Old November 2nd 10, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Commuters

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
On 01/11/2010 22:54, Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , P. Patel
writes
Have you noticed the XTP screens around the Underground?

Do you pay attention to the XTP screens whilst standing on the tube
platforms?

When talking to the general public (in the broadest sense of the word)
it's a good idea either not to use jargon or else to explain what it
means.

It might seem obvious to you if you use the term all the time. I suspect
that few people do know "XTP". Apologies if thousands of you reading
this all knew! ;-)

Australian Intercity 125s?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Have they begun to suffer from dyslexia down under?

Old November 2nd 10, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I was hoping if
you would be able to answer a few questions regarding this, as part
of my research about London commuters.

May I suggest you might just possibly have received more responses if
you had provided (i) a valid ac.uk email address for you and (ii) the
name and email address of someone at your university who can vouch for
you? Many users are perhaps loathe to reveal personal information to
unknown questioners.

Even better perhaps if you had provided a link to your website where you
could provide that information and ask the questions in the form of a
webform? (That way you also get to parade your design skills.)

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old November 3rd 10, 12:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 2, 11:49*am, wrote:

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:36:05 +0000
congokid wrote:
In all I don't think it's a positive development, at least for
advertisers, as they're probably paying huge premiums to make and
display electronic adverts that end up being largely ignored.

LU need to get their priorities right. They must've spent tens of thousands
installing these things on the escalators at Tottenham court road station
a few years back. Meanwhile the booking hall still resembles a dingy basement
and will probably remain so until crossrail is finished now.

I'd imagine the bulk of the expenditure (w.r.t. both the LCD displays
and also XTP) would have been made by CBS Outdoor, and even if there
has been some outlay from LUL then the point is that the returns from
advertising are expected to be that much higher because advertisers
will pay a premium.

e.g. see this 2007 press release...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/static/corpora...hive/6150.html

....in which Richard Parry, LU's Director of Service Development,
(apparently) said, amongst other things:
"The new advertising media is expected to increase advertising
revenues for London Underground which will be reinvested in the
improvement of the Underground network."

Also there's this 2008 press release...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/static/corpora...hive/8730.html

I know everyone here is saying they just ignore it all, but
advertisers will have some rationale behind their willingness to pay
the extra in order to access these digital displays. Personally,
whilst I'm not wildly keen on the idea of moving and flashing images
predominating everywhere, I'm not sure I've really got a problem with
all this - one wouldn't normally be waiting on a central London tube
station's platform for very long, nor does it take all that long to
ascend the escalators (and if it encourages people to walk up said
escalators rather then stare at the advertising then all the better!).
Advertising screens on trains - now that I would have a problem with
(and I didn't much like the advertising screens that found their way
onto Routemasters towards the end of their life).
Old November 3rd 10, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:59:54 on Tue, 2 Nov
2010, tim.... remarked:

Pubs can stick a LCD screen on the wall. It's hardly likely that the
underground is going to fit an LCD to the far side of the platform tunnel.

No, but there are some new technologies available now which can be used
to make flexible screens, and they could one day be used in locations
such as this.
Old November 3rd 10, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 22:59:54 on Tue, 2 Nov
2010, tim.... remarked:

Pubs can stick a LCD screen on the wall. It's hardly likely that the
underground is going to fit an LCD to the far side of the platform tunnel.

No, but there are some new technologies available now which can be used to
make flexible screens, and they could one day be used in locations such as
this.

They don't want a solution "one day", that want it now (or rather they
wanted it "now", a year ago)

tim

Old November 3rd 10, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:45:09 on Wed, 3 Nov
2010, tim.... remarked:

It's hardly likely that the
underground is going to fit an LCD to the far side of the platform tunnel.

No, but there are some new technologies available now which can be used to
make flexible screens, and they could one day be used in locations such as
this.

They don't want a solution "one day", that want it now (or rather they
wanted it "now", a year ago)

But that doesn't affect the likelihood of screens being fixed on the far
side, just the timescale.
Old November 3rd 10, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Nov, 00:32, MIG wrote:

It was hardly likely that they'd stick huge, energy-guzzling,
information blocking projectors on the ceiling, but they did.

CCTV cameras and the likes seem to be good enough at blocking the view
of the PIS. It gives the impression that nobody even thinks when they
install stuff like that about where it should go.

Those projector advertising things are used on the Hamburg U-Bahn in a
few places, by the way. Have been there since 1999 or earlier.

Neil
Old November 3rd 10, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:45:09 on Wed, 3 Nov
2010, tim.... remarked:

It's hardly likely that the
underground is going to fit an LCD to the far side of the platform
tunnel.

No, but there are some new technologies available now which can be used
make flexible screens, and they could one day be used in locations such
as
this.

They don't want a solution "one day", that want it now (or rather they
wanted it "now", a year ago)

But that doesn't affect the likelihood of screens being fixed on the far
side, just the timescale.

But we aren't discussing that.

The discussion is "why did the underground chose a (claimed) ancient
technology for this service?". Answer, because it is the only one that
works TODAY.

tim

Old November 3rd 10, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:35:11 on Wed, 3 Nov
2010, tim.... remarked:
It's hardly likely that the
underground is going to fit an LCD to the far side of the platform
tunnel.

No, but there are some new technologies available now which can be used
make flexible screens, and they could one day be used in locations such
as
this.

They don't want a solution "one day", that want it now (or rather they
wanted it "now", a year ago)

But that doesn't affect the likelihood of screens being fixed on the far
side, just the timescale.

But we aren't discussing that.

We were; I was answering you comment that "no-one is going to fit an LCD
to the far side of the platform".
Old November 4th 10, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

But was talking about NOW (or rather a year ago), not in the future.

tim