London Banter

-   -   Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11930-massive-disruption-paddington-very-badly.html)

SB April 5th 11 12:38 AM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

Sadly there was yet another person hit by a train at Southall on
Monday evening (yesterday).

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/co...c=669.msg87663

This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does seem to
be a regular occurance.

Anyway you would have thought that First Great Western might have had
a contingency plan for such occurrences by now.

However the situation at Paddington was complete chaos. At 9.30 pm
when I s
was there all the destination board said was Delayed or Cancelled for
*every train* - Local, Intercity, and Airport.

The concourse was packed with late commuters trying to get home, yet
with no means of doing so.

There were no FGW or BAA HEX or Network Rail duty managers in sight.
Apparently they'd all gone home.

There were no extra staff drafted in to help inform the crowds.

There were no Transport Police / Community Officers in sight.

All of the gateline staff had gone home, and all the gates were left
open.

On the concourse one Information Desk was closed, on the other there
were just two staff to deal with the hoard of by now very frustrated
passengers. yet they had no information to give out except what was
displayed on the destination board - which said Delayed or Cancelled.
It was apparent that failing the appearance on any management no-one
knew what was going on and had no means of finding out.

There were no alternative transport arrangements available, i.e. with
coaches or buses, for getting airline travellers (laden with luggage)
to Heathrow - all of the BAA's HEX and CON services were all cancelled
to about 22.00. Hundreds of passengers must have missed their flights.

Southall has six lines / three pairs. If the incident affected say the
slow lines then there are at leastthe fast and freight lines that
could have been used as a local diversion. Even if the fast lines had
been affected then at least the slow and freight lines could have been
used.

Whilst it is sad that yet another person from Southall ws hit by a
train, it is unacceptable for Paddington to be reduced into chaos yet
again for the lack of any leadership or even appearance of any
managers or extra staff.

SB

Chris Sanderson April 5th 11 01:31 AM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

One person has lost their life, many others will be affected for
months or possibly even years by the experience...but hey, some people
might get home an hour or two late! Oh no! Thats infinately more
important than making sure that there arent bits of body lying about,
or checking the need to preserve a possible crime scene - just send
trains along the other lines! Oh, and there must be loads of staff to
tell abusive passengers who cant comprehend announcements or displays
that no, they dont know when or if their train will run.

Sorry for being flippant, but it happens. Poor people in poor areas
end their miserable lives. People going home from work get delayed.
Trains are cancelled. Staff get shouted at because they dont have
crystal balls. Its not going to change, so my advice is to go and find
a café, have a sit down and stop being so angry when compared to the
poor unfortunate who died and the poor unfortunate's who have to clear
up the result you have VERY little to complain about.

Ida Jobee April 5th 11 06:15 AM

On Apr 5, 2:31*am, Chris Sanderson wrote:
[...]

Maybe so, but its us what have to suffer the delays and the railways
should have a contingecy for when events like this happen but the
truth is theyre just not interested in going out of there way if its
going to cost them to bring in buses/coaches/taxis when they can just
put there hands up and say its network rails fault.

TimB[_2_] April 5th 11 06:57 AM

[...]

Yes it happens, alas - that's why there should be some contingency
planning.
Tim

Graeme Wall April 5th 11 07:13 AM

On 05/04/2011 01:38, SB wrote:
Sadly there was yet another person hit by a train at Southall on
Monday evening (yesterday).

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/co...c=669.msg87663

This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does seem to
be a regular occurance.

One theory I've seen is that many of the suicides are Asian women
escaping the torments of arranged marriages. Southall, of course,
having a large population of British Asians.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Neil Williams April 5th 11 07:18 AM

On Apr 5, 2:38*am, SB wrote:

There were no alternative transport arrangements available, i.e. with
coaches or buses, for getting airline travellers (laden with luggage)
to Heathrow

Was the Piccadilly Line off?

Neil

bob[_2_] April 5th 11 07:31 AM

On Apr 5, 3:31*am, Chris Sanderson wrote:
[...]

Perhaps we should have declared a day of national mourning and stopped
all work from happening anywhere.

