Old August 13th 10, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default LU A stock over NR routes

On 12 Aug, 14:24, MIG wrote:
On 12 Aug, 14:11, David Hansen
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:04:47 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be
wrote this:-

Now that the S stock trains are slowly going to be introduced into service how
will the A stock go to scrap? Its apparently 10cm wider than the maximum
network rail loading gauge (according to an article I read in Rail today) so
will they be able to move it by rail over some specially cleared routes or
will it have to go by road?

Presumably it arrived by rail, so that with a will there should be a
way of taking it away by rail. Perhaps lines have been closed since
the 1960s though.

--
* David Hansen, Edinburgh
*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me

Where does new stock get delivered to now, anyway?

In the distant past it was always delivered to West Ruislip for
commissioning, but I've been that way a few times, and it certainly
isn't full of 2009 stock or S stock.

2009 stock is delivered by road to Northumberland Park, as it isn't
cleared for passage on the Piccadilly and onto the Victoria line via
the crossovers from Finsbury Park.

The S-stock is delivered directly to Neasden for commissioning.

Old August 13th 10, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
06:39:17 on Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Andy remarked:
The S-stock is delivered directly to Neasden for commissioning.

By rail?
Old August 13th 10, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Aug 13, 7:34*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
06:39:17 on Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Andy remarked:

The S-stock is delivered directly to Neasden for commissioning.

By rail?

Yes, as mentioned by RPM.
Old August 13th 10, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Digressing somewhat....

I'm guessing that when the A stock finally bows out, there will be
enthusiast interest in a farewell tour. But can the A stock venture onto any
non-Met metals? For example, do they 'fit' east of Aldgate on the District,
if the doors are kept closed to avoid short platform issues? Otherwise, it
will be a farewell wholly over familiar territory, which would be
appropriate but not very novel.*

Do the London Transport Museum have plans to preserve an A stock unit, or at
least a driving car?

Chris

* But still more interesting than any 1967 stock farewell tour, which I
guess would be restricted to Vic metals?

Old August 13th 10, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Aug 13, 9:30*pm, "Chris Read" wrote:
Digressing somewhat....

I'm guessing that when the A stock finally bows out, there will be
enthusiast interest in a farewell tour. But can the A stock venture onto any
non-Met metals? For example, do they 'fit' east of Aldgate on the District,
if the doors are kept closed to avoid short platform issues? Otherwise, it
will be a farewell wholly over familiar territory, which would be
appropriate but not very novel.*

East of Aldgate, they used to fit at least as far as the St. Marys
curve onto the ELL and they can also go to Edgware Road in passenger
service. They also used to be cleared from Rayners Lane to Acton and
maybe even along the District to High Street Kensington and onto
Edgware Road, but I'm not sure if this route is still available.

Do the London Transport Museum have plans to preserve an A stock unit, or at
least a driving car?

Chris

* But still more interesting than any 1967 stock farewell tour, which I
guess would be restricted to Vic metals?

The 1967 stock has run one tour using the connections to/from the
Piccadilly line at Finsbury Park. I don't know if such a move would
still be possible.

Old August 17th 10, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:39:17 -0700 (PDT)
Andy wrote:
2009 stock is delivered by road to Northumberland Park, as it isn't
cleared for passage on the Piccadilly and onto the Victoria line via
the crossovers from Finsbury Park.

I read that 2009 stock is only 4cm wider that 67 stock. Are clearences
really so tight on the piccadilly that they couldn't be moved slowly via
rail over that line?

B2003

Old August 17th 10, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Andy wrote:
2009 stock is delivered by road to Northumberland Park, as it isn't
cleared for passage on the Piccadilly and onto the Victoria line via
the crossovers from Finsbury Park.

I read that 2009 stock is only 4cm wider that 67 stock. Are clearences
really so tight on the piccadilly that they couldn't be moved slowly via
rail over that line?

The cars are also slightly longer than the '67 stock, so the overhang
on the tight curves on the Piccadilly line is probably too much.
That's not to say that they wouldn't squeeze down the Piccadilly
tunnels running slowly, just that the time taken may be too long to
fit around the nightly engineering works.
Old August 17th 10, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 03:25:43 -0700 (PDT)
Andy wrote:
I read that 2009 stock is only 4cm wider that 67 stock. Are clearences
really so tight on the piccadilly that they couldn't be moved slowly via
rail over that line?

The cars are also slightly longer than the '67 stock, so the overhang
on the tight curves on the Piccadilly line is probably too much.
That's not to say that they wouldn't squeeze down the Piccadilly
tunnels running slowly, just that the time taken may be too long to
fit around the nightly engineering works.

You might have a point. Though the 73 stock on the piccadilly has very long
cars so I wouldn't have thought the overhang on the 2009 could be any greater
than those. *shrug*

B2003

Old August 17th 10, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Andy wrote:
I read that 2009 stock is only 4cm wider that 67 stock. Are clearences
really so tight on the piccadilly that they couldn't be moved slowly via
rail over that line?

The cars are also slightly longer than the '67 stock, so the overhang
on the tight curves on the Piccadilly line is probably too much.
That's not to say that they wouldn't squeeze down the Piccadilly
tunnels running slowly, just that the time taken may be too long to
fit around the nightly engineering works.

You might have a point. Though the 73 stock on the piccadilly has very long
cars so I wouldn't have thought the overhang on the 2009 could be any greater
than those. *shrug*

Yes, but the '73 stock is narrower than both the '67 and '09 stock,
the overhand at the corners depends on both the length, the width and
the positions of the bogies on the cars.
Old August 17th 10, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 06:38:33 -0700 (PDT)
Andy wrote:
Yes, but the '73 stock is narrower than both the '67 and '09 stock,
the overhand at the corners depends on both the length, the width and
the positions of the bogies on the cars.

Whatever the reason, to me it seems daft to have built a train to large to
be able to run on any other tube line and can't even be rail hauled to its
depot. And then instead of using the tiny amount of extra space the larger
size has gained they waste it with thick walls and door pillars. Common
sense was in short supply when the 2009 trains were designed IMO.

B2003