Old August 13th 10, 09:04 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

Default How far from Olympic stadium to Wimbledon?

Old Central wrote:

Hi Franklin,

I live in the shadow of the Civic Centre near Morden. You can PM me
and I will see what I can find if that helps. I have used the
references at the Civic Centre extensively so know my way around what
is available or know someone else who might.

OC

Thank you for the information. Is your hotmail email valid?

Old August 13th 10, 09:05 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

Franklin wrote on 04
August 2010 23:39:42 ...
Mizter T wrote:

On Aug 1, 9:19 pm, "Richard
wrote:

g wrote on
01 August 2010 16:00:07 ...

In a year or two I expect to be visiting the main Olympic
stadium. I'm considering a side trip to visit the civic hall for
the Wimbledon area.

[snip]

I am thinking of visiting the town hall for Wimbledon to rummage
through public files in order to find an old friend. I've lost
touch with him but I figure there is some info in the local
government offices: perhaps a building permit in his name, perhaps
a statement he made at a public meeting, perhaps feedback he gave on
local development plans.

Here you can't search local records electronically. You have to
visit in person. Is Wimbledon/Merton the same?

It is certainly worth an online search. Things like planning
applications, minutes of council meetings are online. For the stuff
that isn't online, I don't think there is likely to be any practical
way of searching for his name in Merton's records. The London
Borough of Merton has a population of about 200,000.

You would do better, I think, to take out a subscription to
www.192.com and search there for his name, which would cover
electoral registers (though only if he agreed to his name's inclusion
in the online register), phone directories, and various other
records.

192.com is a very interesting web site. Any more like it which may be
useful in locating my old buddy?

Old August 13th 10, 09:06 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport.london

tim.... wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in message
Franklin wrote on 01
August 2010 16:00:07 ...
In a year or two I expect to be visiting the main Olympic stadium.
I'm considering a side trip to visit the civic hall for the
Wimbledon area.

Approximately how far is it and how much time should I allow for
the journey?

What do you mean by "the civic hall for the Wimbledon area"?
Wimbledon is in the London Borough of Merton, whose main
headquarters is at the Civic Centre, London Road, Morden, SM4 5DX,
near Morden Underground station (Northern Line) and about 2 miles
from Wimbledon.

Until 1965, Wimbledon was a borough with a town hall (built 1931) at
the corner of Queens Road and Wimbledon Bridge, near Wimbledon
station. It is no longer a council building; Google Street View
shows a Tesco Metro supermarket in the building.

I think that the old Wimbledon Town Hall was the Merton Council main
offices for a couple of decades after 1965.

It is now the frontage to the Centre Court shopping centre,
accessible directly from the railway station, opened some around
1988-90.

The new council offices in Morden used to be a supermarket (various
names ending as a Safeway) with an office block (Crown House) above
it until at least 1980. Can't remember when that all changed and the
Safeway moved into new premises built on the old Co-op department
store, (which was what I can only describe as the most sparsely
occupied store this side of the Urals).

tim

How many "Mark and Spencer" food halls are in that vicinity?

Walthamstow Stadium Bus Garage Paul London Transport 6 February 24th 11 08:52 PM
New Tottenham Hotspur stadium.... Martin Petrov London Transport 2 October 28th 09 01:54 PM
Emirates Stadium & public transport Offramp London Transport 5 March 16th 08 03:24 PM
Old Wembley Stadium station CharlesPottins London Transport 0 May 12th 04 04:29 PM
Watford Stadium First Class Annual Travelcard Tom Cordiner London Transport 20 April 14th 04 05:45 PM