Old October 6th 10, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Travelcard from Bat & Ball

In article ,
wrote:
The point to check for is how much more than the cost of a day return to
London Terminals is the price of a day travelcard. Certainly from
Cambridge most travelcard purchasers would be better off buying a London
Terminals day return and using Oyster for their tube travel.

Though throw in a network card discount, and you only need to make
three journeys on the tube for the outboundary travelcard to be the
cheapest option.

You can
certainly but London Terminals day returns from Ely at Cambridge. Many do
so to bypass the evening peak restrictions.

I'm sure I've heard this before, but if it was ever true, it doesn't
appear to be now.

Checking NFM07, the restriction codes for Off-Peak Day Returns from
Cambridge and Ely are the same (both J8).

The Off Peak Return (not Day Return) from Ely does lack evening
restrictions, but at 31.90 it's only 60p cheaper than a Anytime Day
Return from Cambridge.

-roy

Old October 6th 10, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Oct 6, 4:58*pm, (Roy Badami) wrote:

wrote:
[...]
You can
certainly but London Terminals day returns from Ely at Cambridge. Many
do so to bypass the evening peak restrictions.

I'm sure I've heard this before, but if it was ever true, it doesn't
appear to be now.

Checking NFM07, the restriction codes for Off-Peak Day Returns from
Cambridge and Ely are the same (both J8).

The Off Peak Return (not Day Return) from Ely does lack evening
restrictions, but at 31.90 it's only 60p cheaper than a Anytime Day
Return from Cambridge.

That doesn't appear to mesh with the info on the FCC website he
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...iCmsPageId=134

Ely is in 'zone E' and is therefore no evening restrictions apply, or
so it says.
Old October 6th 10, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
Mizter T wrote:

On Oct 6, 4:58*pm, (Roy Badami) wrote:

wrote:
[...]
You can
certainly but London Terminals day returns from Ely at Cambridge. Many
do so to bypass the evening peak restrictions.

I'm sure I've heard this before, but if it was ever true, it doesn't
appear to be now.

Checking NFM07, the restriction codes for Off-Peak Day Returns from
Cambridge and Ely are the same (both J8).

That doesn't appear to mesh with the info on the FCC website he
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...iCmsPageId=134

Ely is in 'zone E' and is therefore no evening restrictions apply, or
so it says.

Yes, you're right -- sorry to be speading misinformation.

I only skimmed the text for J8 and missed the text that explicitly
exempts journeys from Kings Cross to certain destinations (including
Ely) from the evening restructions.

In my defense, that text is relatively new (it appears it came in in
NFM 06) which is probably why I hadn't noticed it. Well, that's my
excuse and I'm sticking to it :-)

-roy

Old October 6th 10, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roy
Badami) wrote:

In article
,
Mizter T wrote:

On Oct 6, 4:58*pm, (Roy Badami) wrote:

wrote:
[...]
[...]

I know some fellow off-peak commuters who use the Ely trick regularly. As
I also take a full-size bike there is never any point is using the dodge
myself. Bike restrictions are more onerous.

--
Colin Rosenstiel