Old April 30th 10, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default NXEA & OEPs

The National Express self service machines at Liverpool Street now
give the option to set and disable Oyster Extension Permits.

Old April 30th 10, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Apr 30, 3:48*pm, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
The National Express self service machines at Liverpool Street now
give the option to set and disable Oyster Extension Permits.

As do either the FCC or Southeastern self-service ticket machines
(which are both Scheidt & Bachmann) - afraid I can't for the life of
me remember where I was when I discovered this, so I can't say which
it was! I will investigate this weekend and report back. Quite
possible all S&B ticket machines regardless of TOC can 'do' OEPs -
sounds as though S&B (or whoever) got round to developing and rolling
out a software modification so as to handle OEPs. Perhaps just in time
for the whole system to be abandoned come May!
Old April 30th 10, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:53:04 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

Quite
possible all S&B ticket machines regardless of TOC can 'do' OEPs -
sounds as though S&B (or whoever) got round to developing and rolling
out a software modification so as to handle OEPs.

Yep. The LM ones do as well.

Perhaps just in time
for the whole system to be abandoned come May!

Really? That's good news.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old April 30th 10, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
Quite
possible all S&B ticket machines regardless of TOC can 'do' OEPs -
sounds as though S&B (or whoever) got round to developing and rolling
out a software modification so as to handle OEPs.

Yep. *The LM ones do as well.

UIVMM the LM ones didn't do OEPs until recently though. I must admit
I'm not totally certain as to whether I ever tested the LM ticket
machines for their OEP ability (or lack thereof) back in January -
afraid my experimentation does rather lack scientific rigour at times,
like recording (and publishing) the results!

My guess is that all S&B TVMs* within London that are Oyster capable
are now able to issue (and cancel) OEPs - Shere TVMs fitted with
Oyster pads could do so already, so actually getting hold of an OEP
(so to speak) is now a bit easier. Though SWT machines, despite being
S&B, don't do Oyster at all - they're all fitted with ITSO smartcard
readers for SWT's forthcoming smartcard system instead. Somewhat
ironic as SWT were widely thought to have been at the forefront of the
TOC awkward squad when it came to acceptance of Oyster PAYG in London.

Perhaps just in time
for the whole system to be abandoned come May!

Really? *That's good news.

Well, I understand that's when the system is up for review - TfL don't
like it at all, and lots of people seemingly don't really understand
it and/or can't be bothered with it (including some TOC staff, by the
sounds of it).

-----
*TVM = Ticket Vending Machine
Old April 30th 10, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Matthew Dickinson wrote:

The National Express self service machines at Liverpool Street now
give the option to set and disable Oyster Extension Permits.

So do the ones at Forest Gate.

I also saw the same feature at the ticket office at London Bridge but can't
remember which TOC runs it.

Old April 30th 10, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mizter T wrote:

Well, I understand that's when the system is up for review - TfL don't
like it at all, and lots of people seemingly don't really understand
it and/or can't be bothered with it (including some TOC staff, by the
sounds of it).

In the last two weeks I've been through Forest Gate, Stratford, Liverpool
Street, Waterloo, Clapham Junction, Kingston, London Bridge, East Croydon,
West Croydon, Ewell East, Epsom Downs and Victoria. I can't recall seeing
*any* publicity to tell people about OEPs - certainly no "Going out of
Zone?" style posters similar to the ones TfL have run in past years to
actually encourage use. Are any of the TOCs making the slightest effort on
this one?

Old May 1st 10, 07:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

Perhaps just in time
for the whole system to be abandoned come May!

Really? That's good news.

Yes, anything that leads to the whole stupid Zonal/Oyster system has
got to be a good thing. I don't much like Boris but if he's _finally_
doing something to send Oyster to the bin where in belongs, I'll even
forgive him all that Routemaster nonsense.
Old May 1st 10, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On May 1, 10:00*am, Paul Corfield wrote:

wrote:
Perhaps just in time
for the whole system to be abandoned come May!

Really? *That's good news.

Yes, anything that leads to the whole stupid Zonal/Oyster system has
got to be a good thing. *I don't much like Boris but if he's _finally_
doing something to send Oyster to the bin where in belongs, I'll even
forgive him all that Routemaster nonsense.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I think Mizter T was only hinting about
OEPs not the entire Oyster concept. *It's not going anywhere near a bin
for a very long time - too much money and political capital has been
invested.

More to the point everyone uses it and most people like it! But solar
penguin is welcome to keep on wishing for that most unlikely of
outcomes - though he might like to bear in mind Boris' keenness for so-
called "Oysterisation" (the phrase he used in relation to getting
Oyster PAYG on National Rail in London).
Old May 1st 10, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
[...]

I couldn't quite follow Mr Penguin's hopefulness anyway, nor yours
actually, but they are contradictory anyway .... No, I've lost it,
but what I mean is ...

Given that OEPs were basically a way of sabotaging the implementation
of PAYG on NR, their abandonment would actually help to establish
Oyster, not get rid of it.

But at the same time, the fact that TOCs are starting to make OEPs
available is presumably an indication that they are not going to be
abandoned and removes one argument for ignoring them (ie that you
couldn't get them at the places where they are required from the
machines of the companies that required them).