If everything is in chaos and nothing running at 21.00, for farther
flung destinations (Paddington is, after all, an intercity station),
we are starting to get into "last train" times. If you're a couple of
hundred miles from home and your only route home is cancelled, it's a
little more serious than "go to a cafe and come back later", because
"later" could well be tomorrow morning. Would you be happy to be
dumped in a railway station 200 miles from home overnight with nowhere
to stay under such circumstances?

It's not just a question of "damn the crime scene, get the trains
running", there are other railway lines and other ways of getting
there (eg via Waterloo, coaches).

Robin

Roland Perry April 5th 11 07:31 AM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

In message , at 08:13:21 on Tue, 5
Apr 2011, Graeme Wall remarked:
This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does seem to
be a regular occurance.

One theory I've seen is that many of the suicides are Asian women
escaping the torments of arranged marriages.

And for cultural reasons they may well find it much harder to seek help.

Southall, of course, having a large population of British Asians.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/967153.stm

"Asian women are three times more likely to commit suicide than the rest
of the population."

Neil Williams April 5th 11 08:14 AM

On Apr 5, 9:31*am, bob wrote:

It's not just a question of "damn the crime scene, get the trains
running", there are other railway lines and other ways of getting
there (eg via Waterloo, coaches).

And a passenger is ill-advised to act outside staff advice at that
time of night, as if they're then stranded you can be sure "it's your
own fault" will be the answer. So there needed to be staff to decide
what to do and to confirm it to passengers.

Neil

Chris[_2_] April 5th 11 08:26 AM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

Body parts could be spread across all six tracks if a person is hit at
125mph.....it could also be a crime scene and the line would have been
closed by the BTP until they are satisfied with their investigations.
Then Network Rail has to clear all the body parts by bringing in the
Emergency Services. Only then can they start opening lines up.

If I get caught up in this sort of disruption, I usyally expect it to
last at least two hours - so try & find out from staff etc what time
the lines were closed & then work out my options.

It can take over an hour, sometimes two to organise coaches - hence
why it usually isn't worth it from Padd - by the time they are
organised and ready for loading, plus the travel time to Reading - the
lines are usually open - so best to wait for the trains to start
running. TOCs have to get you to your destination if you arrive in
good time for a train that would have taken you there...so there's NO
risk of getting dumped overnight *providing* you don't wander away
from the station for too long - you might miss the only train to go to
where you want to be. REfreshments withinn the station are fine.

Personally, my sympathies are with the driver of the affected train,
along with track & emergency personnel who have to pick up the bits -
not a nice job. It's something the travelling public have to accept....

TimB[_2_] April 5th 11 08:53 AM

On Apr 5, 9:26*am, Chris wrote:
[...]

Buses to Reading, for those missing last trains to S Wales, Plymouth
etc) might be part of the answer?

Graeme Wall April 5th 11 09:01 AM

On 05/04/2011 08:59, Hils wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:13:21 on Tue, 5
Apr 2011, Graeme Wall remarked:
This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does seem to
be a regular occurance.

One theory I've seen is that many of the suicides are Asian women
escaping the torments of arranged marriages.

And for cultural reasons they may well find it much harder to seek help.

Southall, of course, having a large population of British Asians.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/967153.stm

"Asian women are three times more likely to commit suicide than the
rest of the population."

"One study found that the suicide rate in women aged 16-24 years was
three times higher in women of Asian origin than in white British women.
[...] Asian men appear to be far less vulnerable to suicide than young
men from white British backgrounds."

(The suicide rate among white British women is lower than in the general
population. The suicide rate among men is more than three times that
among women.)

Actually the male suicide rate is three times that of women, not more
than three.

"[The] risk of suicide in unemployed men is two to three times higher
than in the general population."

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/research...ion_strategies

Odd how we read more about Asian [sic] women being "victims" than about
unemployed men.

Admittedly only a quick read but I see no reference to 'victims' in that
article.

Chris Tolley[_2_] April 5th 11 09:02 AM

Hils wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I suspect that it isn't odd at all, but predetermined by our selection
of what we read.

