Old January 1st 11, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
max max is offline

Default New Year's Eve in London

How was it? I saw a fantastic fireworks scenery as i watched on TV the
following days..
they say it was overcrowded.. was it really like that?

Give me your opinion..

Old January 3rd 11, 12:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

max wrote:
How was it? I saw a fantastic fireworks scenery as i watched on TV the
following days..
they say it was overcrowded.. was it really like that?

Give me your opinion..

It's usually a complete shambles. I doubt that this year was different (but
yes, the fireworks are good).

We used to go down for the fireworks every year until three years ago, when
(despite leaving the pub at 23:15) we were unable to get any nearer the
river than the Strand, at the Aldwych end. In previous years we'd always
managed to stand along the Embankment near to Hungerford Bridges.

The year prior to our final visit we left the Embankment as usual,
attempting to avoid Trafalgar Square and the masses by heading via Scotland
Yard and Whitehall up to Hyde Park and Edgware Road. However, on reaching
Whitehall we were herded back up and into Trafalgar Square (no-one being
allowed to head *away* from the busy areas) - the very place that we were
trying to avoid! Luckily we were able to duck around the main flow of people
and escaped down Pall Mall and into Piccadilly. For some reason those in
control seemed to be obsessed with the idea that everyone wanted to go to
Charing Cross and were forcing everyone in that direction. It was utter
mayhem, with very little movement of the crowd due to the volume of people.

After two years of that - mainly caused by the sheer numbers and the
inability of the authorities to disperse them sensibly - we gave up. It's
easier to watch the fireworks from the comfort of an armchair, without the
worry of missing last trains home.

Old January 3rd 11, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jan 3, 1:42*am, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
max wrote:
[...]

Hmm. Police trapping people in ways that are likely to lead to
trouble, instead of letting them disperse, seems to be a bit of a
common theme these days.

Luckily we were able to duck around the main flow of people
and escaped down Pall Mall and into Piccadilly. For some reason those in
control seemed to be obsessed with the idea that everyone wanted to go to
Charing Cross and were forcing everyone in that direction. It was utter
mayhem, with very little movement of the crowd due to the volume of people.

After two years of that - mainly caused by the sheer numbers and the
inability of the authorities to disperse them sensibly - we gave up. It's
easier to watch the fireworks from the comfort of an armchair, without the
worry of missing last trains home.

I shouldn't encourage others to do it, in case it gets too popular,
but till a few years ago at least, Lambeth North remained open, was a
short walk from Westminster Bridge and was not overcrowded. Had a
perfect view from outside the Shell Centre and no trouble at all
getting back to the station and into a train.
Old January 3rd 11, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
news
I have never been tempted to go and watch the London fireworks -
standing getting freezing cold hardly appeals. Most years I am
somewhere much warmer and have only bothered to try to see the local
fireworks once in Hong Kong. It was an utter waste of time as I saw
nothing. I now don't bother at all as you can see it on the news
repeatedly.

I understand that three (possibly four) years ago in London that the
police get very close to a very serious crush condition at one
location and nearly lost control of the crowds at another due to the
way the crowds were being herded. I won't use the word "manage" as it
implies some sense. It seems that the police response is to manage
people even more tightly. I have absolutely no wish at all to be
herded into a pen against my will.

Thank you for reminding me why I don't bother to waste my time !

Yes, as with many live events, the multiple TV cameras have far better
vantage positions than any single spectator, even one who queued for
hours, could get. And which live spectator could judge that this year,
for the first time, the London new year fireworks were even better than
Sydney's?

Old January 3rd 11, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jan 3, 1:29*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 01:42:12 -0000, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

max wrote:
[...]

Then don't take part in rioting. I am sure that the police should
have been praised for the way that they responded to escalating levels
of violence.

(Do you think I've been too subtle?)

Thank you for reminding me why I don't bother to waste my time !
--
Paul C

Old January 3rd 11, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 3, 1:34*pm, "Recliner" wrote:
[...]

Sydney's?- Hide quoted text -

I went along to the display a few years back when they had to "use up"
the fireworks from a cancelled event (Can't rememeber the details) and
as such it was worth going as we arrived at a sensible time, took root
and had a fantastic view without being pushed around and herded. Short
walk back to the open Blackfriars station (theras a novelty) and
really enjoyed it. The wife and kids frequently mention "doing" a New
years eve but I have always managed to be grumpy enough to put them
off. Working nights frequently for varying London TOCs on that night
over the years has allowed me to take a fairly informed view. (missing
persons, injured persons, robbed persons, missed trains etc etc etc).

This year the display was - IMO - incredibly spectacular and SO much
better than the Minnenium shambles. One thing that we all noticed on
the telly though from the aerial views was the amount of people packed
in the surrounding streets, especially aruond Westminster, who
presumably would have heard lots of bangs and seen a few high level
flashes.I just don't see the point in bothering at all.

Richard
Old January 4th 11, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
max max is offline

reaching a conclusion.. we are all different and each one feels that in a
different way ..mainly we got to find fun & serenity eventually.

Old January 5th 11, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Jan, 20:10, "max" wrote:
How was it? I saw a fantastic fireworks scenery as i watched on TV the
following days..
they say it was overcrowded.. was it really like that?

Give me your opinion..

It is beyond me why people stand around for hours in the cold to get a
good view of a fireworks display that lasts a few minutes.

I didn't watch it on TV it really is of no interest to me at all,
complete waste of money.
Old January 5th 11, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
George writes

It is beyond me why people stand around for hours in the cold to get a
good view of a fireworks display that lasts a few minutes.

I didn't watch it on TV it really is of no interest to me at all,
complete waste of money.

It is rather galling to see part of one's council tax payments literally
going up in smoke ...
--
Paul Terry