Old March 22nd 11, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Why no assigned platforms?

On Mar 21, 11:44*am, Roland Perry wrote:

Steve seems to be describing a hotel which doesn't require advance
payment[1], but nevertheless keeps you room for you, except past some
undisclosed trigger point at which they start to re-let it because
you've failed to turn up.

This tends, IMX, to be something like 1800, which makes it pretty
useless, so these days credit card guarantees seem pretty universal at
all but the smallest hotels.

Neil

Old March 22nd 11, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In message
, at
09:12:18 on Tue, 22 Mar 2011, Neil Williams
remarked:

Steve seems to be describing a hotel which doesn't require advance
payment[1], but nevertheless keeps you room for you, except past some
undisclosed trigger point at which they start to re-let it because
you've failed to turn up.

This tends, IMX, to be something like 1800, which makes it pretty
useless, so these days credit card guarantees seem pretty universal at
all but the smallest hotels.

I remember when I used to book visitors into the Posthouse [now a
Holiday Inn] in Brentwood, in the mid 80's. We always had to rush them
down there after work, because of a real danger that they'd re-let rooms
from 6pm.
Old March 22nd 11, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In message , at 15:34:15 on Tue,
22 Mar 2011, Tristan Miller remarked:
Shame the OP x-posted this to uk.transport.

It seemed appropriate; my question was about platform assignments in all
British rail stations, not just in London.

uk.railway would have been a more traditional choice.
Old March 22nd 11, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Roland Perry wrote:

uk.railway would have been a more traditional choice.

Yes, at least there any proposal involving rail would have been met with
fawning adulation and you could have all screamed abuse at the OP for
daring to find fault with the railways. With luck you could have all
formed the usual circle jerk and screamed "liar" at him.
Old March 22nd 11, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In message , at 17:53:00 on
Tue, 22 Mar 2011, Steve Firth remarked:
uk.railway would have been a more traditional choice.

Yes, at least there any proposal involving rail would have been met with
fawning adulation and you could have all screamed abuse at the OP for
daring to find fault with the railways.

The debate about rail vs air appears frequently. There was one today.

The answer is always the same: compare like with like, if you want any
sensible conclusion.

With luck you could have all formed the usual circle jerk and screamed
"liar" at him.

Those sorts of childish bad manners are a uk.transport thing.

Old March 22nd 11, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On 21/03/2011 08:31, Steve Firth wrote:

If finding a cheaper fare involves anything more than specifying start
and end points and asking for a return ticket then clearly it is
pointless.

Well, depends on what "asking for a return ticket" means. London to
Edinburgh is East Coast, so go to www.eastcoast.co.uk, put London,
Edinburgh, leave "return" ticked, put the dates in and let it find the
trains. Then at the top select the cheapest singles you can see, rather
than selecting "return".

I got 57.85 quid for tickets for the return journey you've been talking
about, and the time spent on the site was about the same as on an
airline site, so I think your claim that it's pointless is wrong.

Old March 22nd 11, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Greetings.

In article , Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:34:15 on Tue,
22 Mar 2011, Tristan Miller remarked:
Shame the OP x-posted this to uk.transport.

It seemed appropriate; my question was about platform assignments in all
British rail stations, not just in London.

uk.railway would have been a more traditional choice.

I hadn't heard of it before. Thanks for alerting me to its existence.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_