Old September 28th 10, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Up/down/northbound/westbound?

Methinks this thread has degenerated into uk.railway over analysis and
trying to put literal meaning behind words.

EB NB WB SB are merely vague terms in relation to compass directions
but very specific terms of opposing directions of running.

No more emphasis on EB NB SB WB should be taken than on Up and Down -
trains do not literally go Up or go Down.

There is no ore to the LU terms than that.

--
Nick

Old September 28th 10, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Pat Ricroft wrote:

On 28 Sep, 08:13, wrote:
There's also the problem of deciding where in central London the
southbound line say would change from being 'up' (which is normally
but not always TO London) to 'down' - away from London.

Metrolink (trams) get round this by relating everything to the delta
junction at the centre of the network, near Piccadilly Gardens. They
run inbound services as far as the junction. Once through the junction
they become outbound services.

Quite what will happen if they build the proposed secondary line
through the city centre, bypassing the delta junction, is another
matter.

Roundbound?

tom

--
These spoiled youths forget that when they are shaven they look like
boiled potatoes. -- Tara Singh
Old September 28th 10, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Methinks this thread has degenerated into uk.railway over analysis and
trying to put literal meaning behind words.

EB NB WB SB are merely vague terms in relation to compass directions
but very specific terms of opposing directions of running.

No more emphasis on EB NB SB WB should be taken than on Up and Down -
trains do not literally go Up or go Down.

OTOH, despite the fact that not all posters to this thread are in entire
agreement, I think we've learnt four things (all of which were new to
me, at least). I did know that LUL tracks were generally designated by
compass points rather than as up/down as used on the main railway
network, but I think I've learnt from this thread that:

1. The public signage doesn't always correspond to the designation of
the tracks.

2. The circle line tracks are designated as inner and outer (although
the public signage is based on compass points -- see 1 above).

3. Some lines change designation along their length; others don't, even
if that means their direction may not particularly correspond to their
designation (but see 1 above)

4. (I think) Where lines change designation along their length, they
remain with WIND (West/Inner/North/Down) and OUSE (Outer/Up/South/East)
-- so a Westbound track can change designation to a Northbound track but
not to a Southbound track.

Have I understood right?

-roy
Old September 28th 10, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Roy Badami wrote:

On 28/09/10 10:40, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
we could call them
direction Fred and direction John for all it matters as long as everyone
knows what we're talking about.

Or perhaps direction 'up' and direction 'down' :-)

No, clearly they should be left and right. After all, if you stand and
look at the tracks, then one is on the left, and the other on the right.
Stands to reason.

tom

Old September 28th 10, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 04:48:57 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be tedjrr
wrote this:-

Did the Midland definitions of up/down remain after grouping,

They remain to this day. Changing designation would be a fraught
task, I can see why it would be put off even if it was thought to be
a good idea.

Lines presumably change designation somewhere in Derby Midland
station. Perhaps there is some sort of object which marks the spot.

There is - milepost zero for the west line is clearly visible at Derby South
Junction.

Regards

Jonathan

Old September 28th 10, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 28/09/10 23:35, Tom Anderson wrote:

No, clearly they should be left and right. After all, if you stand and
look at the tracks, then one is on the left, and the other on the right.
Stands to reason.

direction 'forwards' and 'direction backwards' perhaps? ;-)
Old September 28th 10, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:59:17 +0100, "Martin Rich"
wrote:

Because it's
common in America for one stretch of road to form part of more than one
highway, you'll sometimes see a road which carries more than one number and
more than one direction (I'm not sure if I'm explaining it very well;
perhaps an American could put it better)

Not an American, but I have some experience of their roads

Generally speaking, odd numbered roads are N-S; even numbered E-W. So
I-5 goes from the Canadian border to the Mexican border and 1-90 goes
from Boston in the East to Seattle in the West, etc. etc. In some
places, roads merge then separate but keep their numbering before and
after.

As an example, east of Reno, Nevada, Interstate 80 and Highway 95
share the same road: I-80 East/West is the same piece of road as 95
North/South.
Old September 28th 10, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 29/09/10 00:12, Ivor The Engine wrote:
In some
places, roads merge then separate but keep their numbering before and
after.

That happens here, too.

The difference is what happens during. In the UK, the common section
has the number of the most major road (only), leading the minor road(s)
to be discontinuous. In the US (and I think in many parts of Europe?)
the common section bears multiple designations.

-roy
Old September 28th 10, 11:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sep 28, 11:34*pm, Roy Badami wrote:
[...]

The northern part of the Circle is designated Inner/Outer Rail (from
the junction at Gloucester Road to/from the junction east of Tower
Hill). The southern part is designated East/West bound due to being
the main District route.

3. *Some lines change designation along their length; others don't, even
if that means their direction may not particularly correspond to their
designation (but see 1 above)

4. *(I think) Where lines change designation along their length, they
remain with WIND (West/Inner/North/Down) and OUSE (Outer/Up/South/East)
-- so a Westbound track can change designation to a Northbound track but
not to a Southbound track.

Except the Inner rail becomes the Eastbound track at Gloucester Road
and similarly for the Westbound and Outer. The southern part of the
District, may of course, have alternative names depending on whether
the train is a Circle or District one.