Old March 20th 11, 07:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Why no assigned platforms?

In message , at 07:57:23 on
Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Steve Firth remarked:

27 April London Edinburgh Return BMI £40
27 April London Edinburgh Return Rail £202.70

And the difference between the two fares? The flight gets one in to
Edinburgh at 08:15 ready to work, the railway gets you into Edinburgh in
time to miss your lunch. And don't even start to think about the return
journey.

Strange how people can look at the same journey (for the same day, let
alone on different days), and see different things:

Rail
====
Journey 1: London Terminals to Edinburgh
Depart: 27 Apr 2011 London Kings Cross 06:15
Arrive: Edinburgh, 11:08
EC Advance: £25.35

Depart: 27 Apr 2011 Edinburgh 17:30
Arrive: London Kings Cross, 22:20
EC Advance: £32.50

Total £57.85

Air
===

Wednesday, 27 April 2011
06:55 LHR 08:15 EDI BD50 Economy Flexible £207
21:05 EDI 22:20 LHR BD65 Economy Flexible £207

Fuel and Insurance Surcharge GBP29.00
Air Passenger Duty (APD) GB United Kingdom GBP24.00
Passenger Service Charge - GB United Kingdom GBP32.10
Total Taxes and fees GBP85.10

Total £499.10

Although their very cheapest "Economy Saver" is still available at
£40.60 out, £25.50 back; tax and fees included! But that day seems
especially cheap for some reason (but not as cheap as the reported £40
return) with £60 each way being a typical Economy Saver fare.

Old March 20th 11, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Mar 15, 7:57*am, (Steve Firth) wrote:

john b wrote:
Meanwhile in the real world, I just checked the fares London-Edinburgh
for Wednesday 18 March.

A mid-morning Easyjet departure is GBP108 and train departure is
GBP57. For Thursday, Easyjet is the same price as the train.

For June 2 (random midweek some months ahead), the cheapest morning
Easyjet is GBP26; cheapest morning train is GBP18.55.

And you're full of ****.

Oh look, another lying, abusive rail fanboi.

27 April London Edinburgh Return BMI 40
27 April London Edinburgh Return Rail 202.70

And the difference between the two fares? The flight gets one in to
Edinburgh at 08:15 ready to work, the railway gets you into Edinburgh in
time to miss your lunch. And don't even start to think about the return
journey.

What was that about ****, crapmouth?

Shame that's nonsense though.

Cheapest return on BMI that day is GBP 66.10 - (40.60 up, 25.50 back).

Cheapest return by rail is GBP 57.85 (25.35 up, 32.50 back - these are
the Advance fares offered on the East Coast website and so include
their 10% discount).
Old March 20th 11, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Mizter T wrote:

Shame that's nonsense though.

Except it's not. Fares, as presumably you are aware, change based upon
demand and availability.
Old March 20th 11, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In message , at 14:39:20 on
Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Steve Firth remarked:

Fares, as presumably you are aware, change based upon demand and
availability.

Some do and some don't. The £202 rail fare you quoted for Edinburgh
doesn't. Nor does the £499 air fare I quoted. (Although the airfare will
eventually sell out, whereas the train fare won't).

Those are the base points; fares cheaper than that may have quotas,
restrictions etc. and what price you get, depends on demand. Picking one
day in isolation is unlikely to give a balanced view.
Old March 20th 11, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Mar 20, 2:39*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Shame that's nonsense though.

Except it's not. Fares, as presumably you are aware, change based upon
demand and availability.

It was nonsense Steve in that you'd singularly failed to look-up or at
least mention the cheap Advance rail fares (which will have been
available for weeks and weeks now, they haven't just been released)
and instead just quoted the fully flexible GBP 202.70 fare.

The BMI fares may have been cheaper when you checked, though given
your slapdash approach I wouldn't rule out you having just quoted the
outbound fare only in error.

Shame the OP x-posted this to uk.transport.

Old March 20th 11, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In message
, at
08:40:49 on Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Mizter T remarked:
The BMI fares may have been cheaper when you checked, though given
your slapdash approach I wouldn't rule out you having just quoted the
outbound fare only in error.

That was my assumption too. I couldn't see any £20 each way tickets,
instead only a few with £25 one way, and the rest much more than that
(typically £60 one way).
Old March 20th 11, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

I agree with you, John B's post was complete ****e.
Old March 20th 11, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Mizter T wrote:

Shame that's nonsense though.

Except it's not. Fares, as presumably you are aware, change based upon
demand and availability.

It was nonsense Steve in that you'd singularly failed to look-up or at
least mention the cheap Advance rail fares (which will have been
available for weeks and weeks now, they haven't just been released)
and instead just quoted the fully flexible GBP 202.70 fare.

I quoted the only fare that National Rail quoted to me. They didn't
offer any advance purchase or any other fare at all.

The BMI fares may have been cheaper when you checked, though given
your slapdash approach I wouldn't rule out you having just quoted the
outbound fare only in error.

Yeah? Well you can **** off and go suck an engine wheel or whatever you
gricers do in your spare time.

Shame the OP x-posted this to uk.transport.

Shame you draw breath.
Old March 20th 11, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
08:40:49 on Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Mizter T remarked:
The BMI fares may have been cheaper when you checked, though given
your slapdash approach I wouldn't rule out you having just quoted the
outbound fare only in error.

That was my assumption too. I couldn't see any £20 each way tickets,
instead only a few with £25 one way, and the rest much more than that
(typically £60 one way).

It was the return fare quoted by BMI. Assume what you like, you and
blowhard were wrong. I note BTW that you accepted at face value the
****e spouted by "john b" so don't try to get holier than thou about
your perceptions of partiality.

Why are railistas such lying sacks of ****?
Old March 20th 11, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In message , at 19:23:02 on
Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Steve Firth remarked:

I note BTW that you accepted at face value

Not at all, I looked up the BMI and East Coast websites.

The proposition that train and plane fares vary (and one or the other
might be cheaper, depending on the date and how far in advance you book)
is well understood. I'm not sure what the problem is here.