Old February 27th 11, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Super-Off Peak Day Travelcards from Cambridge

I bought an NXEA version today to go to Heathrow to meet my aged mother
returning from afar.

It worked fine on NR and on LU at Tottenham Hale and Heathrow T5. But at
Putney (SWT) it was rejected with code 122. I queried this with staff who
said "it's Super Off Peak", at which point I recalled a similar problem in
the past at Putney. As a result of the hassle I missed a train and was
over half an hour later home to Cambridge.

Before I complain to SWT for crap programming of their ticket gates whose
fault is this actually likely to be - theirs or NXEA's?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old February 28th 11, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
writes
I bought an NXEA version today to go to Heathrow to meet my aged mother
returning from afar.

It worked fine on NR and on LU at Tottenham Hale and Heathrow T5. But at
Putney (SWT) it was rejected with code 122. I queried this with staff who
said "it's Super Off Peak", at which point I recalled a similar problem in
the past at Putney. As a result of the hassle I missed a train and was
over half an hour later home to Cambridge.

Before I complain to SWT for crap programming of their ticket gates whose
fault is this actually likely to be - theirs or NXEA's?

It's FCC's laziness. I've have submitted over the last year a series of
complaints to FCC over the fact that these randomly don't open ticket
gates at national rail stations (and sometimes London Overground),
though the non-super versions always do. They always seem to work on
tube gates, for some reason. I've followed up with complaints to London
TravelWatch, who as usual were pretty useless, but the more pressure one
can apply to the dozy idiots at FCC the better, I figure. It appears
that they have used a code on the magnetic stripe which they have failed
to circulate to the other train operating companies. The last I heard
from FCC was that they hope the problem will be sorted out very soon.
That was last July.

Please complain to them - if enough of us do it they may decide it's
cheaper to fix the problem than keep on replying to complaints. It's
about the only hope. FCC are in fact so dozy that their own tickets
sometimes don't open their own ticket gates a few yards from the ticket
office at Luton Airport Parkway where the tickets are sold.

--
Clive Page
Old March 1st 11, 12:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Clive Page)
wrote:

In message ,
writes
[...]

It can't possibly be FCC's fault. The ticket was NXEA only, issued by an
NXEA ticket machine at an NXEA station, Cambridge. However, the last time
I had the problem at Putney it was an FCC ticket, though similarly issued
by NXEA at Cambridge (might have been from the ticket office though).
Hence my question about where to pin the blame.

I was going to say that the ticket caused no problems elsewhere, including
at Vauxhall (SWT) but I think the barriers there were open.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old March 1st 11, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Clive Page)
wrote:

In message ,
writes
Why are you so sure the fault lies with NXEA/FCC and not SWT, who do
have Super Off-Peak tickets of their own.

Because I have had problems with these tickets with East Midlands
Trains barriers at St.Pancras (now apparently fixed), with London
Overground, with SouthEast Trains, South Central, SouthWest Trains,
and with FCC's own barriers. When I complained, they admitted
there was a problem and that they were trying to fix it by
circulating details of the "new" ticket encoding to the other
companies.

It could be sloth on the part of the other companies, but it really
should be FCC (or in your case NXEA) which keeps on prodding them
to get it implemented.

It's always NXEA in my case because they always issue me the tickets at
Cambridge, whether for King's Cross or Liverpool St.

My own feeling is that there was no reason whatever to change the
code: since these tickets have exactly the same geographical
validity as the non-super off-peak One Day London Travelcard (what
a snappy description one has to use) they could have used the same
code.

Probably. They did have problems getting the ticket machines at Cambridge
to sell them until people complained. Loads of punters were buying
standard Off-Peak tickets at weekends and getting fleeced.

The FCC tickets are not valid on weekdays, but they are
dated, and only issued with a weekend (or bank holiday) date, so
that should not permit any kind of fraud even if they had the same
magnetic strip encoding.

Actually FCC did make Super-Off-Peak tickets available on weekdays for a
period last summer.

--
Colin Rosenstiel