Old September 4th 10, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another Borris Bendy Bursts into Flames

In message , at 14:15:59 on
Sat, 4 Sep 2010, Basil Jet remarked:
There's nothing possibly to add to that. What kind of details were you
possibly thinking of?

Over on uk.railway, people often ask for the unit number (it's a
standing joke).

It was a person under a train, which is alas a
regular occurrence on the network, end of.

Jumped, fell or pushed seems a salient point.

If it was fell, and especially if pushed, you'd expect to see a news
item about it.

Old September 4th 10, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 00:49:07 -0700 (PDT), Fat richard
uttered:

Sorry for the tabloid headline !

08.45 Saturday . . . .Reports of a bendy bus going up in smoke at
Victoria bus ststaion - the one at the front of the station, not the
coach station (er obviously - but you see what I mean) London
Underground services running through but not calling - NR station open
with front entrances, not surprisingly, closed.

Richard

It was MA122 on route 73.
It was still there at 11.30.
The rear end was no more, as usual.
No proper pics as it was in the bus station with the shelters on both
sides which were cordoned off.

Dave
Old September 4th 10, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Fat richard" wrote
Sorry for the tabloid headline !

08.45 Saturday . . . .Reports of a bendy bus going up in smoke at
Victoria bus ststaion - the one at the front of the station, not the
coach station (er obviously - but you see what I mean) London
Underground services running through but not calling - NR station open
with front entrances, not surprisingly, closed.

I'm somewhat puzzled by this report... I arrived at King's Cross (from
Retford) at 0840, travelled by Victoria Line to Victoria (arrived around
0855) and waited for a friend who used the 0544 from Carlisle to Euston then
the Victoria Line. He turned up at around 0930 and then we both travelled
on the 0953 to East Grinstead for the special Bluebell train from their new
platform there. No indication of any problems while we were travelling to,
and while we were at, Victoria, and LU seemingly running normally.

John (now back in Retford).

Old September 4th 10, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message

"Fat richard" wrote in message
On 4 Sep, 11:06, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Fat richard" wrote in message

The short bit of film I saw on the news suggested a bit more than a bit of
smoldering, lots of black and grey smoke shooting upwards in that vigorous
way that suggests quite a jolly bonfire underneath.

....and here it is...
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old September 4th 10, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 22:02:26 +0100, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:

...and here it is...

Given that Citaros are used in very large numbers throughout Germany,
you'd think this sort of thing would have been ironed out. Has the
modification for right-hand drive perhaps put something hot next to
something flammable that isn't the case in the normal LHD model?

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.

Old September 4th 10, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

Given Boris's hatred for Bendies, shouldn't they be called Ken's Bendies?

I think Kendy Bus would sum it up well but it's a bit late now to make that
one stick. It's telling that this is one of the few policies where
Livingstone is not now promising a return to 2008.

Old September 4th 10, 11:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Sep, 22:46, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Given Boris's hatred for Bendies, shouldn't they be called Ken's Bendies?

I think Kendy Bus would sum it up well but it's a bit late now to make that
one stick. It's telling that this is one of the few policies where
Livingstone is not now promising a return to 2008.

I like 'em. I call it the Happy Happy Fun Bus.
Old September 5th 10, 04:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Neil Williams
writes

Given that Citaros are used in very large numbers throughout Germany,
you'd think this sort of thing would have been ironed out. Has the
modification for right-hand drive perhaps put something hot next to
something flammable that isn't the case in the normal LHD model?

Apparently the German ones are just as fire happy as the London
versions. It seems to be a Citaro thing.
Old September 5th 10, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

...and here it is...

Given that Citaros are used in very large numbers throughout Germany,
you'd think this sort of thing would have been ironed out. Has the
modification for right-hand drive perhaps put something hot next to
something flammable that isn't the case in the normal LHD model?

Or are German standards of maintenance higher?

Old September 5th 10, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 5 Sep, 09:07, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 22:34:10 +0100, Neil Williams

wrote:

...and here it is...

Given that Citaros are used in very large numbers throughout Germany,
you'd think this sort of thing would have been ironed out. *Has the
modification for right-hand drive perhaps put something hot next to
something flammable that isn't the case in the normal LHD model?

Hardly given that Berlin have had several go up in flames over the last
year or so. They've only just got round to fitting suppression equipment
for their fleet. Citaros have combusted ever since they came off the
production line. I've seen plenty of photos of lhd versions looking
singed. * I completely agree that whatever the root cause is that it
should have been identified and resolved by now.
--
Paul C

Maybe the insurance makes them cheaper to scrap once they've combusted?