Old December 30th 10, 11:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Contacting TFL (and use of gold card "registered" oyster cards)

" wrote in news:2c093a3f-38d0-
:

AIUI you cannot put a network railcard on to a PAYG oyster to get a
discount. It's only gold cards that are eligible for the discount.

When did this change? I'm sure Gold Cards weren't included when I last
looked!

(Not completely unreasonable, network railcard discounts have a
minimum fare which would exceed any PAYG oyster fare)

Tim.

True during the week, but it would be useful at weekends.

David

Old December 31st 10, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 Dec 2010 23:52:45 GMT,
David Jackman pleasereplytogroup wrote:
" wrote in news:2c093a3f-38d0-
:

AIUI you cannot put a network railcard on to a PAYG oyster to get a
discount. It's only gold cards that are eligible for the discount.

When did this change? I'm sure Gold Cards weren't included when I last
looked!

I only found out about it a week or two ago. Currently (I think until
3rd Jan) there is a discount on the cap - but as I've never reached the
cap the fact that I didn't know about it hasn't affected me.

From 3rd Jan there is also a 1/3 discount on off-peak fares if your Gold
card is registered on your oyster card. (You select the "railcard"
option on the fare finder)

There is no "off peak single" paper ticket to directly compare with but
the price of off peak returns and anytime returns that can be bought
with a gold card suggest that these fares aren't out of line so purely
on a fare basis there doesn't seem to be a good reason for not allowing
someone travelling with the gold card holder to use the gold card
holders oyster card.

2011 prices Any Any OffPeak Peak OffPeak
Single Return Return Oyster Oyster
No Railcard 8.30 14.00 9.10 6.90 4.10
Gold Card 5.50 9.25 6.00 6.90 2.70

It would be nice not to have to allow time to buy a ticket when we
travel into London at the weekend and just let my partner use my Oyster.

I expect this is a slightly unusual case in that my gold card
covers a journey that can be done entirely by oyster[1] but I cannot
have my gold card on oyster (other than by getting an all zones oyster)
so I can reasonably be making a journey where someone else can take
advantage of my gold card discount without me also needing to use my
oyster card

(Not completely unreasonable, network railcard discounts have a
minimum fare which would exceed any PAYG oyster fare)

True during the week, but it would be useful at weekends.

However, I think people might object if their minimum fare during the
week went up to 13GBP just so they could get 1/3 off at weekends. :-)

Tim.

p.s. Had they not moved the peak start from 07:00 to 06:30 it might
have been cheaper for me to have bought whatever is the cheapest gold
card and then gone back to using PAYG oyster. As it is I haven't moved
my start time but I now often travel on a return train from Euston
before 7pm.

[1] Actually it doesn't but I almost never use the Watford Junction -
How Wood that, IIRC, cost me an extra 8GBP for the year and I'd give
that up to get my season ticket onto Oyster. It used to be no extra
charge at all which is why I originally added it and I do make a few
trips to St Albans each year so a) I only buy a How Wood - St Albans
Abbey ticket and b) I have an interest in keeping that line open.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/

gold cards john14 London Transport 3 October 3rd 12 06:43 PM
Oyster Cards damaged by proximity door entry cards neill London Transport 5 March 24th 12 07:28 PM
Oyster Gold Card discount on routes with TFL fares Beth London Transport 3 January 13th 11 11:14 PM
"OnePulse" cards and Oyster readers [email protected] London Transport 5 June 10th 08 06:13 AM
difference between Gold Record Card and Record Card David Howdon London Transport 4 March 29th 06 11:35 PM