Moreover, the women of Asian heritage who are driven to take their lives
often have been victims of abuse from an identifiable abuser, whereas
someone who is unemployed has rarely been victimised by one person,
unless you are going to lay the blame for their state at the door of the
person who puts the figures in the spreadsheet.

--
..sig down for maintenance

Chris Tolley[_2_] April 5th 11 09:12 AM

Neil Williams wrote:

On Apr 5, 9:31*am, bob wrote:

It's not just a question of "damn the crime scene, get the trains
running", there are other railway lines and other ways of getting
there (eg via Waterloo, coaches).

And a passenger is ill-advised to act outside staff advice at that
time of night, as if they're then stranded you can be sure "it's your
own fault" will be the answer. So there needed to be staff to decide
what to do and to confirm it to passengers.

Until those investigating at the scene have actually said, "okay, we've
finished now" all rail staff can do is offer guesses, though.

Information about alternative routes home could also be overtaken by
events - e.g. people being directed to H&C line trains by fGW staff
could find them cancelled because of overcrowding.

It's very hard to come up with a one-size-fits-all answer in these
circumstances, apart from "keep calm and carry on".

--
..sig down for maintenance

Neil Williams April 5th 11 09:32 AM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

On Apr 5, 11:12*am, Chris Tolley (ukonline
really) wrote:

Until those investigating at the scene have actually said, "okay, we've
finished now" all rail staff can do is offer guesses, though.

What they can do is offer the ability to say "we were told to do
that". Which can be very useful when someone gets stuck further down
the line.

They can also reassure people that they aren't being ignored. The LUL
requirement for a "we are being held at a red signal" announcement
after N minutes (N=2?) is a good example. It does not provide useful
information, but it does provide reassurance that someone gives a
monkeys about the passengers and they are not just an operational
inconvenience.

It's very hard to come up with a one-size-fits-all answer in these
circumstances, apart from "keep calm and carry on".

And reassurance. The human factor is very important, but often
neglected.

Oddly, said human factor can sometimes be provided via technology. I
find LM's Twitter feed very good for this.

Neil

Chris Tolley[_2_] April 5th 11 09:44 AM

really) wrote:

Until those investigating at the scene have actually said, "okay, we've
finished now" all rail staff can do is offer guesses, though.

What they can do is offer the ability to say "we were told to do
that". Which can be very useful when someone gets stuck further down
the line.

They can also reassure people that they aren't being ignored. The LUL
requirement for a "we are being held at a red signal" announcement
after N minutes (N=2?) is a good example. It does not provide useful
information, but it does provide reassurance that someone gives a
monkeys about the passengers and they are not just an operational
inconvenience.

Well, I'd certainly agree that an announcement every so often saying
"Unfortunately we do not have any firm information about when trains
will be able to leave" would convey the idea that somebody was
interested in the passengers, but I can't see what else could be said
when there is no information to convey. Some of the more strident
comments in this thread seem to assume that managers on the scene would
somehow be able to convey information that was not otherwise being
conveyed.

It's very hard to come up with a one-size-fits-all answer in these
circumstances, apart from "keep calm and carry on".

And reassurance. The human factor is very important, but often
neglected.

That may be a by-product of compensation culture. In the past, I reckon
there was much more of a "we're all in this together" attitude, whereas
nowadays, there's a prevalent, "whose fault is this and how much can I
screw them for?"

Oddly, said human factor can sometimes be provided via technology. I
find LM's Twitter feed very good for this.

So I gather from your previous postings. The only time I've bothered
with Twitter (not railway related) I haven't found anything sufficiently
interesting to persevere with it.

--
..sig down for maintenance

Roland Perry April 5th 11 09:50 AM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

In message , at 08:59:10 on Tue, 5 Apr
2011, Hils remarked:
"Asian women are three times more likely to commit suicide than the
rest of the population."

Odd how we read more about Asian [sic] women being "victims" than about
unemployed men.

Perhaps they have less dramatic/public ways of doing it. Although some
believe that quite a few fatal road accidents may in fact be suicides,
but rarely reported as such (modulo Ufton).

bob[_2_] April 5th 11 09:51 AM

really) wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
On Apr 5, 9:31 am, bob wrote:

It's not just a question of "damn the crime scene, get the trains
running", there are other railway lines and other ways of getting
there (eg via Waterloo, coaches).

