Old January 2nd 11, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria line map

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 02:35:15 -0800, MIG wrote:

On Jan 2, 6:13Â*am, wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
On Jan 2, 12:52 am, wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
On the Victoria and Bakerloo they have used maps which are
different on each side, corresponding to the direction of travel.

Not recently on The Victoria. Did they ever on the Bakerloo?

Yes, there was a time when they both did. Â*I am not often paying
attention though, because I tend to know where the lines go.

If you say so but, although I've not used the Bakerloo often I don't
remember ever seeing different maps since the line split in the 1970s.

But you'll probably remember the awful District Line attempt, and it
would probably have been around the same time.

Yeah, you're right about it being awful. They could just about get away
with North/South lines being mirrored left-to-right, but it just plain
didn't work on the District going East/West.

And, of course, the loops on the Central, Piccadilly and Northern meant
there were never any mirrored maps on those lines.

(Were there ever any on the Jubilee?)

Old January 2nd 11, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I wasn't suggesting otherwise but trying to identify the precise condition
you are trying to describe. I think what you're saying is that whichever
side of the train you sit on the end of the map showing Walthamstow is at
the end of the train pointing towards Brixton. To achieve that they must
have printed two separate sets of maps but they've printed them both the
"wrong way round".

I thought what he is saying is that the diagrams are the same on both sides
of the train so that on one side the diagram does indeed align with the
direction of the train. His point is that if you are only going to print
one version of the diagram it would be more intuitive to have Brixton on the
left and Walthamstow on the right to make it correspond better with a
typical map.

I think the same argument can be made for most of the lines, though there
would have to be a bunfight over the Northern line :-)

Old January 2nd 11, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

solar penguin wrote:

And, of course, the loops on the Central, Piccadilly and Northern meant
there were never any mirrored maps on those lines.

(Were there ever any on the Jubilee?)

I recall a few in the mid 1990s. The Waterloo & City also had them in its
early LT years.

Old January 2nd 11, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 10:37:30 +0000 (UTC), Martin Petrov
wrote:
Meh, maybe - however "seats" on the Victoria Line are things that

happen
to other people so the fact that I can stand completely upright in

the
doorways (I'm 6 foot 3) is a big win.

I'm with you on that. And big windows, while I like these on
mainline trains, aren't that high up the list on a line that is
completely underground.

All in all, they are a worthy replacement, IMO.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Old January 2nd 11, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
Meh, maybe - however "seats" on the Victoria Line are things that

happen
to other people so the fact that I can stand completely upright in

the
doorways (I'm 6 foot 3) is a big win.

I'm with you on that. *And big windows, while I like these on
mainline trains, aren't that high up the list on a line that is
completely underground.

All in all, they are a worthy replacement, IMO.

Neil

speechless

/speechless
Old January 2nd 11, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Graham Harrison
wrote:
If I sit on a longitudinal seat and look at the strip map opposite me
and Walthamstow is on the left it will be at what I will call the A end
of the train.

If I then switch seats to the opposite side of the carriage and
Walthamstow is on the left it will be at the B end of the train.

Just a note: the two ends of a train are the A and D end (if you
consider the four axles of a car as being A to D, you'll see why). On
the Victoria Line, the A end faces Walthamstow and the D end Brixton.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old January 3rd 11, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011, MIG wrote:

On Jan 1, 7:58*pm, Martin Petrov
wrote:
On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 16:58:53 +0000, boltar2003 wrote:
The victoria line in general heads southwest - northeast. Particularly
the line before walthamstow is definately heading east. So what
dribbling ****wit decided that the line map in the 2009 stock would be
the other way around with walthamstow on the left, brixton on the right?

Not really that big a deal though, is it?

It's certainly a lot easier to fix than those tiny windows, cramped
interior due to thick walls and rock hard seats angled so that you can't
sit in them.

Oh, you can sit in them. If you can't, try harder, or consult someone who
has more experience at sitting down. No, they aren't comfortable (they
*really* aren't comfortable), but how long are you planning on spending on
a Victoria line train in one go anyway?

If you want to moan about the 2009 stock, the reliability so far would be
my suggestion of where to start!

tom

--
Formal logical proofs, and therefore programs - formal logical proofs
that particular computations are possible, expressed in a formal system
Old January 3rd 11, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jan 3, 3:13*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jan 2011, MIG wrote:
On Jan 1, 7:58�pm, Martin Petrov
wrote:
[...]

Why would I moan that they aren't reliable enough to replace the
existing trains any sooner?
Old January 3rd 11, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, MIG wrote:

On Jan 3, 3:13*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jan 2011, MIG wrote:
On Jan 1, 7:58�pm, Martin Petrov
wrote:
[...]

Point taken!

tom

--
In Milan, [traffic lights] are instructions, in Rome suggestions, and
in Naples Christmas decorations. -- James Dowden