Old November 20th 10, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Massive panoramic photo of London

http://www.360cities.net/london-photo-en.html

Old November 20th 10, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

http://www.360cities.net/london-photo-en.html

Very spectacular!

Taken from Centre Point, at the junction between Oxford Street/New
Oxford Street and Charing Cross Road/Tottenham Court Road.

Old November 21st 10, 12:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote on 20 November 2010
20:30:42 ...
http://www.360cities.net/london-photo-en.html

Thanks, but I can't stand large photos that make you drag it in the
"wrong" direction, i.e. the opposite way to Google Street View or PDF
files viewed with Adobe Reader. Do others find this totally
counter-intuitive?

--
Richard J.

Old November 21st 10, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 21, 4:42*am, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2010\11\21 01:44, Richard J. wrote:

Basil Jet wrote on 20 November 2010
20:30:42 ...
http://www.360cities.net/london-photo-en.html

Thanks, but I can't stand large photos that make you drag it in the
"wrong" direction, i.e. the opposite way to Google Street View or PDF
files viewed with Adobe Reader. Do others find this totally
counter-intuitive?

Yes!

No. Don't understand the question. It does what I would expect in
that if I want to see more to the right I click on the arrow to the
right.

But there is a button saying "Enter fullscreen" which does nothing.

Maybe it depends on browser?

Old November 21st 10, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2010\11\21 01:44, Richard J. wrote:
Basil Jet wrote on 20 November 2010
20:30:42 ...
http://www.360cities.net/london-photo-en.html

Thanks, but I can't stand large photos that make you drag it in the
"wrong" direction, i.e. the opposite way to Google Street View or PDF
files viewed with Adobe Reader. Do others find this totally
counter-intuitive?

Interestingly the arrow keys work the same way as in Google Street View,
and the mouse kind of works the same as the arrow keys, so it's the
mouse operation in Google Street View which is the odd one out, because
it moves the world whereas the others all move you.
Old November 21st 10, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 21, 2:38*pm, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2010\11\21 01:44, Richard J. wrote:

Basil Jet wrote on 20 November 2010
20:30:42 ...
http://www.360cities.net/london-photo-en.html

Thanks, but I can't stand large photos that make you drag it in the
"wrong" direction, i.e. the opposite way to Google Street View or PDF
files viewed with Adobe Reader. Do others find this totally
counter-intuitive?

Interestingly the arrow keys work the same way as in Google Street View,
and the mouse kind of works the same as the arrow keys, so it's the
mouse operation in Google Street View which is the odd one out, because
it moves the world whereas the others all move you.

Yes, the arrows and mouse in this follow were I am looking, rather
than moving what I am looking at. This seems intuitive to me, given
that the world generally stays where it is while I change where I am
looking.

It's also consistent with scrolling down a document etc. If I scroll
down a document I don't expect the page to move down and let me look
at the top.
Old November 21st 10, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote on 21 November 2010 15:26:17 ...
On Nov 21, 2:38 pm, Basil wrote:
On 2010\11\21 01:44, Richard J. wrote:

Basil wrote on 20 November 2010
20:30:42 ...
http://www.360cities.net/london-photo-en.html

Thanks, but I can't stand large photos that make you drag it in the
"wrong" direction, i.e. the opposite way to Google Street View or PDF
files viewed with Adobe Reader. Do others find this totally
counter-intuitive?

Interestingly the arrow keys work the same way as in Google Street View,
and the mouse kind of works the same as the arrow keys, so it's the
mouse operation in Google Street View which is the odd one out, because
it moves the world whereas the others all move you.

Yes, the arrows and mouse in this follow were I am looking, rather
than moving what I am looking at. This seems intuitive to me, given
that the world generally stays where it is while I change where I am
looking.

If you're looking out of a window at the world and you want to see
what's out of view to the right, you physically move left in order to be
able to see further to the right, so I don't think that's a very
persuasive argument. With this photo (or Street View or a large PDF
document), you are fixed in relation to the window, and you want to move
the image so that a different part of it is positioned in the window.
The click-and-drag motion in Street View and Adobe Reader does just
that, but the same action for this photo moves it in the opposite direction.

It's also consistent with scrolling down a document etc. If I scroll
down a document I don't expect the page to move down and let me look
at the top.

Depends how you scroll - scroll bars or mouse wheel or, for a PDF
document, mouse drag. In the case of a mouse wheel, you are notionally
turning a wheel the bottom of which moves the document in the opposite
direction to your finger. That's how wheels work - seems intuitive to
me, but it's a different mechanism to dragging.
--
Richard J.
Old November 21st 10, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 21, 2:38 pm, Basil *wrote:
[...]

No I don't; I turn my head to the right in nearly every situation.
Only having tried that instinctive action will I determine whether I
need to adjust my position to see round an obstacle.

But I would never turn my head to the left to see right.