And a passenger is ill-advised to act outside staff advice at that
time of night, as if they're then stranded you can be sure "it's your
own fault" will be the answer. *So there needed to be staff to decide
what to do and to confirm it to passengers.

Until those investigating at the scene have actually said, "okay, we've
finished now" all rail staff can do is offer guesses, though.

Information about alternative routes home could also be overtaken by
events - e.g. people being directed to H&C line trains by fGW staff
could find them cancelled because of overcrowding.

It's very hard to come up with a one-size-fits-all answer in these
circumstances, apart from "keep calm and carry on".

The problem is the railways are not following a "keep calm, carry on"
approach, they are following a "pack up and go home" approach, leaving
passengers stranded. There should be contingency plans for how to
deal with the closure of key points on the network, ready to act on
with half an hour's notice. It should be clear to management within
half an hour whether the situation is a "open again in a few minutes"
or "closed for the rest of the evening" situation. For management to
just sit on that information and neither pass it on, nor advise
passengers (who may have train-specific non flexible tickets) how to
go about getting home, nor give them advice on alternative routes that
are available, is bad management. Just sticking a "we're really
sorry, your train is cancelled" message on the information display is
not a contingency plan, and it's not keeping calm and carrying on.

Robin

[email protected] April 5th 11 10:04 AM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 01:26:43 -0700 (PDT)
Chris wrote:
Body parts could be spread across all six tracks if a person is hit at
125mph.....it could also be a crime scene and the line would have been
closed by the BTP until they are satisfied with their investigations.

Thats the trouble with the police in this country - every accident is a crime
scene until proven otherwise no matter how trivial or how much distruption it
causes. In europe you need a bloody good reason to close an entire motorway or
main rail line for hours but in this country it just needs one jobsworth
plod and thats it for the day. In spain last year I drove past 2 trucks that
had collided head on. In this country plod would have closed the entire
stretch of road for a day - in spain the police were just waving drivers
past as they got on with their job.

B2003

Neil Williams April 5th 11 10:11 AM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

On Apr 5, 11:44*am, Chris Tolley (ukonline
really) wrote:

Well, I'd certainly agree that an announcement every so often saying
"Unfortunately we do not have any firm information about when trains
will be able to leave" would convey the idea that somebody was
interested in the passengers, but I can't see what else could be said
when there is no information to convey.

That's roughly the same as the Tube one. It might also be worth
suggesting alternatives that are known to exist as others have posted
and cross-ticket acceptance arranged where sensible. But such an
announcement does have value - or LU clearly believe so!

And reassurance. *The human factor is very important, but often
neglected.

That may be a by-product of compensation culture. In the past, I reckon
there was much more of a "we're all in this together" attitude, whereas
nowadays, there's a prevalent, "whose fault is this and how much can I
screw them for?"

I disagree. It may well be that the railway used to leave people
stranded or ignore them through its own self importance. That doesn't
mean to say they should now. Airlines are atrocious at this, I find,
the railway is rather better. Is that not a good thing?

FWIW, I do not claim Delay Repay money from the railway in an event
causing delay that is beyond its control, such as the one this thread
is discussing; that would seem unreasonable to me. But it does seem
reasonable to me that regardless of the cause of the delay the railway
should assist the passengers and provide them information, even if
that information is "we haven't forgotten you, but by the way there is
no information". It might similarly mean that the railway isn't in a
position to pay for hotel accommodation, but will assist you in
finding it, for instance, or might even pay for it out of goodwill, or
park a train in the platform to let people kip on there (as I believe
Eurostar have done once or twice). It's not about who is strictly
liable, it's about a company's moral responsibility to its customers.

So I gather from your previous postings. The only time I've bothered
with Twitter (not railway related) I haven't found anything sufficiently
interesting to persevere with it.

I haven't found a use for it other than transport information. But it
does pretty well at that if the TOC do their job. I have LM, VT and
Chiltern on there, and while they differ in how they work, all of them
are useful. Vastly more up to date and relevant than the Nexus Alpha
sites, or the now uselessly out of date NRE site.

