Old September 29th 10, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL 7 day capping

It looks like the long-rumoured 7 day PAYG capping will finally be
coming to TfL.

see page 46 of
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-Sep-2010.pdf

It looks like it will only be available on contactless EMV bank cards,
rather than on Oyster cards.

Old September 29th 10, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

see page 46 ofhttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/Item06-Op-Fin-Perfor...

It looks like it will only be available on contactless EMV bank cards,
rather than on Oyster cards.

Presumably to encourage people who have to travel in the peaks every
day to switch to PAYG from season tickets, but with the side effect of
bringing back into the peaks all the people who'd been avoiding the
peaks to use PAYG?

And it does away with the benefits of season tickets for a lot of
punters (eg using in combination with out of Oyster zone etc).

If they were to withdraw weekly travelcards on Oyster, they same way
they won't offer day travelcards due to capping being equivalent, it
could disadvantage a lot of people, because they are season tickets
with different conditions and with wider validity (eg with ToCs that
don't accept PAYG but accept travelcard seasons with extensions).
Old September 30th 10, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:10:04 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

It looks like it will only be available on contactless EMV bank cards,
rather than on Oyster cards.

I still think it'd make more sense overall if they instead gave you
"free credit" when topping up a large amount instead, then just having
the daily cap.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old September 30th 10, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
It looks like it will only be available on contactless EMV bank cards,
rather than on Oyster cards.

I still think it'd make more sense overall if they instead gave you
"free credit" when topping up a large amount instead, then just having
the daily cap.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.

It was reported by the BBC today on the lines of "end of Oyster".
They had obviously picked up on the change of technology rather than
the capping,
Old September 30th 10, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/09/10 17:10, Matthew Dickinson wrote:
It looks like the long-rumoured 7 day PAYG capping will finally be
coming to TfL.

see page 46 of
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-Sep-2010.pdf

It looks like it will only be available on contactless EMV bank cards,
rather than on Oyster cards.

"The Future Ticketing Project enables the acceptance as payment for
travel of contactless cards issued on an EMV (Eurocard, Mastercard,
Visa) platform both by banks and by TfL."

So it's not just bank cards; TfL will be issuing EMV cards by the sound
of it.

I imagine these TfL-issued EMV cards will look and work much like
current Oyster cards, perhaps with some branding such as Oyster+ to make
it easier to explain to people that they need to upgrade their card to
take advantage of 7 day capping and any other new features.

-roy

Old September 30th 10, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
It looks like it will only be available on contactless EMV bank cards,
rather than on Oyster cards.

I still think it'd make more sense overall if they instead gave you
"free credit" when topping up a large amount instead, then just having
the daily cap.

I don't. Daily capping is great.
Old September 30th 10, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 13:45:22 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

I still think it'd make more sense overall if they instead gave you
"free credit" when topping up a large amount instead, then just having
the daily cap.

I don't. Daily capping is great.

I think you misunderstand. I'd keep daily capping, but if, for the
sake of argument, the daily 1-6 cap is £10, a weekly 1-6 is £50 and a
monthly 1-6 is £200, the following would apply:-

For each full £50 topped up, you get £70 worth of travel.

For each full £200 topped up, you get £300 worth of travel.

add annual version

(These might need a bit of a tweak, to bear in mind that many season
ticket holders will only use their ticket 5 days out of 7).

You thus do away with the need for any sort of cap other than a daily
one, and do away with season tickets completely.

Neil
Old September 30th 10, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
I still think it'd make more sense overall if they instead gave you
"free credit" when topping up a large amount instead, then just having
the daily cap.

I don't. Daily capping is great.

I think you misunderstand. *I'd keep daily capping, but if, for the
sake of argument, the daily 1-6 cap is £10, a weekly 1-6 is £50 and a
monthly 1-6 is £200, the following would apply:-

For each full £50 topped up, you get £70 worth of travel.

For each full £200 topped up, you get £300 worth of travel.

add annual version

(These might need a bit of a tweak, to bear in mind that many season
ticket holders will only use their ticket 5 days out of 7).

You thus do away with the need for any sort of cap other than a daily
one, and do away with season tickets completely.

And do away with all the conditions and validity that apply to season
tickets. No thanks.
Old September 30th 10, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I still think it'd make more sense overall if they instead gave you
"free credit" when topping up a large amount instead, then just having
the daily cap.

I don't. Daily capping is great.

I think you misunderstand. *I'd keep daily capping, but if, for the
sake of argument, the daily 1-6 cap is £10, a weekly 1-6 is £50 and a
monthly 1-6 is £200, the following would apply:-

For each full £50 topped up, you get £70 worth of travel.

For each full £200 topped up, you get £300 worth of travel.

add annual version

(These might need a bit of a tweak, to bear in mind that many season
ticket holders will only use their ticket 5 days out of 7).

You thus do away with the need for any sort of cap other than a daily
one, and do away with season tickets completely.

Aha, OK. Well I'd have to go away and scratch my head and think about
that before giving a verdict on it.

My instant reaction is that there'd likely be a number of untoward and
unintended consequences of doing such a thing - most obviously, the
lack of ability to buy BZ extension tickets in combo with a season
Travelcard for journeys to places outwith London (I'm told there is a
whole world out there yonder the city limits, hard as that may be to
believe... ;-)
Old September 30th 10, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

[...]

And thereby validity with operators who don't accept PAYG, and refunds
for poor performance.