Old October 6th 10, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Up/down/northbound/westbound?

In message , at 20:19:49 on
Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Yokel remarked:
There's a bit of the M25 near South Mimms that "used to be" something
else (A6 probably), before the plonked the M25 on top of it. At least
they gave non-motorway drivers a new alignment alongside (albeit a
B-road): http://goo.gl/maps/PFIN

It used to be the Rickmansworth by-pass. I once had a friend in King's
Langley and remember using this bypass long before the M25 arrived - I
wondered why it had a right-angled bend with an apparently unnecessary
roundabout and slip roads (now part of one of the M25 junctions). But
they obviously knew it was coming and so there had been some forward
planning.

That's a completely different bit of M25, about 15 miles away.

Old October 6th 10, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Yokel wrote on 06 October 2010
20:19:49 ...
On 04/10/2010 14:38, Roland Perry wrote:

There's a bit of the M25 near South Mimms that "used to be" something
else (A6 probably), before the plonked the M25 on top of it. At least
they gave non-motorway drivers a new alignment alongside (albeit a
B-road): http://goo.gl/maps/PFIN

Yes, that alignment between just south of South Mimms and London Colney
became dual carriageway at some time before 1967, and was the A6. I
suspect it wasn't built to motorway standard and had to be
widened/reconstructed to turn it into the M25 (junctions 22 to 23) in 1986.

It used to be the Rickmansworth by-pass.

That was a different road. It was built to motorway standard and opened
in 1975 as A405 (North Orbital Road). It became M25 in 1985, junctions
17 to 19, inculding the long slip road at J.19 to link with A41.

... - I wondered why it had a right-angled bend with an apparently
unnecessary roundabout and slip roads (now part of one of the M25
junctions).

That's J.17, with a link to A412 at Maple Cross.
--
Richard J.
Old October 6th 10, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2010\10\06 21:23, Richard J. wrote:
Yokel wrote on 06 October 2010
20:19:49 ...
On 04/10/2010 14:38, Roland Perry wrote:

There's a bit of the M25 near South Mimms that "used to be" something
else (A6 probably), before the plonked the M25 on top of it. At least
they gave non-motorway drivers a new alignment alongside (albeit a
B-road): http://goo.gl/maps/PFIN

Yes, that alignment between just south of South Mimms and London Colney
became dual carriageway at some time before 1967, and was the A6. I
suspect it wasn't built to motorway standard and had to be
widened/reconstructed to turn it into the M25 (junctions 22 to 23) in 1986.

IIRC it was used unchanged in the South Mimms area.
Old October 7th 10, 08:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 23:00:01 on
Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Basil Jet remarked:
Yes, that alignment between just south of South Mimms and London Colney
became dual carriageway at some time before 1967, and was the A6. I
suspect it wasn't built to motorway standard and had to be
widened/reconstructed to turn it into the M25 (junctions 22 to 23) in 1986.

IIRC it was used unchanged in the South Mimms area.

My recollection is that the whole stretch of road was rebuilt and
widened.

(By an odd coincidence I also used to regularly drive on the
"Rickmansworth Bypass" section, which wasn't.)
Old November 6th 10, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sep 30, 9:25*pm, "Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:

In 1901 the District used Up and Down (Up was generally westwards), the
Metropolitan used Up and Down (Up was generally eastwards/southwards),
and the C&SLR used Up and Down (Up was generally northwards).

When this thread appeared I knew lurking in my deeper recesses of grey
matter a present day *LU* use of the term Up somewhere.

I realised this week where I had seen it - its on full public view. On
the Met. at Baker Street on the east side (dare I say Up side?) of the
SB line in the station throat, not far off the north end of the
recently extended Pl.4, there is a group of traction section gubbins
in their yellow housimgs with enamel POS and NEG nameplates including
Up Loop. I believe this is still the present day designation of that
track although I'm not involved with SSL stuff so don't know for sure;
not marked with any name in any of the editons of Quail I have here,
but I don't have all of them.

If Up Loop is the tracks correct name, I'd suggest this is more the
exception to prove the rule, and it is a legacy name, not indicative
of LU general use of the term Up.

--
Nick

Old November 7th 10, 08:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sep 30, 8:03*pm, Yokel wrote:

But road re-numbering schemes can throw all this out. *Can someone who
lives round that part of the world explain why if you look on Google
Maps for Sidmouth (I happen to be going there in a couple of weeks), the
road to it from Sidford is shown on the map display as the B3175, but in
the actual camera shots of the junction the road signs say "A375"?

--
* - Yokel -

Recent renumbering, just south of Sidford you pass a sign saying A375
(with B3175 crossed out underneath) http://bit.ly/93TDdN for
Streetview of the sign