Old March 14th 11, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OEPs to be abandoned

On Mar 14, 6:05*pm, "tim...." wrote:

wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:

I made my comment because it was much better than things were a year ago
and seemed to be typical of SWT, one of the Oyster refusenik TOCs in the
sense that you still can't buy Oyster credit at their booking offices
(other than where they share with TfL as at Richmond and Wimbledon).

I don't know if they started recently but when Oyster was an TfL only
product stations shared with NR didn't sell Oyster products unless the
station was Owned by TfL.

(so the above examples didn't, but Kew Gardens did)

No, that's by no means a universal truth - for example, before PAYG
went live on NR, Silverlink offered Oyster top-ups at Kensington
Olympia, indeed I think all the Silverstink run stations on the DC
line did the same, ditto Southeastern at New Cross and Lewisham
stations, pretty sure that WAGN offered it at some (but not all)
ticket windows at Wathamstow Central (poss. also Finsbury Park), I
think c2c 'did' Oyster at Upminster (and maybe Barking), and there
were I think others...

(FWIW, I think SWT eventually came round to retailing Oyster from
their ticket windows at Wimbledon and Richmond some time before PAYG
on NR happened.)

Old March 14th 11, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I don't think Lembit will care either way. He's not a candidate.

He wants to be, of course...

Wanted to be I'm sure. That was last September. I saw him at the weekend.

He reaffirmed it last week:

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2...wnership-drive

And it's clear London Lib Dem activists are desperate to have an alternative
choice:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/rolling-n...ing-23398.html

But it seems the choice for party members will be:

Someone barely known outside their borough
Someone barely known outside their ward
Lembit

Old March 16th 11, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:02:54 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

(FWIW, I think SWT eventually came round to retailing Oyster from
their ticket windows at Wimbledon and Richmond some time before PAYG
on NR happened.)

I wonder how? Did they keep some old APTIS machines, or use a Ticket
Stop terminal? At least initially, I don't think Fujitsu STAR did
Oyster.

Richard.
Old March 16th 11, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
(FWIW, I think SWT eventually came round to retailing Oyster from
their ticket windows at Wimbledon and Richmond some time before PAYG
on NR happened.)

I wonder how? *Did they keep some old APTIS machines, or use a Ticket
Stop terminal? *At least initially, I don't think Fujitsu STAR did
Oyster.

One way such incompatibilities can be overcome is to have two entirely
separate bits of kit - the regular TIS terminals at the counters, plus
a separate terminal for loading the Oyster products onto the card
(replete with Oyster pad and also a magstripe reader) - the mildly
Heath Robinson-esque procedure being to do the financial transaction
at the regular TIS terminal and get it to spew out a ticket/coupon for
the Oyster top-up (or Travelcard etc), then walk over and stick said
coupon into the magstripe reader in the secondary terminal dedicated
to Oyster and load the desired product onto the Oyster card there (the
magstripe reader presumably cancels the coupon's magic at the same
time). Not sure if this was how SWT did it at Wimbledon and Richmond.

Never saw or heard of a Ticket Stop terminal being used in a railway
booking office, that's not to say it never happened of course.
Old March 16th 11, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:20:00 -0800 (PST), Jack
wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:07?am, john b wrote:
On Mar 13, 7:06?am, Jack wrote:
On Mar 12, 12:45?pm, john b wrote:

[...] If the light's gone green and the barrier's opened, I
don't think it's *possible* for the system to leave your journey
unresolved.

John - ?it is perfectly possible. ?The gate / validator, ?station
computer and hence the central system record the exit (or entry -
equally possible) but the exit (or entry) is not written to the card.
It happens from time to time.

John - the system adjusts data on the card chip during transactions.
The balance and / or season tickets are held on the card chip, not in
the central system. [...] There will always be a minority of transactions that are
not completely successful.
The point is that maximum fares are deducted during the transaction
with the gate or validator and not after the fact.

I would expect it to be designed such that the green light is not
given until the card has confirmed that it has successfully received
the update. That way, the transaction can be attempted again.

One of my old Oyster cards used to work on the Underground but on the
bus, 50% of the time a "Card Communication Failure" would happen
immediately afterwards. I wonder why that was... Of course failing
to touch in and out isn't a problem on the bus but as far as I know I
always paid the fa this wasn't a case of a "green light" followed
by an inability to debit the money, which seems to be the situation
discussed above.

Richard.

Old March 16th 11, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

(FWIW, I think SWT eventually came round to retailing Oyster from
their ticket windows at Wimbledon and Richmond some time before PAYG
on NR happened.)

I wonder how? Did they keep some old APTIS machines, or use a Ticket
Stop terminal? At least initially, I don't think Fujitsu STAR did
Oyster.

No, they use Cubic Oyster Converter machines
--
Stuart Johnson in Peterhead, Scotland
To reply direct remove FILTER from

Old March 17th 11, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Richard wrote:
I would expect it to be designed such that the green light is not
given until the card has confirmed that it has successfully received
the update. That way, the transaction can be attempted again.

IIRC the Washington, D.C. metro equivalent of Oyster (SmarTrip) -- and
it is very similar, although much simpler -- has a message that the
gates can flash up which is something like "touch again". I
hypothesise that you get this when a valid card is recognized but the
transaction to write data back hasn't completed (or isn't know to be
completed). The gate doesn't open, the display flashes up "touch
again" and when you do so, all is well.

I'm slightly surprised, on reflection, that Oyster gates don't have a
similar message.

-roy
Old March 20th 11, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 14, 3:45*pm, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:

On Mar 13, 11:27 pm, wrote:
[snip]
I don't think Lembit will care either way. He's not a candidate.

He wants to be, of course...

Wanted to be I'm sure. That was last September. I saw him at the weekend.

You know this is coming!

"Former MP Lembit Opik has confirmed he wants to be the Liberal
Democrat candidate in the London mayoral elections [...]"

"Citizen Lem":
http://vimeo.com/19351644

Um.

Littering Lem?

Think the footbridge is the one just west of Tooting station - not
sure which footbridge it was that featured in the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMKsR_wUSfA
Old March 20th 11, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 20, 2:22*pm, Mizter T wrote:
[snip]
"Citizen Lem":
http://vimeo.com/19351644

Um.

Littering Lem?

Think the footbridge is the one just west of Tooting station - not
sure which footbridge it was that featured in the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMKsR_wUSfA

Actually, looks more like the one further west between Kenior Rd and
Boundary Rd... not that it matters.