Old November 19th 10, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Thameslink On The Underground

I have recently switched from a St Albans - Zone 1-6 Travelcard Season
to using a St Albans to London Thameslink Monthly ticket. As I
Understand it this covers me for First Capital Connect services
between St Albans and St Pancras,Farringdon,City
Thameslink,Blackfriars and Elephant and Castle and London Bridge.

Stupidly a couple of weeks ago I realised mid journey I had used my St
Albans to London Thameslink Monthly ticket to open the gates to the
Underground at St Pancras, instead of my Oyster Card. This left me
with a £6 fare. I was surprised that the St Albans to London
Thameslink Monthly ticket had opened the gates.

Not having learnt my lesson I did a similar thing at Moorgate
yesterday - my St Albans to London Thameslink Monthly ticket opened
the Underground barrier. Realising my mistake I got off at Farringdon
where I knew my ticket was valid then started another Underground
Journey to Picadilly Circus using the Oyster Card.

Im now wondering if my St Albans to London Thameslink Monthly ticket
is actually valid on some routes on the Underground, and if so what
they are. I tried asking at my local ticket office, but they didnt
seem to fully understand the question.

Anyone have any thoughts

Rob

Old November 19th 10, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Rob wrote:
Im now wondering if my St Albans to London Thameslink Monthly ticket
is actually valid on some routes on the Underground, and if so what
they are. I tried asking at my local ticket office, but they didnt
seem to fully understand the question.

Yes, it will be valid on some routes as a result of interavailability
of NR and LUL tickets on certain routes.

NFM99 says the following, but note that this is out of date. As
Thameslink no longer serves Moorgate I suspect that the availability
to Moorgate will have been removed. Hopefully someone with access to
The Manual will be along shortly to report the current
interavailability, but for the moment, this is what I have:

National Rail tickets which include validity: between West Hamspstead
Thameslink and Moorgate/Elephant & Castle/London Bridge

are also valid by LU/DLR services: between West Hampstead and
Moorgate/London Bridge/Elephant & Castle by Jubilee, District and
Circle Lines (via Westminster) to Blackfriars, BUT NOT tickets 'FIRST
CAPITAL CONNECT ONLY', 'LDN NOT UNDERGROUND' or 'NOT UNDERGROUND'

-roy
Old November 19th 10, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Oh, but also, I think there were some transitional arrangements
following the closure of the Moorgate branch of Thameslink to allow
Thameslink ticket holders to continue to travel to Moorgate via tube
for a period of time -- but these transitional arrangements come to an
end some time next year (March, i think?)

-roy
Old November 19th 10, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Roy Badami wrote:
In article ,
Rob wrote:
Im now wondering if my St Albans to London Thameslink Monthly ticket
is actually valid on some routes on the Underground, and if so what
they are. I tried asking at my local ticket office, but they didnt
seem to fully understand the question.

Yes, it will be valid on some routes as a result of interavailability
of NR and LUL tickets on certain routes.

Oh, sorry, NR tickets to London Thameslink were never valid on the
Moorgate branch anyway, so I don't understand why your ticket would
open the barriers at St Pancras or Moorgate.

[Sorry for the multiple followups. I'll shut up now and wait for
someone who knows what they're talking about to come along :-) ]

-roy
Old November 19th 10, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Roy Badami wrote:
In article ,
Rob wrote:
Im now wondering if my St Albans to London Thameslink Monthly ticket
is actually valid on some routes on the Underground, and if so what
they are. I tried asking at my local ticket office, but they didnt
seem to fully understand the question.

Yes, it will be valid on some routes as a result of interavailability
of NR and LUL tickets on certain routes.

NFM99 says the following [...]

Rereading that page, I now see that it applies only to singles and
returns. If the interavailability doesn't apply to season tickets
then I have no idea why your ticket is opening the gates.

-roy

Old November 19th 10, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roy Badami
writes
Oh, sorry, NR tickets to London Thameslink were never valid on the
Moorgate branch anyway, so I don't understand why your ticket would
open the barriers at St Pancras or Moorgate.

