Old March 11th 11, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OEPs to be abandoned

OEPs are to be discontinued in May.

London Mayor Boris Johnson said: "For anyone heading to outer London the
extension permits were utterly baffling. I'm delighted they will no
longer be required."
--
Paul Terry

Old March 11th 11, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote:

OEPs are to be discontinued in May.

London Mayor Boris Johnson said: "For anyone heading to outer London the
extension permits were utterly baffling. I'm delighted they will no longer
be required."

That's very good news.

(Of course the supposed OEP requirement applied just as much to those
heading to inner London, but never mind...)

Old March 11th 11, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

OEPs are to be discontinued in May.

London Mayor Boris Johnson said: "For anyone heading to outer London the
extension permits were utterly baffling. I'm delighted they will no longer
be required."

The above quote just shows how baffling - what he should have said was 'For
anyone using a combination of Travelcard and PAYG [OEPs] were utterly
baffling".

For many others they were completely irrelevant - it would be interesting to
know the proportions...

TfL version he

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/19358.aspx

Paul S

Old March 11th 11, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

OEPs are to be discontinued in May.

Interesting news - a relatively easy "win" to headline the rail summit
that will be well received by everyone, including the Mayor's critics.

I wonder how much arm twisting has been applied in the background to get
to this point?

Y'know, I don't know how long these have been going, (2 years? more?) but
I've never actually got one. It wasn't until I was visiting a mate out in
Twickenham last year that it struck me as I touched out at the far
station that I probably should have got one - but I guessed they're just
not that important....?

Outside of this and other of the geekier forums, how many people do you
think ever bought them or have any idea of their existence?
Old March 11th 11, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Greetings.

In article , Paul Terry wrote:
OEPs are to be discontinued in May.

So what are they going to be replaced with? An honour system?

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
_V.-o Tristan Miller Space is limited

Old March 11th 11, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tristan Miller" wrote in message
Greetings.

In article , Paul Terry wrote:
OEPs are to be discontinued in May.

So what are they going to be replaced with? An honour system?

By default, yes. That's how TfL deal with the issue of Oyster travelcard
holders going outside their zones - it's always been assumed they just
accept the risk of underpayment at their relatively small number of ungated
stations.

Paul S

Old March 11th 11, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I misread the subject as "OAPs to be abandoned" and assumed this was
going to be a post about some reduction in validity of the Freedom
Pass and/or the national concessionary bus pass.

Then I (thought I) read:

Paul Terry wrote:

OAPs are to be discontinued in May.

....and I was thinking "??!"

:-)

-roy

Old March 11th 11, 11:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 12, 8:55*am, Paul Corfield wrote:
They were an overly complex "solution" to a perceived risk to revenue.
The fact that the people who wanted the system put in place did
*nothing* to advertise it to their passengers says it all. *It was also
clear from early GLA member questions that there was little or no
training of TOC staff about the concept and why it was required.

You then move on to the next nonsense which is that the people who
wanted it, did nothing about it then penalty fared their own passengers
for not complying with a system requirement they probably knew nothing
about. You couldn't make it up.

Were people *actually* PFed for not having OEPs, or is that just
extrapolated from theoretical possibility?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old March 12th 11, 03:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 11, 7:41*pm, Martin Petrov
wrote:
how many people do you
think ever bought them or have any idea of their existence?

In February 2010 TfL reported to London Travelwatch that OEPs were
being set for 3% of appropriate journeys. The latest information I
have seen indicates that this figure has increased.

To 4%
Old March 12th 11, 03:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 12, 12:41*am, john b wrote:
Were people *actually* PFed for not having OEPs,

It has been reported that Southeastern have been issuing Penalty Fares
for not having an OEP set. See, for example, the response by "Louise"
on this page:
http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/2011/0...hange-to-oeps/