Old April 26th 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Activating Oyster Cards at Railway Stations

Can someone tell me whether I can order a travel card for my Oyster Card on
the Internet and have it activated from a train station (i.e. not a London
Underground station).

e.g.. can I buy a zone 1-6 weekly travel card online for my oyster card and
have it active for tomorrow and then walk up to the station and walk through
the gates on the morning?

When I have looked at the website - it asks what station I will be
activating it at - which gives me all the London Underground stations - and
not Surbiton?

Thanks in advance

Mick

Old April 26th 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Can someone tell me whether I can order a travel card for my Oyster Card
on
the Internet and have it activated from a train station (i.e. not a London
Underground station).

There may be the odd exception, but basically no you can't. You have to
nominate a tube station and it will be loaded next time you use the gates or
validators at that station. Fine for renewals of travelcards for those
using the tube but not helpful for getting the first travelcard onto the
card or for those who only want bus passes or Pre-Pay and don't use their
card for tube journeys. Basically means you have to purchase your
travelcard at a ticket office, ticket machine or at a 'Ticket Stop'
newsagent.

Old April 27th 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

As Surbiton is an SWT station, I'm pretty certain that you can't use
any Oyster card on their suburban services as yet, so that's probably
why you aren't given the option to activate your card there. I keep
seeing signs at Waterloo saying that Oysters aren't valid ......

Old April 27th 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On 27 Apr 2005 05:49:50 -0700, "M J Forbes"
wrote:

As Surbiton is an SWT station, I'm pretty certain that you can't use
any Oyster card on their suburban services as yet,

of course you can! I use mine on SWT every day. It was even issued
by SWT with their discount for poor service last year. (and the free
tickets)

Its just prepay ones you can't use on most suburban trains.

I keep seeing signs at Waterloo saying that Oysters aren't valid ....

Then you haven't read the signs correctly... :-)

Old April 28th 05, 05:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"Mick" wrote in message
Can someone tell me whether I can order a travel card for my Oyster Card on
the Internet and have it activated from a train station (i.e. not a London
Underground station).

e.g.. can I buy a zone 1-6 weekly travel card online for my oyster card and
have it active for tomorrow and then walk up to the station and walk through
the gates on the morning?

Assuming your journey is Waterloo Surbiton, you can nominate Waterloo and
use the validators near the W&C line to pick up your ticket.

The same is true if you pass through Wimbledon with the platform validators there.
You would need to pick up your ticket before the previous one expires of course.

Old April 28th 05, 06:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for the replies. I am taking it then as being:

Oystercard weekly/monthly tickets cannot be purchased on line and then
activated at Surbiton station as it is not on the list of (Underground)
stations that Oyster have nominated as activation points. This needs to be
done at London Underground station.

The best solution is to purchase the Oyster card to request that the ticket
be active from "tomorrow" whilst in the city and then when heading into work
the following morning, I will be able to enter Surbiton station using my new
travel pass on my Oyster card.

I shouldn't have used the phrase "travel card" as this has confused me
because I want to use not Oyster, not the older paper travel cards.

Thanks for you help - let me know if I have still got the wrong end of the
stick.

M.

Old May 4th 05, 01:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mick" wrote in message
The best solution is to purchase the Oyster card to request that the
ticket
be active from "tomorrow" whilst in the city and then when heading into
work
the following morning, I will be able to enter Surbiton station using my
new
travel pass on my Oyster card.

When buying a Oyster ticket online, its not available for immediate pickup -
I think the system only updates nightly (i.e. if you buy a ticket online on
Monday, you can't pick it up until Tuesday) - so what you suggest will work
but you need to leave an extra day in - i.e. buy the ticket on Monday to
start on Wednesday and it will be picked up on Tuesday as you go through
your nominated underground station.

Regards
Sunil