Old October 3rd 10, 05:50 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Default Bus Drivers Indulging In Road Rage

Nigel Oldfield wrote:

People can take a lot of pride and satisfaction in doing a job well,

Not if they hate it with a vengeance.

I have had several jobs that I hated with a vengeance. The only way I
kept my sanity was to do them well and gain some pride and
satisfaction from doing that.

I repeat, the modern day intolerance of a job that is less than
'perfect' only makes people unhappier than they need to be. In other
words, their pain is self inflicted.

Old October 3rd 10, 05:55 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

"Pete Zahut" wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Why should a white person feel uncomfortable or even offended by a
black person making jokes about black people?

You can take political correctness too far.

Little Miss Jocelyn was both intelligent and hilarious - in my
opinion, one of the funniest comedy programmes of recent years!

However, the novelty wore off. The first series was nominated for a
BAFTA but the second series didn't attract such a big audience despite
being moved from BBC3 to BBC2. It got some poor reviews. Perhaps
there was too much carried over from the first series and not enough
new material.

No, it was just crap and unfunny.

No-one forced you to watch it. Doesn't your TV have an off button, or
the facility to change to another channel?

Anyway, it wasn't "crap and unfunny", otherwise it wouldn't have been
nominated for a BAFTA. If it wasn't to your taste, and you carried on
watching it, then tough!

The first series was one of the funniest comedy shows I have seen for
a few years. The second series fell a little flat which is presumably
why it was dropped.

Old October 3rd 10, 06:01 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Nigel Oldfield wrote:

No, it was just crap and unfunny.

No, just very dangerous, a black woman being honest and satirical.

I asked several black friends what they thought of the show when the
first series was on. Some of them thought it was hilarious, some
thought it was mildly funny, but they all enjoyed it.

A couple of them, of West Indian origin, thought that Jocelyn Jee
Esien, who is of Nigerian origin, was particularly good when
lampooning Caribbean people in general and Jamaicans in particular.

No-one was in the least bit offended. Far from it!

Old October 3rd 10, 06:03 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

The Peeler wrote:
On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 10:16:38 +0100, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:
It was incredibly offensive (to blacks, I thought) and some episodes
scarcely had a laugh, others were very good.

Perhaps the BBC thought she could get away with being offensive
because she was black herself.

Does anyone find it offensive when white female comedians lampoon
white people?

Old October 3rd 10, 06:05 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

People can take a lot of pride and satisfaction in doing a job well,

Not if they hate it with a vengeance.

I have had several jobs that I hated with a vengeance. *The only way I
kept my sanity was to do them well and gain some pride and
satisfaction from doing that.

You see, *you* found a coping mechanism - excellent.

BTW, were you in tears, knocking your head against the wall
(literally), nearly every morning, IBS filling your loo a number of
times a day? that is hating your job.

I repeat, the modern day intolerance of a job that is less than
'perfect' only makes people unhappier than they need to be. *In other
words, their pain is self inflicted.

But real. We respond in response to our environment (alongside our
genetics). Our present environment (and our principles) promotes your
'intolerance of a job' mindset; some would say this 'a good thing'

WM

Old October 3rd 10, 06:10 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

No-one was in the least bit offended. Far from it!

Did I say dangerous to blacks?

WM
Old October 3rd 10, 06:20 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Nigel Oldfield wrote:
No-one was in the least bit offended. Far from it!

Did I say dangerous to blacks?

I wasn't arguing with you!

Perhaps I should have started and ended my message with the words
"PLEASE NOTE, I AM AGREEING WITH YOU".

Old October 3rd 10, 06:29 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Nigel Oldfield wrote:
People can take a lot of pride and satisfaction in doing a job well,

Not if they hate it with a vengeance.

I have had several jobs that I hated with a vengeance. *The only way I
kept my sanity was to do them well and gain some pride and
satisfaction from doing that.

You see, *you* found a coping mechanism - excellent.

BTW, were you in tears, knocking your head against the wall
(literally), nearly every morning, IBS filling your loo a number of
times a day? that is hating your job.

If I hadn't found a way to cope, I feel sure I would have been. Yes,
I suffered from IBS and still do. Perhaps you have pointed out why!

By the way, added to your list was that the money they paid me wasn't
enough to live on at more than a subsistence level.

But 10 years before, people in my position actually paid their
"employers" for the privilege of doing what I did. At least I got a
salary, pittance though it was.

I repeat, the modern day intolerance of a job that is less than
'perfect' only makes people unhappier than they need to be. *In other
words, their pain is self inflicted.

But real. We respond in response to our environment (alongside our
genetics). Our present environment (and our principles) promotes your
'intolerance of a job' mindset; some would say this 'a good thing'

That is only 'a good thing' if you can actually do something to change
your situation for the better. If this is impracticable, the least
worst approach is almost certainly finding a coping mechanism.

What has changed between the generations is that young people are now
quite unprepared for any adversity, and even find boredom
unacceptable. When I were a lad, I would gladly have swapped my
ordeal for mere boredom!

Old October 3rd 10, 06:39 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

"Bruce" wrote in message
Nigel Oldfield wrote:
No-one was in the least bit offended. Far from it!

Did I say dangerous to blacks?

I wasn't arguing with you!

Perhaps I should have started and ended my message with the words
"PLEASE NOTE, I AM AGREEING WITH YOU".

NP - just clarifying.

WM

Old October 3rd 10, 06:45 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

You see, *you* found a coping mechanism - excellent.

BTW, were you in tears, knocking your head against the wall
(literally), nearly every morning, IBS filling your loo a number of
times a day? that is hating your job.

If I hadn't found a way to cope, I feel sure I would have been. Yes,
I suffered from IBS and still do. Perhaps you have pointed out why!

Been there mate.

By the way, added to your list was that the money they paid me wasn't
enough to live on at more than a subsistence level.

But 10 years before, people in my position actually paid their
"employers" for the privilege of doing what I did. At least I got a
salary, pittance though it was.

Some of us think that is unacceptable (for a prolonged period).

I repeat, the modern day intolerance of a job that is less than
'perfect' only makes people unhappier than they need to be. In other
words, their pain is self inflicted.

But real. We respond in response to our environment (alongside our
genetics). Our present environment (and our principles) promotes your
'intolerance of a job' mindset; some would say this 'a good thing'

That is only 'a good thing' if you can actually do something to change
your situation for the better. If this is impracticable, the least
worst approach is almost certainly finding a coping mechanism.

There's the rub. Most self-medicate.

What has changed between the generations is that young people are now
quite unprepared for any adversity, and even find boredom
unacceptable. When I were a lad, I would gladly have swapped my
ordeal for mere boredom!

Take care on who you hold responsible for it

WM