Old February 7th 11, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 17:25:29 +0000, Sam Wilson
wrote:
In my brother's village there is a small, free car park. The

Parish
Council have to pay VAT on the notional value of the parking

service
they provide.

Never heard of that; I thought VAT was only charged on actual sales.

Does that happen anywhere else?

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Old February 7th 11, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

.net...
wrote:
In my brother's village there is a small, free car park. The

Parish
Council have to pay VAT on the notional value of the parking

service
they provide.

Never heard of that; I thought VAT was only charged on actual sales.

Does that happen anywhere else?

When my flat management company "hired" a small one man clamping company,
because we weren't VAT registered we had to pay the VAT due on the "fines"
collected (I could never work out why the person being "fined" didn't have
to pay it).

tim

Old February 7th 11, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
In my brother's village there is a small, free car park. The

Parish
Council have to pay VAT on the notional value of the parking

service
they provide.

Never heard of that; I thought VAT was only charged on actual sales.

Does that happen anywhere else?

When my flat management company "hired" a small one man clamping
company, because we weren't VAT registered we had to pay the VAT due
on the "fines" collected (I could never work out why the person being
"fined" didn't have to pay it).

That seems very odd -- if the firm's turnover is not large enough to
have to register for VAT, it should not be charged and does not need to
be paid to HMRC. And if the one man's clamping company was registered
for VAT, he should be responsible for including it in the fines and
paying the money over to HMRC.

Old February 8th 11, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
[...]

ITYF the flat management company was doing the extorting with the man
in the van as their servant applying the clamps..
Old February 8th 11, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
[...]

If the flat management company wasn't VAT registered (because the
turnover's below the threshold), then no need to add VAT to the clamping
fee.

Old February 8th 11, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 19:05:58 -0000, "Recliner"
wrote:

When my flat management company "hired" a small one man clamping
company, because we weren't VAT registered we had to pay the VAT due
on the "fines" collected (I could never work out why the person
being "fined" didn't have to pay it).

If the flat management company wasn't VAT registered (because the
turnover's below the threshold), then no need to add VAT to the clamping
fee.

Unless it was the one man company that was registered for VAT, so the
flat mgt co had to pay it but couldn't offset it against input tax?
(Though, as the OP says, why wouldn't it get passed on to the
clampees?)
Old February 9th 11, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
[...]

People have a choice to obey the sign that says: "Private property, no
unauthorised parking, clamping in operation".

I can assure you that the clamper was "responsible" in the way that he chose
to clamp a car. He wasn't a rogue that clamped delivery vans etc
temporarily stopped on the entrance driveway.

Remember that these spaces that were being abused by outside parkers
actually BELONG to the individual flat owners. Would you think it ok if
someone drove up to your house and decided that it was OK for them to put
their car in your garage without permission?

tim

Old February 9th 11, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
[...]

Actually the flat management company is unregistered because, as a resident
owned company, it is not allowed to register.

tim

Old February 9th 11, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"tim." wrote in message

If the flat management company wasn't VAT registered (because the
turnover's below the threshold), then no need to add VAT to the
clamping fee.

Actually the flat management company is unregistered because, as a
resident owned company, it is not allowed to register.

Why is that? I didn't think HMRC cared who the proprieter is. And, if
not registered, how could the company even pay money to HMRC? I didn't
think there was any mechanism to do so (and I've just completed my
quarterly VAT return, so I do have some personal experience of VAT).

Old February 9th 11, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Recliner" wrote in message
"tim." wrote in message

If the flat management company wasn't VAT registered (because the
turnover's below the threshold), then no need to add VAT to the
clamping fee.

Actually the flat management company is unregistered because, as a
resident owned company, it is not allowed to register.

Why is that?

It's not a trading company.

I didn't think HMRC cared who the proprieter is. And, if not registered,
how could the company even pay money to HMRC?

It's registered at CoHouse and pays CT to HMRC, but it's not allowed to
register for VAT.

It pays money to HMRC for VAT in the same way that every other consumer
does.

tim