Old August 15th 10, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

Default Airside postboxes at London airports?

On Aug 14, 7:12*pm, Mizter T wrote:
Are there any these days? Obviously I know there are postboxes at
airports (though I don't think they're always that easy to find), but
I haven't paid a great deal of attention to airside postboxes - and I
can imagine there may be whatever security concerns nowadays too.

Airport post boxes are a special design with a transparent back:
http://richardbaker.photoshelter.com...000H37o3FWcUQI

This BPMA factsheet claims that there's one airside in LHR T4:
http://postalheritage.org.uk/history...rch%202009.pdf
( http://tinyurl.com/2uu8ekz )
I also recently spotted one of these landside at the front entrance of
LCY. (I didn't pay too much attention to it, but the security check
area had a vending machine which appeared to be selling pre-stamped
padded envelopes, which I think might have been to let passengers post
any sharp or otherwise prohibited items back to themselves - I don't
recall if there was a post box nearby.)

On Aug 15, 12:18*am, "
wrote:

I have seen postboxes airside at Heathrow, but I don't reacll seeing
stamp machines to accompany them

Do they even sell stamps airside?

In WHSmith, no doubt.

On Aug 15, 4:20*pm, William Black wrote:

People like PC World/Dixons have shops at Heathrow...

Indeed, airports are the only places you'll still find a Dixons shop -
the rest are all Currys.digital these days.

Old August 15th 10, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

On 15/08/2010 16:45, martin wrote:
On Aug 14, 7:12 pm, Mizter wrote:
Are there any these days? Obviously I know there are postboxes at
airports (though I don't think they're always that easy to find), but
I haven't paid a great deal of attention to airside postboxes - and I
can imagine there may be whatever security concerns nowadays too.

Airport post boxes are a special design with a transparent back:
http://richardbaker.photoshelter.com...000H37o3FWcUQI

Any reason for that?
Old August 15th 10, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

wrote in message

Any reason for that?

I would imagine, for security - you can see what people have dropped into
them.

Ian

Old August 15th 10, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

On Aug 14, 7:12 pm, Mizter wrote:
Are there any these days? Obviously I know there are postboxes at
airports (though I don't think they're always that easy to find), but
I haven't paid a great deal of attention to airside postboxes - and I
can imagine there may be whatever security concerns nowadays too.

Airport post boxes are a special design with a transparent back:
http://richardbaker.photoshelter.com...000H37o3FWcUQI

Any reason for that?

How does 'To stop the bloody IRA from putting bombs in them' sound?

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old August 16th 10, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

"William Black" wrote in message

How does 'To stop the bloody IRA from putting bombs in them' sound?

If they can see what is in the box they can decide if special action is
needed without disturbing the package. After that they are in the same
position as with any abandoned item at the airport.

Old August 16th 10, 04:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

In message Bydao.10092$UD.6420@hurricane, at 17:19:44 on Mon, 16 Aug
2010, Buddenbrooks remarked:
How does 'To stop the bloody IRA from putting bombs in them' sound?

If they can see what is in the box they can decide if special action
is needed without disturbing the package.

Not if it has a pile of other letters on top of it.
Old August 16th 10, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

On 2010\08\16 17:44, Roland Perry wrote:
In message Bydao.10092$UD.6420@hurricane, at 17:19:44 on Mon, 16 Aug
2010, Buddenbrooks remarked:
How does 'To stop the bloody IRA from putting bombs in them' sound?

If they can see what is in the box they can decide if special action
is needed without disturbing the package.

Not if it has a pile of other letters on top of it.

How would they recognise one anyway, unless it was addressed to Kingdom
Come.
Old August 16th 10, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message Bydao.10092$UD.6420@hurricane, at 17:19:44 on Mon, 16 Aug
2010, Buddenbrooks remarked:
How does 'To stop the bloody IRA from putting bombs in them' sound?

If they can see what is in the box they can decide if special action is
needed without disturbing the package.

Not if it has a pile of other letters on top of it.
--

It is a case of either that or no postbox at all. Organizations that
feel they are at risk from incoming mail have x-ray machines. As for your

In any case letter bombs were never true, they were small parcels and the
post boxes have a limited aperture.