London Banter

-   -   Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11093-ghost-trips-appearing-london-cycle.html)

[email protected] August 17th 10 10:47 PM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

On 17/08/2010 21:51, David Walters wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:09:41 +0100, wrote:
On 17/08/2010 08:49, Paul Terry wrote:
In messageGApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

The keys are used on the docking stations, not on the payment terminals.

What will happen when the cycling scheme is fully launched and some
people don't have keys, opting instead to pay with a card?

Casual users will pay at the payment station which will then print a
receipt with a code on it. The code is then entered on a docking station
using the 3 buttons just above the membership key slot.

Cheers for that. And when is the full launch, tentatively?

Roland Perry August 18th 10 08:20 AM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In message f4Cao.12267$X27.1445@hurricane, at 21:14:03 on Tue, 17 Aug
2010, " remarked:
Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.

A registered Oyster does know who you are, however, and can simply
post or directly deduct from your current account the fine for the
damage.

Does every registered Oyster have a bank account associated with it - or
just the ones set up for auto-topup?

No, just the ones that are registered and set with an auto top up as
would most likely be the scenario if the Oyster starts to cover cycle
hire.

So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More complication
for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Roy Badami August 18th 10 09:23 AM

On 18/08/10 09:20, Roland Perry wrote:

So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More complication
for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Oh, it's much worse than that, because there's _real_ registration,
which involves handing in a paper form to a ticket office, and there's
the online thing which results in a card which isn't technically
registered, but has some (but not all) of the properties of a registered
Oyster card...

-roy

Recliner[_2_] August 18th 10 11:44 AM

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
On 18/08/10 09:20, Roland Perry wrote:

So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More
complication for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Oh, it's much worse than that, because there's _real_ registration,
which involves handing in a paper form to a ticket office, and there's
the online thing which results in a card which isn't technically
registered, but has some (but not all) of the properties of a
registered Oyster card...

Ah, I wasn't aware of that latter distinction. Is it just a quirk of
history or is there some reason for it? And what can't an on-line
registered card do?

[email protected] August 18th 10 01:00 PM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
On 18/08/10 09:20, Roland Perry wrote:

So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More
complication for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Oh, it's much worse than that, because there's _real_ registration,
which involves handing in a paper form to a ticket office, and there's
the online thing which results in a card which isn't technically
registered, but has some (but not all) of the properties of a
registered Oyster card...

Ah, I wasn't aware of that latter distinction. Is it just a quirk
of history or is there some reason for it? And what can't an
on-line registered card do?

Can one register a railcard to an online-registered card?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roy Badami August 18th 10 11:23 PM

On 18/08/10 12:44, Recliner wrote:
"Roy wrote in message

Oh, it's much worse than that, because there's _real_ registration,
which involves handing in a paper form to a ticket office, and there's
the online thing which results in a card which isn't technically
registered, but has some (but not all) of the properties of a
registered Oyster card...

Ah, I wasn't aware of that latter distinction. Is it just a quirk of
history or is there some reason for it? And what can't an on-line
registered card do?

I've no idea why, but it probably is a quirk of history.

As for differences - I'm pretty sure that real (paper) registration is
needed in order to allow you to load a monthly or annual Travelcard onto
your Oyster.

-roy

Roland Perry August 19th 10 08:00 AM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In message yBWao.43170$Dt3.759@hurricane, at 20:34:54 on Wed, 18 Aug
2010, " remarked:
So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More complication
for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Hardly.

Indeed, we are now told it's at least 4-tier!

Roy Badami August 19th 10 09:21 AM

On 19/08/10 09:00, Roland Perry wrote:
In message yBWao.43170$Dt3.759@hurricane, at 20:34:54 on Wed, 18 Aug
2010, " remarked:
So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More complication
for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Hardly.

Indeed, we are now told it's at least 4-tier!

I strongly suspect that you can set up auto-topup within only an online
account, but without true registration (can anyone confirm?). In which
case it's no longer a heirarchy.

Paul Scott August 19th 10 09:34 AM

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
On 18/08/10 12:44, Recliner wrote:

Ah, I wasn't aware of that latter distinction. Is it just a quirk of
history or is there some reason for it? And what can't an on-line
registered card do?

I've no idea why, but it probably is a quirk of history.

When I first registered online I couldn't see the journey history, although
auto top up was set OK. At the time, other posters here explained that only
a form handed in at a ticket office would enable that facility, and it
did...

Paul S