Old August 16th 10, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

Default Airside postboxes at London airports?

On 15/08/2010 23:36, Ian F. wrote:
wrote in message

Any reason for that?

I would imagine, for security - you can see what people have dropped
into them.

Ian

Thought that this might be the case.

Old August 16th 10, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

On 16/08/2010 20:11, Recliner wrote:
wrote in message
"Roland wrote in message
In messageBydao.10092$UD.6420@hurricane, at 17:19:44 on Mon, 16
Aug 2010, remarked:
How does 'To stop the bloody IRA from putting bombs in them' sound?

If they can see what is in the box they can decide if special
action is needed without disturbing the package.

Not if it has a pile of other letters on top of it.
--

It is a case of either that or no postbox at all. Organizations
that feel they are at risk from incoming mail have x-ray machines. As

In any case letter bombs were never true, they were small parcels and
the post boxes have a limited aperture.

From memory, aren't they also quite shallow?

No, I seem to remember that they were about the same height as your
standard pillar postboxes -- perhaps slightly higher.
Old August 16th 10, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

"Roland wrote in message
In messageBydao.10092$UD.6420@hurricane, at 17:19:44 on Mon, 16
Aug 2010, remarked:
How does 'To stop the bloody IRA from putting bombs in them'
sound?

If they can see what is in the box they can decide if special
action is needed without disturbing the package.

Not if it has a pile of other letters on top of it.
--

It is a case of either that or no postbox at all. Organizations
that feel they are at risk from incoming mail have x-ray machines.
As for your suggestion, true but it would be suspicious if someone
came and posted large number of items, there would be rare cause to
do so. In any case letter bombs were never true, they were small
parcels
and the post boxes have a limited aperture.

From memory, aren't they also quite shallow?

No, I seem to remember that they were about the same height as your
standard pillar postboxes -- perhaps slightly higher.

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I mean shallow depth, not height.

Old August 16th 10, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

"Roland wrote in message
In messageBydao.10092$UD.6420@hurricane, at 17:19:44 on Mon, 16
Aug 2010, remarked:
How does 'To stop the bloody IRA from putting bombs in them'
sound?

If they can see what is in the box they can decide if special
action is needed without disturbing the package.

Not if it has a pile of other letters on top of it.
--

It is a case of either that or no postbox at all. Organizations
that feel they are at risk from incoming mail have x-ray machines.
As for your suggestion, true but it would be suspicious if someone
came and posted large number of items, there would be rare cause to
do so. In any case letter bombs were never true, they were small
parcels
and the post boxes have a limited aperture.

From memory, aren't they also quite shallow?

No, I seem to remember that they were about the same height as your
standard pillar postboxes -- perhaps slightly higher.

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I mean shallow depth, not height.

Yes, I think they do have a pretty shallow depth.
Old August 16th 10, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 21:26:54 on
Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Recliner remarked:
From memory, aren't they also quite shallow?

No, I seem to remember that they were about the same height as your
standard pillar postboxes -- perhaps slightly higher.

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I mean shallow depth, not height.

The window is fairly flat, which reduces the depth a bit, but doesn't
have much impact on the volume. They are also bigger in cross-section
than the average cast-iron pavement pillar box, iirc.

Old August 16th 10, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 21:35:22 on Mon, 16 Aug
2010, Roland Perry remarked:
No, I seem to remember that they were about the same height as your
standard pillar postboxes -- perhaps slightly higher.

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I mean shallow depth, not height.

The window is fairly flat, which reduces the depth a bit, but doesn't
have much impact on the volume.

Here's a picture of one, that blows my mental image above (which would
be that sort of footprint but reversed Flat windows, kind of, but
three of them...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10951875@N07/2468901964/