Old January 1st 11, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria line map

The victoria line in general heads southwest - northeast. Particularly the
line before walthamstow is definately heading east. So what dribbling ****wit
decided that the line map in the 2009 stock would be the other way around
with walthamstow on the left, brixton on the right?

I swear that one day LU will have to be quarantined because there'll be an
outbreak of common sense which will throw the whole organisation into
complete chaos.

On a side note I rode on a 2009 stock today which was already looking
distinctly grubby on the seats and armrests. If that fabric lasts 5 years
I'll be amazed.

B2003

Old January 1st 11, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 17:47:40 -0000
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
If I sit on a longitudinal seat and look at the strip map opposite me and
Walthamstow is on the left it will be at what I will call the A end of the
train.

If I then switch seats to the opposite side of the carriage and Walthamstow
is on the left it will be at the B end of the train.

That is what would happen if the map was the same on both sides of the car.

If I look on a map , east is on the right, west on the left. I'm afraid
the direction of travel argument is just BS. You might as well say turn
a car map upside down if you're heading south!

B2003

Old January 1st 11, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 16:58:53 +0000, boltar2003 wrote:

The victoria line in general heads southwest - northeast. Particularly
the line before walthamstow is definately heading east. So what
dribbling ****wit decided that the line map in the 2009 stock would be
the other way around with walthamstow on the left, brixton on the right?

Not really that big a deal though, is it?
Old January 1st 11, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 17:47:40 -0000
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
If I sit on a longitudinal seat and look at the strip map opposite me and
Walthamstow is on the left it will be at what I will call the A end of the
train.

If I then switch seats to the opposite side of the carriage and
Walthamstow
is on the left it will be at the B end of the train.

That is what would happen if the map was the same on both sides of the
car.

If I look on a map , east is on the right, west on the left. I'm afraid
the direction of travel argument is just BS. You might as well say turn
a car map upside down if you're heading south!

B2003

I wasn't suggesting otherwise but trying to identify the precise condition
you are trying to describe. I think what you're saying is that whichever
side of the train you sit on the end of the map showing Walthamstow is at
the end of the train pointing towards Brixton. To achieve that they must
have printed two separate sets of maps but they've printed them both the
"wrong way round".

Old January 1st 11, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 1, 5:58*pm, wrote:
If I look on a map , east is on the right, west on the left. I'm afraid
the direction of travel argument is just BS. You might as well say turn
a car map upside down if you're heading south!

.... which can often be a convenient way of navigating.

As it happens, though, the diagrams you are looking at aren't maps,
they are diagrams. If they were maps they'd need more vertical
space. The diagrams are usually arranged so that, where possible,
they "point" in the direction the train is travelling. Like it or
not, a lot of people find that very helpful.

PhilD

Old January 1st 11, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jan 1, 10:34*pm, PhilD wrote:
On Jan 1, 5:58*pm, wrote:

If I look on a map , east is on the right, west on the left. I'm afraid
the direction of travel argument is just BS. You might as well say turn
a car map upside down if you're heading south!

... which can often be a convenient way of navigating.

As it happens, though, the diagrams you are looking at aren't maps,
they are diagrams. *If they were maps they'd need more vertical
space. *The diagrams are usually arranged so that, where possible,
they "point" in the direction the train is travelling. *Like it or
not, a lot of people find that very helpful.

Not usually at all, because most lines have branches.

On the Victoria and Bakerloo they have used maps which are different
on each side, corresponding to the direction of travel.

For most lines, they stick to west or north is left. Variation from
that tends to be confusing in my experience, not helpful.

They did attempt the direction-of-travel idea a few years back on the
District, but abandoned it. I don't know what feedback they received
to make them abandon it, but I certainly found it completely wrong to
show that one had to turn right after Earls Court to get to Wimbledon.

I also find it very confusing when I come to those maps in the street
which try to show things the way that you are facing (eg with
southeast at the top or whatever). I have definitely adapted to the
conventions of map-drawing, whether everyone else has or not.

I actually agree with Boltar that unless you are going to put all maps
flat on the ground, they are already so far from reality (being on a
vertical surface) that it's best to stick with conventions that are
well understood, like north at the top.