Old August 30th 10, 07:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster question, please

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. London Visitor's Travelcard
is what I meant to say. Which had the intermediate day options
attached to it, although I see it has now been condensed into two
choices only - 3 or 7 days.
http://booking.britrail.com/index.ac...or_Travel_Card

I think you may have been looking at out of date information. The 3 day
cards are no longer sold. The announcement of this last year said it
was because of low sales and the way PAYG Oyster plus price cap gave
much the same result. The TfL site offers only the 1 and 7 day Visitor
Travelcards (as well as the Oyster of course): see
http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/english/introduction.htm

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old August 30th 10, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message Y9Aeo.54027$S_1.44579@hurricane of Sun, 29 Aug 2010
22:19:52 in uk.transport.london, Richard J.
writes
wrote on 29 August 2010 21:48:29 ...
...in the same way you're not allowed to share an Oyster with a period
Travelcard on it....

Another question I can't answer to my satisfaction on tfl's site: Is a
Travelcard loaded onto an Oyster the same thing as a traditional paper
travelcard? eg: it can be programmed to be effective 1, 3, 4 or 7 days?
If so, maybe that would solve my dilemma (or exacerbate it!).

Paper Travelcards are only available for 1 day (peak or off-peak), 7
days or longer (not 3 or 4 days). You can load a 7-day or longer
Travelcard on to an Oyster card, but not a 1-day Travelcard. The
benefits of a 1-day Travelcard are achieved by capping the PAYG charges
for travel on a single day.

Another advantage of Travelcards is that maximum journey times do not
apply. cf. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14872.aspx.

That page says "If you spend longer, you will be charged up to £7.00."
I have been charged £12.00 for such journeys. e.g. touch in peak time in
zone 3 and touch out in peak time in zone 1 more than 90 minutes later.
The 2 touches are charged as 2 journeys: 1 unfinished and 1 unstarted.
Ticket office staff are usually good enough to refund the quiet extra
charges - if you notice them being made.

That page does not describe combining a Travelcard and a PAYG fare.
e.g. If you have a Zone 1-2 Travelcard loaded on an Oyster card and
travel from Zone 1-4 in more than the maximum journey time. In that case
the maximum journey time ignores the Travelcard. Without a Travelcard,
each end of the journey is charged a maximum fare. I once made such a
journey and was charged a maximum fare for my exit.

The advantage of PAYG seems to be that you are charged a fairly
reasonable fare for journeys at the risk of touching problems on
Underground, DLR and National Rail.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old August 30th 10, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Robin" wrote in message
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. London Visitor's Travelcard
is what I meant to say. Which had the intermediate day options
attached to it, although I see it has now been condensed into two
choices only - 3 or 7 days.
http://booking.britrail.com/index.ac...or_Travel_Card

I think you may have been looking at out of date information. The 3 day
cards are no longer sold. The announcement of this last year said it was
because of low sales and the way PAYG Oyster plus price cap gave much the
same result. The TfL site offers only the 1 and 7 day Visitor Travelcards
(as well as the Oyster of course): see
http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/english/introduction.htm

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Appreciated. Thanks, Robin.