Old January 3rd 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

Default Massive Airport expansion announced

G Crozier wrote...

(Aidan Stanger) wrote:

G Crozier wrote:

wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see the re-introduction of Wisley airfield,
which while very handy for the M3/M25, would also increase the Nimby
factor.

To hell with more airports in the southeast we only have one decent
airport here in the northwest and that's Manchester and the time is
long overdue for us to have another the same size or larger .

Why? Do any other airports in the NW operate anywhere near their
capacity?

We only have one and that has I stated is Manchester in the SE there
are 4 or 5 major airports each within easy reach of people living in
the area I am thirty odd miles away from Manchester people living in
the Cumberland area have around a hundred mile journey to Manchester .
Capacity doesn't matter it is accessability that matters which many
people up here in the northwest don't have.

I certainly agree that there is great scope for expanding use of the
airports in the NW (especially Liverpool, which as such excellent runway
facilities and a near-perfect estuarine location, but wouldn't particularly
residents of Cumberland). AAMOF, developing Liverpool and Leeds/Bradford
could even take some of the (international) pressure off the London
airports - surely not everyone who lands at Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and
Luton is travelling to London and environs?

But you are mistaken if you think that South East residents all have an
airport within 30 miles of their homes. Even if they did (they don't),
travelling 30 miles in the SE can be a real penance, especially if it
involves the M25. Other things being equal, I'd rather drive from Whitehaven
to Ringway than from Southend to Heathrow.

Old January 3rd 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

In article , G Crozier
writes
Capacity doesn't matter it is accessability that matters which many
people up here in the northwest don't have.

Wrong. I live 30 miles from Heathrow. I can get to Swindon (60 miles
away) in less time than it takes to get to Heathrow.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old January 3rd 04, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:33:31 +0000, Andrew P Smith
wrote:
Wrong. I live 30 miles from Heathrow. I can get to Swindon (60 miles
away) in less time than it takes to get to Heathrow.

I never mentioned anything about time you do have a major airport
within 30 miles which most people up here haven't and you do NOT have
to go to HRW by car now do you .
Grant .
Old January 3rd 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

In article , G Crozier
writes
and you do NOT have
to go to HRW by car now do you .

OK, let's see what possible route I have by public transport.

1. Bus into the centre of High Wycombe (every 30 mins at peak periods,
one an hour after 7pm, none after 10pm.

2. Walk from bus station to train station carrying luggage.

3. Train into London.

4. Tube or taxi from Marylebone across London to Paddington for the Hex
or a suitable tube station for the Picc.

Alternative 1.

Bus and walk as before.

3. Train to South Ruislip (or similar) then bus to Hayes then another
bus to the airport.

Alternative 2.

Bus from bus station in Wycombe to Bourne End, Bus from Bourne End to
Slough, then bus to the airport.

Alternative 3 (if it still runs).

Bus from Wycombe bus station to Slough, then bus to the airport.

Other combinations of bus/train available.

What we need is for Heathrow to be connected to the Reading and Waterloo
train lines. Then a number of huge, security patrolled park and rides at
dedicated train stations with fast journeys into the airport running
every 15 mins during the day and every 25 mins at night.

I would use it every time.

Is it going to happen? Unfortunately not.

I wish it would.

Old January 3rd 04, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:58:52 +0000, Andrew P Smith
wrote:

In article , G Crozier
writes
and you do NOT have
to go to HRW by car now do you .

OK, let's see what possible route I have by public transport.

[snip]

alternative 4

http://www.carouselbuses.com/

HTH
--
Paul C

Old January 3rd 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Corfield
writes

http://www.carouselbuses.com/

HTH
--
Paul C

Woa!!!!

When did this start?? July 2003??? Nothing in the local press about it
when they launched. Follows a good route too.

Only a fiver to the airport! A good alternative to the car if you are
travelling during office hours.

No good for evening flights, but a start. And a good one at that.
Old January 3rd 04, 05:29 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 18:06:30 +0000, Andrew P Smith
wrote:

When did this start?? July 2003??? Nothing in the local press about it
when they launched. Follows a good route too.

Yes Andrew has one who spent the early part of life spotting
conducting and later driving buses up here in the northwest
for 25 years I have never seen this operator mentioned anywhere
before you live and learn .
Grant .
Old January 4th 04, 02:21 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:53:40 +0000,
wrote:
I take it you want it somewhere other than in your own back yard. ;-)

That's where you are wrong in my case I would love one in my own back
yard has you put it in fact to live a stones throw from HRW would
please me no end .
Let's just wait for a plane or two to demolish Slough

One did fall out of the sky a few years ago now over Slough if I am
not mistaken the captain didn't close the flaps or something after
taking off I think this is the one.
27/10/1965 London, UK VC-9 BEA Crew tiredness .
Lancs and Cheshire have many, many
farmers who'd like nothing more than to sell a few hundred acres and
retire without worries.

You think so did you not here about the big stink they all made when
the second runway was proposed at Manchester ? .
Personally, I'd bung in a fiver for demolition of 'The Swamp'
(Trafford Park, Salford and *outside* Manchester) to make way for a
new airport!

What's the point of building in the Manchester area the people in
North Lancashire and Cumbria would be no better provisioned regarding
access .
A much better place WOULD be right in my " back yard" the BAC
establisment at Salmlesbury nr Preston about 5 miles away from me
and if I am not mistaken I think a 747 has been down on there once
soon after they went into service .
Grant .