Old October 3rd 10, 06:50 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Default Bus Drivers Indulging In Road Rage

"Nigel Oldfield" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
Nigel Oldfield wrote:
No-one was in the least bit offended. Far from it!

Did I say dangerous to blacks?

I wasn't arguing with you!

Perhaps I should have started and ended my message with the words
"PLEASE NOTE, I AM AGREEING WITH YOU".

NP - just clarifying.

;-)

Old October 3rd 10, 06:51 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Turk182 wrote:

On about one third of the London buses I travel on, I sense the driver
shows very poor appreciation of either passenger comfort or of the
passenger's sense of safety. There is real aggression shown to other
motorists. 'My big vehicle can intimidate you in that small car'.

Well, there's been an element of that for a long time. Bus drivers will
pull out without bothering to check mirrors in most instances and will
use the size of their vehicle to intimidate others.

Stagecoach drivers seem to be hitting some new low. I've noticed over
the last six months that they regularly break speed limits by a
considerable margin. It's not at all rare to find double decker buses
exceeding 50mph in 30 limits. The service through the village where I
live is frequently seen driving at a steady 50 through a succession of
30 and 40 mph limits. It's also not unusual to see the same bus being
driven at stupidly high speeds on narrow country lanes the drivers never
slow to pass other vehicles and seem to have an attitude of "get out of
my way!"
Old October 3rd 10, 06:53 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

"Nigel Oldfield" wrote:
You see, *you* found a coping mechanism - excellent.

BTW, were you in tears, knocking your head against the wall
(literally), nearly every morning, IBS filling your loo a number of
times a day? that is hating your job.

If I hadn't found a way to cope, I feel sure I would have been. Yes,
I suffered from IBS and still do. Perhaps you have pointed out why!

Been there mate.

By the way, added to your list was that the money they paid me wasn't
enough to live on at more than a subsistence level.

But 10 years before, people in my position actually paid their
"employers" for the privilege of doing what I did. At least I got a
salary, pittance though it was.

Some of us think that is unacceptable (for a prolonged period).

I repeat, the modern day intolerance of a job that is less than
'perfect' only makes people unhappier than they need to be. In other
words, their pain is self inflicted.

But real. We respond in response to our environment (alongside our
genetics). Our present environment (and our principles) promotes your
'intolerance of a job' mindset; some would say this 'a good thing'

That is only 'a good thing' if you can actually do something to change
your situation for the better. If this is impracticable, the least
worst approach is almost certainly finding a coping mechanism.

There's the rub. Most self-medicate.

True. That wasn't so easily available when I was younger. But it
does go some way towards explaining why our rates of drug and alcohol
use (and so many other consequences of dissatisfaction with life) are
the worst in the western world.

Old October 3rd 10, 07:19 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

True. That wasn't so easily available when I was younger. But it
does go some way towards explaining why our rates of drug and alcohol
use (and so many other consequences of dissatisfaction with life) are
the worst in the western world.

That, my friend, is self-medication.

WM

Old October 3rd 10, 08:08 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

On 03/10/2010 19:53, Bruce wrote:
"Nigel wrote:

That is only 'a good thing' if you can actually do something to change
your situation for the better. If this is impracticable, the least
worst approach is almost certainly finding a coping mechanism.

There's the rub. Most self-medicate.

True. That wasn't so easily available when I was younger. But it
does go some way towards explaining why our rates of drug and alcohol
use (and so many other consequences of dissatisfaction with life) are
the worst in the western world.

Because of course in ye good olde days it was _completely unheard of_
for the working classes to drown their sorrows in drink. When Bruce was
a lad no-one ever produced prints to highlight the evils of, say,
excessive consumption of gin...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old October 3rd 10, 08:49 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:03:40 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

The Peeler wrote:
On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 10:16:38 +0100, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:
It was incredibly offensive (to blacks, I thought) and some episodes
scarcely had a laugh, others were very good.

Perhaps the BBC thought she could get away with being offensive
because she was black herself.

Does anyone find it offensive when white female comedians lampoon
white people?

Of course not. White people are not a diversity-enhancing protected
species.
Old October 4th 10, 11:11 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anyone find it offensive when white female comedians lampoon
white people?

Of course not. White people are not a diversity-enhancing protected
species.

I must remember to put that in my Archive of Useful Definitions. ;-)

Old October 4th 10, 08:32 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Turk182 set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
continuum:

Here is the best example I can give you at the moment. The bus
driver, a female in this instance, was making her way along a bus lane
with stationary traffic to her right. I could see ahead that there
was a car partially blocking the lane. Instead of slowing down
appropriately, the driver went right up to the car quite quickly,
hooted several long hoots of the hooter, and then stamped her foot on
the brake, and then on and off repeatedly, so that we were all flung
back and forth violently. The car started to move partially out the
way, the bus moved forwards again .... and yes, then she stamped her
foot down on the brake heavily yet again.

Bring back the Routemasters and RT's in London, let's have the AEC Regents
and Guy Arab V's back on the road in Cardiff, etc. Those good old fashioned
buses were simply not *capable* of the heavy braking described.
--
ξ Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply
Old October 4th 10, 09:58 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 21:32:29 +0100, Prai Jei
wrote:
Bring back the Routemasters and RTs in London, let's have the AEC
Regents and Guy Arab V's back on the road in Cardiff, etc. Those good
old fashioned buses were simply not *capable* of the heavy braking
described.

I think you'd be amazed how quickly an RT could (can) stop, for example
pitching a small child in the top front row head first off his seat...
into a bag full of soft things, luckily.

Acceleration is another matter. Gathering speed describes it better.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.
Old October 5th 10, 08:45 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport.london

Colin McKenzie set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
continuum:

wrote:
Bring back the Routemasters and RTs in London, let's have the AEC
Regents and Guy Arab V's back on the road in Cardiff, etc. Those good
old fashioned buses were simply not *capable* of the heavy braking
described.

I think you'd be amazed how quickly an RT could (can) stop, for example
pitching a small child in the top front row head first off his seat...
into a bag full of soft things, luckily.

Acceleration is another matter. Gathering speed describes it better.

Colin McKenzie

Sounds like you speak from experience. Were you the small child in question?

Any RT's still on the loose in London? One AEC Regent survives in Cardiff,
in private hands, regularly dusted off for vintage transport rallies.