Old February 20th 11, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mercedes Black Cabs

"Graham Harrison" wrote:
I saw a Mercedes (Vito?) based black cab today. I've seen a couple
previously but a thought occurred today. I have this recollection that, at
some point in the past, one of the requirements for a black cab was a
minimum turning circle and that was a part of the reason why we had unique
vehicles. Was I dreaming and have they changed the requirement?

The requirement has not been changed. In order to comply, the black
cab version of the Vito is equipped with four wheel steering.

The rear wheels steer in the opposite direction to the front wheels at
low speed and at near-full lock. They are locked in the straight
ahead position at all other times.

Details he
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6j9um8

Video review he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hziiR7-vLWg

Old February 20th 11, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Wasn't the god-awful Nissan Serena once proposed as an alternative to
the traditional purpose-built taxis? Or is it me that's now dreaming
(*)

Cheers

Matt

(*) - Or more accurately, having nightmares if it were true ..

Old February 20th 11, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , edward.harrison1
@remove.btinternet.com says...

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
I saw a Mercedes (Vito?) based black cab today. I've seen a couple
previously but a thought occurred today. I have this recollection that,
at
some point in the past, one of the requirements for a black cab was a
minimum turning circle and that was a part of the reason why we had unique
vehicles. Was I dreaming and have they changed the requirement?

The requirement has not been changed. In order to comply, the black
cab version of the Vito is equipped with four wheel steering.

The rear wheels steer in the opposite direction to the front wheels at
low speed and at near-full lock. They are locked in the straight
ahead position at all other times.

Details he
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6j9um8

Video review he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hziiR7-vLWg

Thank you.

Hello Graham, not sure where you're living these days, but if it's of
interest I spotted one in Reading with an LC58 registration.

Having seen ones in London with very similar registrations I guess this
is a London-spec one.
Old February 21st 11, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jim [wake wrote:
In article , edward.harrison1
says...
"Bruce" wrote in message
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
[...]

There is only one Vito Taxi model. Whether you buy it for use in
London, Reading or Inverness (for example) it will still have the same
key features that were necessary to gain London Public Carrriage
Office approval.

Old February 21st 11, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

m...

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
[...]

The one that caught my eye was on the M4 heading from Heathrow in to London.
The only other ones I know I've seen have been in London because they stand
out. Somerset for me these days. You OK?

Old February 23rd 11, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , edward.harrison1
@remove.btinternet.com says...

m...

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
[...]

Yes thanks Graham.

The reason I mentioned it was I had an idea you were once living
somewhere around Maidenhead.

Knowing that Reading has 'proper' cabs, I was surpised to see a LC58 reg
Vito in a rank there and I did see that it had a Reading plate.

[My interest in taxis goes right back to a competition that one of the
car hire firms ran many years ago whereby recording certain cabs earned
one a free T-Shirt]
Old February 23rd 11, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jim" [wake wrote in message
m...
In article , edward.harrison1
@remove.btinternet.com says...

m...

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
[...]

You're absolutely right. We were in Maidenhead for many years. Moved
about 3 years ago.

Old February 24th 11, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jim [wake wrote:

Knowing that Reading has 'proper' cabs, I was surpised to see a LC58 reg
Vito in a rank there and I did see that it had a Reading plate.

Why should that be a surprise? There is a thriving market in used
London cabs. That market is national. It is certainly not restricted
to London.

As for the registration number, Mercedes-Benz sells them through one
dealer based in East London, so all Mercedes Vito Taxis will have
London registrations unless the new owner has a personal plate.

Old February 24th 11, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , docnews2011
@gmail.com says...

Jim [wake wrote:

Knowing that Reading has 'proper' cabs, I was surpised to see a LC58 reg
Vito in a rank there and I did see that it had a Reading plate.

Why should that be a surprise? There is a thriving market in used
London cabs. That market is national. It is certainly not restricted
to London.

As for the registration number, Mercedes-Benz sells them through one
dealer based in East London, so all Mercedes Vito Taxis will have
London registrations unless the new owner has a personal plate.

I can't believe this as I'm sure that the dealer you refer to only sells
the London version, hence the surprise to see one in Reading.

Vitos abound in cities and towns that use 'proper' cabs like Manchester,
Nottingham, Birmingham etc and these have local registrations and are
obviously the standard model.