Are you sure about that? I have a vague memory that they were valid to
Barbican and Moorgate until that branch was closed, but I could be
wrong.

I suspect the reason why the tickets open underground barriers at places
like St.Pancras and London Bridge is that when the through London
service is interrupted (nearly every evening and all weekend for the
last couple of years) these tickets are explicitly valid via underground
service such as the Northern Line. I have always found them to work the
relevant underground barriers at such times, and suspect that the
barrier software isn't clever enough to know the details of the times
when the Thameslink blockade is in place, so they may well be valid at
all times of day.

--
Clive Page
Old November 19th 10, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 19, 3:45*pm, Clive Page wrote:

Are you sure about that? *I have a vague memory that they were valid to
Barbican and Moorgate until that branch was closed, but I could be
wrong.

I suspect the reason why the tickets open underground barriers at places
like St.Pancras and London Bridge is that when the through London
service is interrupted (nearly every evening and all weekend for the
last couple of years) these tickets are explicitly valid via underground
service such as the Northern Line. *I have always found them to work the
relevant underground barriers at such times, and suspect that the
barrier software isn't clever enough to know the details of the times
when the Thameslink blockade is in place, so they may well be valid at
all times of day.

--
Clive Page

So maybe the Moorgate opening is related to validity to Moorgate until
2011 and the Kings Cross St Pancras opening related to Thameslink
blockade. I know it definitly doesnt open barriers at Picadilly
Circus. Am curious if it works at West Hampstead now.

Rob
Old November 19th 10, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
In article ,
Roy Badami wrote:
In article
,
Rob wrote:
Im now wondering if my St Albans to London Thameslink Monthly ticket
is actually valid on some routes on the Underground, and if so what
they are. I tried asking at my local ticket office, but they didnt
seem to fully understand the question.

Yes, it will be valid on some routes as a result of interavailability
of NR and LUL tickets on certain routes.

NFM99 says the following [...]

Rereading that page, I now see that it applies only to singles and
returns. If the interavailability doesn't apply to season tickets
then I have no idea why your ticket is opening the gates.

The current version (NFM07) says

Subject to tickets being valid between the appropriate stations or for
the zones shown, National Rail singles, returns and Season Tickets are
valid on LU /DLR services as shown below:

between West Hampstead / Kentish Town and Kings Cross-St Pancras Und /
Farringdon / Blackfriars / London Bridge / Elephant & Castle via any
reasonable route but NOT intermediately, and also NOT where tickets are
routed ‘FIRST CAPITAL CONNECT ONLY’, ‘LDN NOT UNDERGROUND’ or ‘NOT
UNDERGROUND’

between West Hampstead / Kentish Town and Barbican / Moorgate, for
tickets with an origin / destination of Barbican Und or Moorgate Und
ONLY, via any reasonable route and intermediately only at Farringdon.

Validity to Moorgate is due to finish on 22/03/2011
http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/cms/pages/view/39

Peter Smyth

Old November 19th 10, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Peter Smyth wrote:
Subject to tickets being valid between the appropriate stations or for
the zones shown, National Rail singles, returns and Season Tickets are
valid on LU /DLR services as shown below:

Interesting, thanks! So do all listed interavailabilities apply to
season tickets in NFM07? (i.e. Thameslink isn't a special case)

-roy
Old November 23rd 10, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 19, 7:11*pm, (Roy Badami) wrote:
In article ,

Peter Smyth wrote:
Subject to tickets being valid between the appropriate stations or for
the zones shown, National Rail singles, returns and Season Tickets are
valid on LU /DLR services as shown below:

Interesting, thanks! *So do all listed interavailabilities apply to
season tickets in NFM07? (i.e. Thameslink isn't a special case)

* *-roy

Further to this I tried using my St Albans to London Thameslink
Monthly ticket at Barbican today - opened the tube gates and was able
to get to Faringdon. Probably related to Moorgate branch closure but m
y ticket does not have an origin/destination of Barbican Und or
Moorgate Und

Rob