Old August 9th 10, 10:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Split Ticketing to Brighton

Southern give the full third off with no minimum on some of their fares,
which is why I currently travel to London and back (from Brighton) for £7.85
two or three times/week - that's the current Network Card discounted super
off-peak return fare, routed Not Gatwick Express, with a 15% discount for
buying via the web site.

If you don't believe it why don't you go and look for yourself? - after all
where do you think I got the price I quoted from?

--
DAS

I can confirm that I've seen that happen (Southern website ignoring
the £13 NSE minimum). That was on a order with a mixture of railcards
- I'd just assumed that the system couldn't cope with the different
restrictions.

Jon
Old August 9th 10, 10:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Jon Passenger" wrote in message
Southern give the full third off with no minimum on some of their fares,
which is why I currently travel to London and back (from Brighton) for
£7.85
two or three times/week - that's the current Network Card discounted
super
off-peak return fare, routed Not Gatwick Express, with a 15% discount for
buying via the web site.

If you don't believe it why don't you go and look for yourself? - after
all
where do you think I got the price I quoted from?

--
DAS

I can confirm that I've seen that happen (Southern website ignoring
the £13 NSE minimum). That was on a order with a mixture of railcards
- I'd just assumed that the system couldn't cope with the different
restrictions.

It does seem odd - particular now that I've noticed that SN's '25% discount
T&C' doesn't list the Network Card as being eligible:
http://www.southernrailway.com/offer...-off-peak/223/

But the website does appear to allow me a Fareham to Victoria super offpeak
return for £6.95 with NC discount. Bargain...

Paul S

Old August 10th 10, 11:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

[...]

I'm curious to know what happens when the ticket inspector turns up? Is
he/she allowed to excess someone with a ticket for less than £13?

John

Old August 10th 10, 12:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Aug 10, 12:42*pm, "John C" wrote:

"Jon Passenger" wrote:

Southern give the full third off with no minimum on some of their fares,
which is why I currently travel to London and back (from Brighton) for
£7.85 two or three times/week - that's the current Network Card
discounted super off-peak return fare, routed Not Gatwick Express,
with a 15% discount for buying via the web site.

If you don't believe it why don't you go and look for yourself? - after
all where do you think I got the price I quoted from?

I can confirm that I've seen that happen (Southern website ignoring
the £13 NSE minimum). *That was on a order with a mixture of railcards
- I'd just assumed that the system couldn't cope with the different
restrictions.

I'm curious to know what happens when the ticket inspector turns up? Is
he/she allowed to excess someone with a ticket for less than £13?

Nothing would happen. These tickets are sold from Southern's own site,
after all.
Old August 10th 10, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 10, 4:25*pm, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:

I'm curious to know what happens when the ticket inspector turns up?
Is he/she allowed to excess someone with a ticket for less than £13?

Nothing would happen. These tickets are sold from Southern's own site,
after all.

Will that help me on the 09:20 from Cambridge to King's Cross when I have
an Off-Peak (not Day) Return? NXEA tell me it's not valid before 09:30 and
their machines now refuse to sell one before 09:30 (a bit tight for the
09:32) yet FCC's web site happily sells me that ticket for use on the
09:20 (and the 08:54 if I wanted) with TOD at NXEA's machines in Cambridge.

Barry recently confirmed here that it is a condition on the fare since a
year or two back but FCC clearly know nothing about it, despite it being
their fare and their condition.

Appears to be an issue with the Trainline and their misinterpretation
of the rules - the FCC booking engine is 'powered by' the Trainline.
Looking at East Coast's (WebTIS) booking engine, it seems to correctly
interpret the rule, showing the 09:32 as the first train it the OPR
can be used on.

Alas it's not possible to get a reservation for these trains,
otherwise the 'booked train coupon' could be presented to any member
of staff in support of any argument that the ticket holder purchased
it in good faith. Otherwise a passenger could try presenting a print-
out of the journey details from the Trainline booking. Though knowing
what the restriction is and trying to get around it might not be the
best example of something done in good faith!

You could always get in touch with FCC - if the message got to the
right person at FCC they might then get on to the Trainline and get
them to tweak their database.
Old August 10th 10, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Aug 10, 4:25*pm, wrote:

[...]

I do have a printout, indeed. But I've never had it queried by anyone from
FCC and NXEA Customer Services even gave me a refund once for the
overcharge.

You could always get in touch with FCC - if the message got to the
right person at FCC they might then get on to the Trainline and get
them to tweak their database.

But I want to be able to use the 09:20, whether or not I'm staying in
London overnight!

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 11th 10, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
12:58:49 on Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Mizter T remarked:
Will that help me on the 09:20 from Cambridge to King's Cross when I have
an Off-Peak (not Day) Return? NXEA tell me it's not valid before 09:30 and
their machines now refuse to sell one before 09:30 (a bit tight for the
09:32) yet FCC's web site happily sells me that ticket for use on the
09:20 (and the 08:54 if I wanted) with TOD at NXEA's machines in Cambridge.

Barry recently confirmed here that it is a condition on the fare since a
year or two back but FCC clearly know nothing about it, despite it being
their fare and their condition.

Appears to be an issue with the Trainline and their misinterpretation
of the rules - the FCC booking engine is 'powered by' the Trainline.
Looking at East Coast's (WebTIS) booking engine, it seems to correctly
interpret the rule, showing the 09:32 as the first train it the OPR
can be used on.

5J - 9.30 except Bdeford and Peterborough when it's 9.15

Perhaps this is a case of a missing/obsolete "Cambridge 9.15"?
Old August 10th 10, 12:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John C" wrote in message

[...]

In the past I've had a Southeastern ticket machine, and a Southeastern
ticket office, both failing to apply the GBP 13 (or earlier GBP 10) minimum.
I've also had a Southeastern conductor querying a cheaper ticket bought with
a Network Card on a Saturday (when the minimum doesn't apply). He didn't
press the point when I asserted that I was correct and he was not, and a
subsequent email to Southeastern elicited a response that indicated that
that conductor would receive advice/extra training.

Peter