Old October 31st 04, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Tom is offline

Default Ealing to Oxford - anyone advise me on the commute?

I currently drive from High Wycombe (M40 J4) to Oxford for work, which is fine,
but am considering moving to Ealing.

I was wondering what it's like getting out of Ealing and onto the A40 - M40 in
the morning these days, and how hectic coming back in the evening?

With thanks,

Tom

Old October 31st 04, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31-Oct-2004, Tom wrote in :

I currently drive from High Wycombe (M40 J4) to Oxford for work, which is fine,
but am considering moving to Ealing.

I was wondering what it's like getting out of Ealing and onto the A40 - M40 in
the morning these days, and how hectic coming back in the evening?

With thanks

Usually a 10 min tailback on Hanger Lane to join the A40.

Argyle Road is usually easier.

The A40 itself is a fairly hateful stretch of road, though not quite as
bad west of the gyratory as it is closer to town.

I know a number of people who commute in the opposite
direction from places like Oxford or Bicester and they seem
to manage. They're all early birds of course.

--
kedron
Old October 31st 04, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Tom is offline

Usually a 10 min tailback on Hanger Lane to join the A40.

Argyle Road is usually easier.

The A40 itself is a fairly hateful stretch of road, though not quite as
bad west of the gyratory as it is closer to town.

I know a number of people who commute in the opposite
direction from places like Oxford or Bicester and they seem
to manage. They're all early birds of course.

Thanks for the info. I used to come into Wembley from Wycombe so I know the
flow of traffic into town, and hopefully things are easier going the other way
(my journey M40 J4 to Oxford is usually fine).
I'll check out Argyle Road. I'm most likely to get a short let while keeping my
local flat, so I can test the water before committing to a full move.
Tom

Old October 31st 04, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"kedron" wrote in message

Usually a 10 min tailback on Hanger Lane to join the A40.

Argyle Road is usually easier.

You can also join the A40 w/b at Lynwood Rd. I don't know what the queue is
like.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 31st 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31-Oct-2004, John Rowland wrote in :

Usually a 10 min tailback on Hanger Lane to join the A40.

Argyle Road is usually easier.

You can also join the A40 w/b at Lynwood Rd. I don't know what the queue is
like.

Yes that's true.

It depends which direction you're coming from.

Generally I'd avoid it. The connecting road, Brunswick Road,
frequently gets blocked up with traffic coming from West Ealing
trying to get onto Hanger Lane, heading for A406 north or A40 east.
Also there's a lot of school run traffic around those little streets.

--
kedron

Old October 31st 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Tom is offline

You can also join the A40 w/b at Lynwood Rd. I don't know what the queue is
like.

I'll make a note of that thanks..

Generally I'd avoid it. The connecting road, Brunswick Road,
frequently gets blocked up with traffic coming from West Ealing
trying to get onto Hanger Lane, heading for A406 north or A40 east.
Also there's a lot of school run traffic around those little streets.

Right.. I sometimes get a bit annoyed by it, but I guess if I had kids I'd
prefer to take them myself rather than have them get a bus or something..
Old October 31st 04, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom" wrote in message
I currently drive from High Wycombe (M40 J4) to Oxford for work, which is
fine,
but am considering moving to Ealing.

I was wondering what it's like getting out of Ealing and onto the A40 -
M40 in
the morning these days, and how hectic coming back in the evening?

With thanks,

Why not move closer to Oxford and save the commuting?

Old November 1st 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I briefly commuted from Ealing to Wycombe by car a couple of years
ago. To get from my house (2 miles south of the A40) to the A40 took
about the same amount of time as it did from joining the A40 to
getting to my work in central Wycombe, and this was leaving after 9am,
using the Argyle Rd/A40 junction. I was returning late evening so
obviously quicker, but not a fair comparison on the return. Depends
where you live in Ealing I guess but generally all main roads in the
area are an nightmare in the mornings. Have you considered the train?
There are direct trains from Ealing Broadway to Oxford, and also from
West Ealing and Hanwell with a change; it's not necessary to go into
London first. I think the fast trains Ealing Bdy-Oxford take a little
over an hour; more like 1h20 if you have to change/catch a slower one.
Don't know how busy they are etc but as you'd be going out of town I
would expect them to be significantly less busy than in the other
direction; you'd probably get a seat, and could use the time
productively, etc.
Old November 1st 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Keith Raeburn wrote:

snipped

Don't know how busy they are etc but as you'd be going out of town I
would expect them to be significantly less busy than in the other
direction; you'd probably get a seat, and could use the time
productively, etc.

He could use the time even more productively by living in Oxford and not
commuting. Plus he'd cut his travelling costs.

Old November 2nd 04, 01:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1-Nov-2004, Brimstone wrote in :

He could use the time even more productively by living in Oxford and not
commuting. Plus he'd cut his travelling costs.

Well he could sleep at his desk and wouldn't need to travel at all.

The fact is he wants to live in Ealing, and frankly speaking, I can
think of worse places -- Oxford being one of them.

The point about the traffic is that it's much worse coming toward
Uxbridge Road from the A40 compared to the other direction.
And someone starting out early enough to get into Oxford for
say 9:00am will miss the worst of it.

Argyle Road, BTW, is the way to go.

--
kedron