Old September 28th 10, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Up/down/northbound/westbound?

I've never understood why the Piccadilly line from Kings Cross to
Cockfosters is described as 'Eastbound', when it patently isn't.

Peter

Old September 28th 10, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

peter wrote:

I've never understood why the Piccadilly line from Kings Cross to
Cockfosters is described as 'Eastbound', when it patently isn't.

Have you also wondered why the whole system is called "Underground",
when it patently isn't.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683688.html
(53890 (Class 116) at Birmingham New Street, 1985)
Old September 28th 10, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message
"Graham Harrison" wrote:

On the "Main Line" trains are usually referred to as going "up" or "down"
by
the staff. However, it seems that, even "London Transport" refer to
Underground lines by their geographic direction; it's not just the public
signs that say "Northbound" etc. Is that correct? Did they ever use
up/down? I've seen it suggested that the reason for using "Southbound"
etc. is related to the American involvement in the building of some of
the
tube lines; comments?

The main line use of up/down is not applicable to the UndergrounD so the
geographic system is more appropriate. I believe such useage predates
Yerkes
involvement.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/

Yes, when I read it I did think that (a) up/down wasn't appropriate and (b)
what happened before Yerkes.

But

I also wondered about the Metropolitan given its' grand plans and whether
the line through Rickmansworth was ever up/down?

Old September 28th 10, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 28 Sep, 09:48, Pat Ricroft wrote:
On 28 Sep, 08:22, Frank Erskine wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:12:19 -0700 (PDT), "

I make it a practice to always take an "up" train from Berwick-upon-
Tweed

To where?

To the nearest capital city.
--

That would be a Down train then.

Old September 28th 10, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Railsigns.co.uk wrote:

On 28 Sep, 09:48, Pat Ricroft wrote:
On 28 Sep, 08:22, Frank Erskine wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:12:19 -0700 (PDT), "

I make it a practice to always take an "up" train from Berwick-upon-
Tweed

To where?

To the nearest capital city.
--

That would be a Down train then.

"Doon", shurely?
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632886.html
(33 111 at Weymouth Town, May 1985)
Old September 28th 10, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Basil Jet wrote on 28 September 2010
02:52:42 ...
On 2010\09\28 02:28, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:35:24 +0100, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

On the "Main Line" trains are usually referred to as going "up" or "down" by
the staff. However, it seems that, even "London Transport" refer to
Underground lines by their geographic direction;

First, try defining up/down on the Circle Line.

Try defining north/south/east/west on the Circle Line. ;-)

Unfortunately LU do so. I've heard references to "westbound Circle
Line" at High Street Kensington, referring to the inner rail which goes
south then east.
--
Richard J.
Old September 28th 10, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 28/09/10 10:40, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
we could call them
direction Fred and direction John for all it matters as long as everyone
knows what we're talking about.

Or perhaps direction 'up' and direction 'down' :-)

Old September 28th 10, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message of Tue, 28 Sep 2010
10:40:30 in uk.transport.london, Steve Fitzgerald ]
writes
In message
s.com, bob writes

Out if idle curiosity, at what point on the Heathrow loop does
westbound become eastbound? Was there a change with the opening of
terminal 5? Also, is the direction maintained for the length of a
whole line, or do they change with geography? On the Jubilee line,
for example, from a compass perspective, what is northbound in the
east is southbound in the west for the same "logical" direction.

From Hatton Cross to PiccEx Junction (where the T5 extension goes off)
you are referred to as being in the loop. As you can only go one way,
it's not a problem.

Regarding an earlier comment about why the Picc uses east-west when it
'patently isn't'. Well it's safety; the Picc has been defined as an
east - west railway and references internally stick to that. After
all, it is possible to approach Cockfosters heading virtually west on
the eastbound but it would be silly to keep changing the references as
that would just cause confusion. Once we know which is the eastbound
or westbound road it doesn't matter which actual direction it goes; we
could call them direction Fred and direction John for all it matters as
long as everyone knows what we're talking about.

From a customer perspective, all Piccadilly platforms are Eastbound or
Westbound, apart from Finsbury Park where Northbound and Southbound are
used. I assumed this is for compatibility with Victoria Line directions.

Do internal references at FPK use Eastbound and Westbound or NS?

I may as well list my understanding for all London Underground lines:

Bakerloo: NS

Central: EW; flips at Hainault.

Circle: EW except SN at Aldgate. Flips at Aldgate and Gloucester Road.

District: EW

Hammersmith & City: EW

Jubilee: NS - Stanmore to Green Park - otherwise WE

Metropolitan: NS except WE at Chesham, Uxbridge - West Harrow, Great
Portland Street - Liverpool Street.

Northern: NS

Piccadilly: EW except NS at Finsbury Park

Victoria: NS

Waterloo & City: NS
--
Walter Briscoe
Old September 28th 10, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"D7666" wrote in message
On Sep 28, 2:52 am, Basil Jet wrote:

Underground lines by their geographic direction;

First, try defining up/down on the Circle Line.

Try defining north/south/east/west on the Circle Line. ;-)

We don't for internal use.

We use 'inner' and 'outer'

Up in Glasgow they use inner and outer circle for the Subway and the
Cathcart circle. The latter use 2Ixx and 2Oxx for the headcodes on the
Cathcart circle.

John