Old August 16th 10, 08:14 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

Default MNRR considers multi-level cars

On 16/08/2010 19:52, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Aug 16, 2:03 pm, Phil wrote:
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:46:24 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"

wrote:
Subways have no "luggage space" at all, and everyone copes. And,
horror of horrors, a few people might not even get a seat!

The IRT's Lo-Vs had space opposite the motorman's cab that we used to
use for backpacks when our Scout Troop went camping in New Jersey via
GWB buses. Those of us who were "signal watchers" took advantage of
that.

The new generations of subway cars have spring-down seats -- that is,
the normal position is up out of the way -- in the corners where
wheelchairs can park. (The seats are actually about 1 1/2 people
wide.) I've never seen a wheelchair-occupant using a subway, though.

Rolling stock on London's Piccadilly Line, which goes out to Heathrow
airport, has special spaces for luggage.

Northern Line and Jubilee Line trains also have fold down seats, as do
they new trains on the Victoria and Metropolitan Lines. I'm not sure if
if they are really meant for baggage the same way the spaces are on
Piccadilly trains, however.

Old August 16th 10, 10:30 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

*wrote:
Subways have no "luggage space" at all, and everyone copes. And,
horror of horrors, a few people might not even get a seat!

The IRT's Lo-Vs had space opposite the motorman's cab that we used to
use for backpacks when our Scout Troop went camping in New Jersey via
GWB buses. *Those of us who were "signal watchers" took advantage of
that.

The new generations of subway cars have spring-down seats -- that is,
the normal position is up out of the way -- in the corners where
wheelchairs can park. (The seats are actually about 1 1/2 people
wide.) I've never seen a wheelchair-occupant using a subway, though.

Rolling stock on London's Piccadilly Line, which goes out to Heathrow
airport, has special spaces for luggage.

Likewise on Chicago's "L" to O'Hare (I don't remember about the Midway
train), but as NYC doesn't have subways to the airports, that's
irrelevant.