Old August 26th 04, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Travelcard Peak/Off Peak

I'm going to London for the first time in a couple weeks. There's very
little price difference between a Peak Day TravelCard and an Off Peak Day
TravelCard, I'm not exactly sure though when one can be used and when one
can't. I can't find anywhere that lists when peak times are and when it;s
not possible to use my Off Peak Travelcard? can anyone give me an idea? or
is it better to just purchase the peak card?

Old August 26th 04, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jim Jim is offline

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...ards-day.shtml

Old August 26th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"richard" wrote in message
I'm going to London for the first time in a couple weeks. There's very
little price difference between a Peak Day TravelCard and an Off Peak Day
TravelCard, I'm not exactly sure though when one can be used and when one
can't. I can't find anywhere that lists when peak times are and when it;s
not possible to use my Off Peak Travelcard? can anyone give me an idea? or
is it better to just purchase the peak card?

I believe the offpeak one can't be used before 9.30, or on any mainline
train that arrives in London before that time.

Jonn

Old August 26th 04, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"richard" wrote in message
I'm going to London for the first time in a couple weeks. There's very
little price difference between a Peak Day TravelCard and an Off Peak Day
TravelCard, I'm not exactly sure though when one can be used and when one
can't. I can't find anywhere that lists when peak times are and when it;s
not possible to use my Off Peak Travelcard? can anyone give me an idea? or
is it better to just purchase the peak card?

0930 is the change. No evening restriction.

Peak is usually considerably more expensive.

Michael

Old August 26th 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:13:43 +0100, "richard"
wrote:

I'm going to London for the first time in a couple weeks. There's very
little price difference between a Peak Day TravelCard and an Off Peak Day
TravelCard, I'm not exactly sure though when one can be used and when one
can't. I can't find anywhere that lists when peak times are and when it;s
not possible to use my Off Peak Travelcard? can anyone give me an idea? or
is it better to just purchase the peak card?

A Peak Travelcard can be used from the first available service, up to
4am the following day.

An Off-peak Travelcard are can only be used after 9:30am, up to 4am
the following day.

Opt for the cheaper one if you don't need to travel prior to 9:30am.

Cheers,

Jason.

Old August 26th 04, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

richard wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 26 Aug 2004:

I'm going to London for the first time in a couple weeks. There's very
little price difference between a Peak Day TravelCard and an Off Peak Day
TravelCard, I'm not exactly sure though when one can be used and when one
can't. I can't find anywhere that lists when peak times are and when it;s
not possible to use my Off Peak Travelcard? can anyone give me an idea? or
is it better to just purchase the peak card?

Off-peak can be used any time at weekends, and any time after 09.30 on
weekdays, so unless you plan for an early start, get an off-peak!
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 26th 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"richard" wrote in message ...
I'm going to London for the first time in a couple weeks. There's very
little price difference between a Peak Day TravelCard and an Off Peak Day
TravelCard, I'm not exactly sure though when one can be used and when one
can't. I can't find anywhere that lists when peak times are and when it;s
not possible to use my Off Peak Travelcard? can anyone give me an idea? or
is it better to just purchase the peak card?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/2004/index.shtml

whence

Day Travelcards (Peak)
• Can be used from 0001 Mondays to Fridays
(except public holidays) on the day of validity
and for any journey that starts before 0430
the following day.
Day Travelcards (Off-Peak)
• Can be used from 0930 Mondays to Fridays,
(from 0001 Saturdays, Sundays and public
holidays) on the day of validity and for any
journey that starts before 0430 on the
following day.

So, discounting night owl activities: are you going to be travelling
before 0930 during the week? If so, you need a Peak Travelcard.
Otherwise, an Off Peak will suffice.

If this trip is for pleasure rather than business, I would avoid
travelling in the morning peak if you can. At such times the transport
system is full to bursting.

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please
Old August 26th 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:59:53 GMT, "Michael Hopkins"
wrote:

0930 is the change. No evening restriction.

If you're buying a through Travelcard from outside the zones, there
may be. One I'm familiar with is that VT won't allow the use of
off-peak Travelcards or CDRs on northbound services between 4 and 6pm.
You can still use Silverlink in this time, mind.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain
Old August 27th 04, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hi there,

richard wrote:

I'm going to London for the first time in a couple weeks. There's very
little price difference between a Peak Day TravelCard and an Off Peak
Day TravelCard, I'm not exactly sure though when one can be used and
when one can't. I can't find anywhere that lists when peak times are
and when it;s not possible to use my Off Peak Travelcard? can anyone
give me an idea? or is it better to just purchase the peak card?

if you stay for more than one day, I'd consider buying a Visitor
Travelcard, which is available in various flavours and AFAIK does not
have any daytime restrictions.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...isitor-travelc
ard.shtml

CU,
Peter

Old August 27th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Zinckgraf wrote:
richard wrote:

I'm going to London for the first time in a couple weeks. There's
very little price difference between a Peak Day TravelCard and an
Off Peak Day TravelCard, I'm not exactly sure though when one can
be used and when one can't. I can't find anywhere that lists when
peak times are and when it;s not possible to use my Off Peak
Travelcard? can anyone give me an idea? or is it better to just
purchase the peak card?

if you stay for more than one day, I'd consider buying a Visitor
Travelcard, which is available in various flavours and AFAIK does
not have any daytime restrictions.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...isitor-travelc
ard.shtml

Vistor Travelcards are designed for overseas visitors, and cannot be
purchased after arrival in London. In the UK, they can be purchased
only as part of a London holiday package through certain travel agents.
They work out more expensive than one-day or weekly Travelcards unless
full use is made of the discounts to tourist attractions.
--
Richard J.