London Banter

-   -   Mercedes Black Cabs (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11778-mercedes-black-cabs.html)

Adrian March 3rd 11 10:57 AM

Mercedes Black Cabs

David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

No. Do you have a copy of that in anything other than bizarro-format
so that I can watch it?

It's a WMV, ffs. One of the most common video formats on the web. Yes,
Microsoft defined the format. Oh, noes. There's no MS software on this
machine, yet it just works.

It may be one of the most common formats, but it's still not common.
Almost all video online is in Flash, and almost all downloadable video
in some form of AVI container.

Sounds to me like some kind of religious objection going on...

David Cantrell March 4th 11 11:02 AM

Mercedes Black Cabs

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:57:42AM +0000, Adrian wrote:
David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:
It's a WMV, ffs. One of the most common video formats on the web. Yes,
Microsoft defined the format. Oh, noes. There's no MS software on this
machine, yet it just works.

It may be one of the most common formats, but it's still not common.
Almost all video online is in Flash, and almost all downloadable video
in some form of AVI container.

Sounds to me like some kind of religious objection going on...

No, it's an "I don't have anything that can play your bizarro format and
can't be arsed with tracking down software for a format that I've not
needed in the three years I've had this laptop" objection. Hope that
helps.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

Roland Perry March 4th 11 01:16 PM

Mercedes Black Cabs

In message , at 12:02:13
on Fri, 4 Mar 2011, David Cantrell remarked:

It's a WMV, ffs. One of the most common video formats on the web.

it's an "I don't have anything that can play your bizarro format and
can't be arsed with tracking down software for a format that I've not
needed in the three years I've had this laptop" objection.

Your laptop's software vendors must have a blind spot, this is pretty
standard stuff.

Adrian March 4th 11 04:39 PM

Mercedes Black Cabs

Roland Perry gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

In message , at 12:02:13
on Fri, 4 Mar 2011, David Cantrell remarked:

It's a WMV, ffs. One of the most common video formats on the web.

it's an "I don't have anything that can play your bizarro format and
can't be arsed with tracking down software for a format that I've not
needed in the three years I've had this laptop" objection.

Your laptop's software vendors must have a blind spot, this is pretty
standard stuff.

Given that I'm using Linux, and having no issues with WMV, I don't think
it's the vendors that are to blame.