Old January 14th 11, 10:40 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Railway stations on terrorist alert.

"Recliner" wrote:

wrote in message

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:34:48 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
Exactly! I suppose it's just to prepare themselves for a jobless
future; I can't imagine many employers would rush to offer these
activists jobs, even if they did manage to get a worthwhile degree.

I get the feeling gob****es like Solomon and her flunkies simply
become students so they can muscle their way into the political side
of it and give themselves a platform they otherwise wouldn't have. I
doubt they gives a rats arse about whatever worthless sociopolitical
degree they'll scrape through with.

I wasn't thinking of her, but the actual students she's urging to ruin
their futures. She obviously is a professional politician already,
which is what most student union leaders aspire to. Normally (like Aaron
Parter now, and the likes of Jack Straw in the past) they aim to become
Labour party ministers, but she's almost off the left-hand edge of the
political scale. I hadn't even heard of Crossfire ("a network of
activists who are Marxist, anti-capitalist, anti-war, anti-cuts while
campaigning for equality and workers' rights"), which is apparently an
SWP splinter group.

They say that people become more moderate (or even right wing) as they
get older. Perhaps she just needs to grow up a little. ;-)

Old January 14th 11, 10:54 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Bruce" wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote:
[...]

Reading that article, she seems to be have gone in exactly the opposite
direction to the norm. It also struck me that she gave birth to a son 20
years ago -- I wonder how many other student union officials themselves
have university age children? And is her son one of those sit-inners?

Old January 15th 11, 08:29 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:
They say that people become more moderate (or even right wing) as they
get older. Perhaps she just needs to grow up a little. ;-)

Reading that article, she seems to be have gone in exactly the opposite
direction to the norm. It also struck me that she gave birth to a son 20
years ago -- I wonder how many other student union officials themselves
have university age children? And is her son one of those sit-inners?

Of course I should have written "people tend to become more moderate".
Not everyone will. Some will go the other way, as here. Perhaps the
woman was particularly motivated by her son being a student.

I must admit that, as someone who benefitted from having his
University tuition fees paid and who also received a reasonably
generous maintenance grant*, I find the £9000 a year tuition fees
quite a daunting concept. My son sits his A levels this year.

*on which I was just about able to live, with the aid of income from
part time work during tern time and full time work in all vacations.

Old January 15th 11, 10:24 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

She obviously is a professional politician already, which is what most
student union leaders aspire to. Normally (like Aaron Parter now, and
the likes of Jack Straw in the past) they aim to become Labour party
ministers

Student politicos come in other flavours too - When I was at Uni in the
70s, I encountered one Anna Soubry, who was elected as a Tory member
last year. Assuming she retains the level of commitment she had in her
student days, she, too, will be aiming to get her hands on the reins of
power.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632862.html
(33 061 at Shrewsbury, Aug 1982)
Old January 15th 11, 11:29 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Chris Tolley" (ukonline really) wrote in message
.. .
Recliner wrote:

She obviously is a professional politician already, which is what most
student union leaders aspire to. Normally (like Aaron Parter now, and
the likes of Jack Straw in the past) they aim to become Labour party
ministers

Student politicos come in other flavours too - When I was at Uni in the
70s, I encountered one Anna Soubry, who was elected as a Tory member
last year. Assuming she retains the level of commitment she had in her
student days, she, too, will be aiming to get her hands on the reins of
power.

Eek! I thought I would be safe from hearing that name here.

She's MP for Broxtowe, immediately to the west of Nottingham - Beeston
station is in her constituency. She has been campaigning hard to get the
extension to Nottingham's tram scrapped. One tram line is set to run through
Beeston and will transform the quality of life in her constituency. Her
words on public transport show she hasn't a clue. I'm staggered how many
hits 'Soubry tram' brings up on Google.

The great pity is she defeated Dr Nick Palmer. He was a brilliant
constituency MP, everything an MP should be, but he had a very pro public
transport team behind him and their efforts went far beyond Broxtowe - the
whole of the MML to London for example. So much of that work and dedication
lost and we have Soubry instead.

David

Old January 15th 11, 02:31 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

She obviously is a professional politician already, which is what most
student union leaders aspire to. Normally (like Aaron Parter now, and
the likes of Jack Straw in the past) they aim to become Labour party
ministers

Student politicos come in other flavours too - When I was at Uni in the
70s, I encountered one Anna Soubry, who was elected as a Tory member
last year. Assuming she retains the level of commitment she had in her
student days, she, too, will be aiming to get her hands on the reins of
power.

Eek! I thought I would be safe from hearing that name here.

Sorry.

She's MP for Broxtowe, immediately to the west of Nottingham - Beeston
station is in her constituency. She has been campaigning hard to get the
extension to Nottingham's tram scrapped. One tram line is set to run through
Beeston and will transform the quality of life in her constituency. Her
words on public transport show she hasn't a clue. I'm staggered how many
hits 'Soubry tram' brings up on Google.

The great pity is she defeated Dr Nick Palmer. He was a brilliant
constituency MP, everything an MP should be, but he had a very pro public
transport team behind him and their efforts went far beyond Broxtowe - the
whole of the MML to London for example. So much of that work and dedication
lost and we have Soubry instead.

I had no idea that she was actively against the NET expansion, but
remembering the Ms Soubry I knew three and a bit decades ago, I am not
surprised. She and I never saw eye-to-eye then, and I doubt we would
now.

I have vague memories of the immediate aftermath of the 1979 election:
my deputy in the Welfare Office came in next morning and said, "Thatcher
won, so I guess we'll be invading Poland soon", while Ms Soubry wasn't
saying anything at all, just grinning. She was probably the only person
in the entire SU building who was.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p15036441.html
(47 443 at Wolverhampton, 1977)
Old January 15th 11, 08:07 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:46:03 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
campaigning for equality and workers' rights"), which is apparently an
SWP splinter group.

The more all these radical groups splinter off from each other and infight the
better for everyone.

B2003