Old December 16th 03, 09:17 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Road Classification

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:22:45 +0000 (UTC), "Ron"
wrote:
Is anyone aware of a complete list of all and B roads starts and ends?

Follow the links from the UK Roads portal site
(http://www.uk-roads.co.uk/) - efforts are being made to compile such
a list.

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge

Old December 16th 03, 12:25 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"Ron" wrote in message ...
Is anyone aware of a complete list of all and B roads starts and ends?

eg A34 Southampton-Manchester
Etc

Thanks

Don't know if their lists are complete but http://www.cbrd.co.uk/ is
well worth a look. It even has information on 'C' Roads!
Old December 16th 03, 04:10 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
s.com...
"Richard J." wrote in message

And the other end of the A34 is Salford, not Manchester, according to

the
Ordnance Survey. (There's a big chunk missing in the middle too, where

it
has been replaced by M40/M42.)

And the A34 has even been redesignated north of Oxford: at one time it
deviated off the present route at Peartree roundabout and went up through
Woodstock to Straford-upon-Avon and beyond, whereas that road has now been
renumbered the A44 and the present A34 was once the A421.

I've often wondered why the MoT/DoT/DEFRA uses a system designed to confuse,
and why they don't adopt the US method of showing roads which share routes
on the signposts. Hence you could follow A34 all the way, rather than have
to know that you need to use the A43/M40/M42/M6 to pick it up again.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old December 16th 03, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Beale" wrote in message
o.uk...

the M69 between Coventry and Leicester -
why didn't they call that the A46(M)?)

Or even the M46!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 17th 03, 03:14 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:10:23 +0000 (UTC), "Terry Harper"
wrote:

I've often wondered why the MoT/DoT/DEFRA uses a system designed to confuse,
and why they don't adopt the US method of showing roads which share routes
on the signposts. Hence you could follow A34 all the way, rather than have
to know that you need to use the A43/M40/M42/M6 to pick it up again.

Or how about the European Route Numbering System? [1]

For example, the good old E15 which, in the UK, runs from Dover to Wick,
via the A20, M20, M25, A282 (Dartford Crossing), M25, A1(M), A1, [Repeat
A1(M) and A1 as necessary], A720, A8, A902, A90, M90, A9 and A99. A
distance of 738 miles!

Or the rather odd E32, which runs the 16 miles of A120 from Harwich to
Colchester.

HTH,

Barry

[1] Full List: http://www.elbruz.org/eroads/AGR_2.htm

--
Barry Salter, barry at southie dot me dot uk
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.
Old December 17th 03, 12:46 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Barry Salter wrote:

Or the rather odd E32, which runs the 16 miles of A120 from Harwich to
Colchester.

I didn't know that. But once upon a time, the E8 used to run from Harwick
to London via Colchester, and there were signposts erected to show it all
the way. Actually I think the E8 went from Moscow to Hook of Holland, and
maybe westward beyond London, but I only know about the Harwich to London
section. The signs were green with white characters, in many cases just
added to the normal trunk road signs. They were erected shortly after WW
II. Not many years later, I think in the nineteen fifties, some idiot
decided that the UK should not show European road numbers and they were
overpainted with green paint. But many remained until quite recently,
barely legible.

--
Clive Page