Old October 2nd 12, 11:03 AM
Junior Member

Question gold cards

hi there, i am new to london banter and dont know if anyone has asked this before.

i have just moved to kent from west london and have just bought a network gold card which gets me from staplehurst into london and includes zones 1 - 6 travel. this presumably means i can make unlimited journeys between staplehurst and london for the next year and have unlimited use of the underground etc in zones 1 - 6 for the next year.

is there a way of getting this information onto an existing PAYG oyster card so i can just touch in and out at mainline and underground stations instead of putting my card in the barrier slot. i have read about loading a gold card onto a PAYG oyster card to get discounts but this is different as i have already paid for full zone 1 - 6 travel on my gold card.

i have only had my card two days and this morning it would not work so will probably have to get it replaced. having a oyster card to use would be much better

is this possible

thanks

john

Old October 2nd 12, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default gold cards

"john14" wrote in message

is this possible

No.

An 'outboundary' travelcard (such as you hold) cannot be loaded onto Oyster.

It may become possible at some time in the next couple of years, as the ITSO
(TOC) and Oyster (TfL systems are supposed to be being made compatible, at
least for this purpose initially.

Paul S

Old October 3rd 12, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:03:36 AM UTC-4, john14 wrote:
i have just moved to kent from west london and have just bought a
network gold card which gets me from staplehurst into london and
includes zones 1 - 6 travel. this presumably means i can make unlimited
journeys between staplehurst and london for the next year and have
unlimited use of the underground etc in zones 1 - 6 for the next year.

Yes and you can also use it from Staplehurst to intermediate stops before London (e.g. to Sevenoaks or Tonbridge).

is there a way of getting this information onto an existing PAYG oyster
card so i can just touch in and out at mainline and underground stations
instead of putting my card in the barrier slot. i have read about
different as i have already paid for full zone 1 - 6 travel on my gold
card.

Unfortunately not, as others have said.

i have only had my card two days and this morning it would not work so
will probably have to get it replaced. having a oyster card to use
would be much better

So it sounds like Southeastern's ticket stock hasn't improved any since I moved to the American Colonies a couple of years ago. Only two days is impressive - I think the shortest period I experienced before my gold card failed was a couple of weeks, and if the magstripe didn't go, the ink would fade within a few months making it illegible. Southeastern were always fine about issuing replacements but it was a real PITA. Try to avoid carrying your ticket in the same wallet/pocket as your Oyster, company key card, pay-wave credit card, phone and/or keys (yes, they even say keys can wipe them....)
--
Roy