Old October 1st 10, 11:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail and Tube upgrades spared the axe - NCE

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 03:48:24 -0700 (PDT)
Nick wrote:
On Oct 1, 11:45=A0am, wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 11:34:03 +0100

Bruce wrote:
extension of the congestion charging zone or axes concessionary bus
and tram fares for 16-17 year olds."

Why should they get cheaper fares in the first place? Is there something
special about that particular age group?

B2003

Because most of them aren't working perhaps?????

Yeah, and? I don't notice the unemployed getting discounts on the tube.

B2003

Old October 1st 10, 11:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Bruce wrote:
extension of the congestion charging zone or axes concessionary bus
and tram fares for 16-17 year olds."

Why should they get cheaper fares in the first place? Is there something
special about that particular age group?

I think they should be charged quadruple and prohibited from sitting
down.

And not allowed on the top deck of a double decker either.

B2003

Old October 1st 10, 11:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote

Yeah, and? I don't notice the unemployed getting discounts on the tube.

If they're on New Deal they do
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14423.aspx

Peter
Old October 1st 10, 01:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 12:59:40 +0100
"Peter Masson" wrote:
wrote

Yeah, and? I don't notice the unemployed getting discounts on the tube.

If they're on New Deal they do
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14423.aspx

I gave up trying to find out what the conditions were. I think for most its
fair to say they won't get a discount.

B2003

Old October 1st 10, 01:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Oct 1, 2:16*pm, "Tim Fenton" wrote:

"Peter Masson" wrote:

Doesn't the NMW only apply to over 18s?

Has applied to 16 and 17 year olds (over school leaving age) since 2004..
Current rate (as from today) for 16 and 17-year-olds is GBP 3.64 ph.
As from today there is also a NMW for apprentices (under 19, or over 19 in
first year of apprenticeship of GBP 2.50 ph

Sorry Peter, I wasn't being precise enough - meant *full adult* NMW.

The 'full adult' NMW only applies to those 21 and over - as of today
it's £5.93, and also as of today it applies to 21 years olds - it used
to apply to those aged 22 plus.

BBC News story on today's changes:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11446282

Also, see this NMW on Directgov:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/employme...ay/dg_10027201

---quote---
Current NMW rates

There are different levels of NMW, depending on your age and whether
you are an apprentice. The current rates a

£5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
£4.92 - the 18-20 rate
£3.64 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under
18
£2.50 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over
and in the first year of their apprenticeship
The age at which you become entitled to the main rate was reduced from
22 to 21 on 1 October 2010. The apprentice rate was introduced on the
same date.

If you are of compulsory school age you are not entitled to the NMW.
Some of your other employment rights are also different.
---/quote---

The HMRC webpage on the NMW has not yet been updated to reflect
today's changes:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/
Old October 1st 10, 01:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 1 Oct, 14:30, wrote:
On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 13:15:56 +0100

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:59:59 on Fri, 1 Oct
2010, remarked:
Is there something
special about that particular age group?

They are soon to be under school leaving age. And the majority will be
students of one kind or another, even if they've left school.

A student is someone who goes to university

No, a student is someone over the school leaving age who is being
educated.

Well I know its trendy and inclusive to call everyone who does some tin pot part
time course on yoghurt knitting a student but the generally accepted definition is
someone who goes to *higher* education. Not get-a-clue education for ****wits who
had just about learnt to write their name when they left school.

B2003

You think knitting yoghurt is easy?

Anyway, the definition of higher education is pretty much down to
where the funding comes from, not its content or level.