Old August 12th 10, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stepless platforms

Can anyone think of any tube stations where the platforms lead directly out
onto the street without any lifts/steps/escalators? The only ones I can think
of are Woodside Park, Epping and Kew Gardens. I'm sure there must be lots more
that I've not been to.

B2003

Old August 12th 10, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Aug, 12:10, Roland Perry wrote:

At least one platform is step-free at Rickmansworth I think

The southbound one is stepless, indeed.

D.
Old August 12th 10, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2010\08\12 12:13, David F wrote:
On 12 Aug, 12:10, Roland wrote:

At least one platform is step-free at Rickmansworth I think

The southbound one is stepless, indeed.

D.

I suspect North Ealing has one stepless platform, and I think Sudbury
Town has both. Ruislip probably has one.

Old August 12th 10, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:32:46
in uk.transport.london, d writes
Can anyone think of any tube stations where the platforms lead directly out
onto the street without any lifts/steps/escalators? The only ones I can think
of are Woodside Park, Epping and Kew Gardens. I'm sure there must be lots more
that I've not been to.

B2003

Debden
Woodford
South Woodford eastbound
Snaresbrook eastbound? Wrong! 3 steps outside ticket hall.
Roding Valley
Uxbridge
Amersham southbound (from Aylesbury, etc.)
Chesham
Chorleywood - do you count ramps?
Stanmore - to car park.
Hammersmith - Circle and H&C
etc.

AFAIK, the best place to check is
http://www.directenquiries.com/london
underground.aspx?tab=Underground%20Stations&level= 1
The interface has become more complicated in the last few months. I had
programmed something to find those stations thought to have helppoints.
I now have an approximately complete list for my own purposes. I would
have to recode to generate another. My impression is that this site
should be taken with salt. I gave up trying to get it fixed some time
ago. I eventually found that the supplier will only react to faults
reported through LU. An example fault is at Aldgate where platforms 3
and 4 are shown as Northbound Circle and Metropolitan platforms. (3 is
Metropolitan; 4 is Circle.)

Epping is a PITA if one arrives at platform 1 (on the right). A
helppoint call to unlock the gate is needed. It is meant to be possible
to find out which platform is expected to be used at Stratford (or other
boarding station) - where eastbound step 173mm/gap 120mm stretches the
concept of step-free. (I occasionally travel with a friend who uses a
motorised wheelchair.)

The small and large paper versions of the Step-free Tube Guide are
useful resources; it can be read at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downlo
ads/step-free-tube-guide-map.pdf. Staff helpfulness elides a lot of
difficulty with wheelchair travel.

I was at KXSP, today. A VIP (Visually Impaired Person - an inspired LU
acronym) with a long cane was making a competent, unsupported exit.
Later I saw another, assisted by staff, as I went back into the station.
(It may be relevant that the RNIB is nearby. I find it irritating
inconsistent that some train line announcements at KXSP refer to Royal
National Institute of the Blind and others to Royal National Institute
of Blind People.)

Later still, at the Baker Street eastbound platform (technically there
is only one), someone wearing earphones tripped on a VIP's cane. The
assisting staff member had not been aware of the danger.

LU seems to do fairly well by VIPs!
--
Walter Briscoe
Old August 12th 10, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Aug, 12:10, Roland wrote:

At least one platform is step-free at Rickmansworth I think

The southbound one is stepless, indeed.

D.

I suspect North Ealing has one stepless platform, and I think Sudbury
Town has both. Ruislip probably has one.

Yes, both Sudbury Town's platforms are accessible step-free at street
level. Both also have buses stopping close by.

Old August 13th 10, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 13, 11:45*am, David Cantrell wrote:

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:32:46AM +0000, wrote:
Can anyone think of any tube stations where the platforms lead directly out
onto the street without any lifts/steps/escalators? The only ones I can think
of are Woodside Park, Epping and Kew Gardens. I'm sure there must be lots more
that I've not been to.

Olympia is certainly stepless from the District line and the northbound
Overground, I think it's also stepless from the southbound platform too.

It is, yes. Long way round on street to change platforms though!