Old September 27th 10, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern line lift at King's Cross

In message
, at
00:24:07 on Mon, 27 Sep 2010, lonelytraveller
remarked:
Half way through the lift journey, you'll see the passage. Then maybe
you might have an idea what it might be for, or where it goes, or why
its tiled like a public passage.

Not having sampled the Northern Line lift yet I can't comment
authoritatively, but could the "intermediate" level be one of the
concourse between the Piccadilly and Northern Lines or a link to the
(in)famous "SMILE" subway to Pentonville Road?

Its possible certainly, but it does head west and then turn north, so
its not really going in a sensible direction for that (the Piccadilly
concourse and SMILE subway are both to the east of the lift .

A better indication of depth would help a lot. Here are some numbers
which might help (all of them "below average street level"):

Top of new Northern lift, in old booking hall lower level: 5m
Bottom of new Northern lift, platform level: 27.25m
Piccadilly concourse: 21.5m

Which gives a drop of 22.25m, with the Piccadilly concourse 74% of the
way down.

The subway to Pentonville Road wanders around a bit, but isn't anywhere
near this new lift (and also on the wrong side). I'd guess it was about
15m below street level, which is 45% of the way down the new lift shaft.

The old Northern Line lift shafts are to the west of the new lift, and
according to Clive Feather's website there is an older emergency lift
(which is most likely to be in that vicinity). I wonder if this is a
connecting passageway to that emergency lift.

Old September 27th 10, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

The old Northern Line lift shafts are to the west of the new lift, and
according to Clive Feather's website there is an older emergency lift
(which is most likely to be in that vicinity). I wonder if this is a
connecting passageway to that emergency lift.

It isn't at all unlikely that there are unsigned links for use by the
maintenace staff of the fire brigade. Who knows what is provided for at
lower levels connected to the surface emergency access - I don't recall ever
seeing details of the 'back of house' at lower levels in any of the many
drawings I've found, or have been linked to here...

Paul S

Old September 27th 10, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote on 27 September 2010 01:36:36 ...

On Sep 26, 11:20 pm, Roy wrote:

On 26/09/10 21:46, Barry Salter wrote:

or a link to the
(in)famous "SMILE" subway to Pentonville Road?

What's the SMILE subway? The only hit Google brings up is a reference
to Thameslink -- is that the passageway from the old Thameslink station
to the Victoria and Piccadilly lines?

Yes - the old KX Thameslink station's entrance on Pentonville Road is
still open these days albeit weekdays only between (IIRC) 7am and 8pm
(responsibility for it passed from FCC Thameslink to LU).

The Smile passageway is so called because...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67655316@N00/225943955/

Because ....?
--
Richard J.
Old September 27th 10, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Sep, 17:17, Roland Perry wrote:
The old Northern Line lift shafts are to the west of the new lift, and
according to Clive Feather's website there is an older emergency lift
(which is most likely to be in that vicinity). I wonder if this is a
connecting passageway to that emergency lift.

That's plausible, but why is it tiled and lit like a public area,
rather than a rough finish like an emergency access passage?

Also, what would be the point of a passage connecting two lift shafts
together, when its already fairly easy to get between the lifts at
platform level, and surface level?

Old September 27th 10, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
12:29:17 on Mon, 27 Sep 2010, lonelytraveller
remarked:
The old Northern Line lift shafts are to the west of the new lift, and
according to Clive Feather's website there is an older emergency lift
(which is most likely to be in that vicinity). I wonder if this is a
connecting passageway to that emergency lift.

That's plausible, but why is it tiled and lit like a public area,
rather than a rough finish like an emergency access passage?

I don't know. How long is the passage? I've asked some other questions,
tacked onto your initial posting.

Also, what would be the point of a passage connecting two lift shafts
together, when its already fairly easy to get between the lifts at
platform level, and surface level?

Perhaps one or other of the (upper/lower) access points to the emergency
lift will be obscured by some other of the current works. Although one
might imagine that the new public lift could entirely obsolete the
emergency one.

Old September 27th 10, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
02:53:47 on Sat, 25 Sep 2010, lonelytraveller
remarked:
when the lift gets about half way between them, or perhaps nearer to
"-3", there is a tunnel on the west side (that's the side you enter the
lift on at level "-1"

When you enter the lift, are the escalators behind you, or are they
directly 'ahead' of you? Or to the side?

and the opposite side to the exit at level "-3").

When the doors open on -3, are the majority of the platforms directly
ahead of you (ignoring any kinks in short connecting passages), or are
they 'behind' you?

Old September 27th 10, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
01:34:37 on Sun, 26 Sep 2010, lonelytraveller
remarked:
Next time you're there, take the lift. If you go in from the
platforms, face the opposite way, if you go in from the ticket hall,
turn round and face the doors you came in through.

That suggests you need to "about-face" whichever end of the lift you
entered. So are these three doors all facing the same way, just at
different heights?
Old September 27th 10, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Paul Scott wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

The old Northern Line lift shafts are to the west of the new lift, and
according to Clive Feather's website there is an older emergency lift
(which is most likely to be in that vicinity). I wonder if this is a
connecting passageway to that emergency lift.

It isn't at all unlikely that there are unsigned links for use by the
maintenace staff of the fire brigade. Who knows what is provided for at
lower levels connected to the surface emergency access - I don't recall
ever seeing details of the 'back of house' at lower levels in any of the
many drawings I've found, or have been linked to here...

Doesn't Euston famously have some whole unused levels in its stack? And i
don't mean the parcel depot above the platforms!

tom

--
The cause? Thatcher again. Not for any specific reasons but she's always
the root of every problem in Britain today. -- Mike
Old September 28th 10, 06:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Sep, 21:34, Roland Perry wrote:
That's plausible, but why is it tiled and lit like a public area,
rather than a rough finish like an emergency access passage?

I don't know. How long is the passage? I've asked some other questions,
tacked onto your initial posting.

The visible part is about as long as the eastern northern line
concourse.

Also, what would be the point of a passage connecting two lift shafts
together, when its already fairly easy to get between the lifts at
platform level, and surface level?

Perhaps one or other of the (upper/lower) access points to the emergency
lift will be obscured by some other of the current works. Although one
might imagine that the new public lift could entirely obsolete the
emergency one.

I still can't see why going up one lift half way, along a passage, and
then up the other lift, would ever be better than just going all the
way up one of the lifts?

Next time you're there, take the lift. If you go in from the
platforms, face the opposite way, if you go in from the ticket hall,
turn round and face the doors you came in through.

That suggests you need to "about-face" whichever end of the lift you
entered. So are these three doors all facing the same way, just at
different heights?

No. If you go in from the platforms, face the opposite way from the
door you came in through. If you go in from the ticket hall, turn
round and face the SAME way as the door you came in through.

Old September 28th 10, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Sep, 21:39, Roland Perry wrote:
When you enter the lift, are the escalators behind you, or are they
directly 'ahead' of you? Or to the side?

Behind you.

and the opposite side to the exit at level "-3").

When the doors open on -3, are the majority of the platforms directly
ahead of you (ignoring any kinks in short connecting passages), or are
they 'behind' you?

Most of the platform is behind you (to your left and right). You are
facing the east end of the platforms, looking at the escalators
leading to the piccadilly line.