
Old January 2nd 09, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 12:35:08 +0000, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

I have been told that some tests were done in traffic hours to see if
the 09 stock would fit through the 'pipe' from Finsbury Park to Barons
Court which apparently was successful although they would need a full
possession to do it as the 09s aren't tripcock fitted.

Wikipedia says:

" Unlike the 1967 stock, the trains will be built to take advantage of the
Victoria Line's unusually large loading gauge (for a deep tube line).
However, this will prevent them leaving the line except by road." is wrong?

Is this statement wrong, then?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...und_2009_Stock

--
jhk