Neil

Chris Tolley[_2_] April 5th 11 10:52 AM

really) wrote:

And reassurance. *The human factor is very important, but often
neglected.

That may be a by-product of compensation culture. In the past, I reckon
there was much more of a "we're all in this together" attitude, whereas
nowadays, there's a prevalent, "whose fault is this and how much can I
screw them for?"

I disagree. It may well be that the railway used to leave people
stranded or ignore them through its own self importance. That doesn't
mean to say they should now. Airlines are atrocious at this, I find,
the railway is rather better. Is that not a good thing?

I wasn't talking about what the railway was up to. I was talking about
the collective attitude of the public. People used to be more patient
than they are now, and because there was "some such thing as society"
they were probably more sympathetic.

As to the railways, I am sure that corporately the view has always been
that the customers should be treated well, but at the sharp end it is
all very much dependent on the person on the spot, and also on the mood
of the member of the public involved in the interaction. Some people can
become very irate very quickly when there is nothing realistic that the
railway servant could offer to ameliorate the situation.

FWIW, I do not claim Delay Repay money from the railway in an event
causing delay that is beyond its control, such as the one this thread
is discussing; that would seem unreasonable to me. But it does seem
reasonable to me that regardless of the cause of the delay the railway
should assist the passengers and provide them information, even if
that information is "we haven't forgotten you, but by the way there is
no information". It might similarly mean that the railway isn't in a
position to pay for hotel accommodation, but will assist you in
finding it, for instance, or might even pay for it out of goodwill, or
park a train in the platform to let people kip on there (as I believe
Eurostar have done once or twice). It's not about who is strictly
liable, it's about a company's moral responsibility to its customers.

It's an interesting area of discussion where the moral responsibility of
the railway lies in a situation where control has been wrested from it
by some external contingency. Clearly enough, when the railway itself
goes pear-shaped, that's where responsibility lies, but otherwise?

--
..sig down for maintenance

TonySK14 April 5th 11 11:08 AM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

It seems to me like the OP states, that there does just to seem to be
any contingency plan for what is, unfortunatly, a regular event.

When I was an old fashioned guard at Manchester Piccadilly in the
early 80's the contingency manual for a blockage of all four lines
south of Rugby was like the Encyclopedia Brittanica and everybody new
what to do when depending on exact circumstances.

Also if all the managers and high grade supervisors had gone home then
a van was sent round to bring them all back again.

But then of course, those were the days when, if such an occurance
happened Piccadilly - Euston trains simply had a diesel hung on the
front and off they went vis the Dore curve and Derby to St Pancras.

Plus ca change (sorry I don't know how to do accents)

Neil Williams April 5th 11 11:13 AM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

On Apr 5, 12:52*pm, Chris Tolley (ukonline
really) wrote:

It's an interesting area of discussion where the moral responsibility of
the railway lies in a situation where control has been wrested from it
by some external contingency. Clearly enough, when the railway itself
goes pear-shaped, that's where responsibility lies, but otherwise?

I'd say it was morally the responsibility of a company to assist its
customers as far as is reasonably feasible in the event of being
unable, for whatever reason, to deliver the advertised service. At
the very least this would extend to a refund for services not rendered
and information on where else those services may be obtained, and
would also extend to the provision of adequate information.

To use another example, if a hotel was closed due to being subject to
an arson attack, it might be reasonable for the hotel to have a member
of staff on hand (or at least a notice saying how to contact one there
and then, perhaps at a nearby hotel of the same chain) who could give
out information on where else they might be able to stay, as such
information is often hard to come by late at night.

In situations where a civil emergency is going on (say an earthquake)
what can be done is rather limited, of course. But we aren't talking
about that, we're talking about the closure of part (not all) of the
railway system.

Neil

Recliner[_2_] April 5th 11 11:14 AM

"Hils" wrote in message

Chris Tolley wrote:
Hils wrote:
Odd how we read more about Asian [sic] women being "victims" than
about unemployed men.

I suspect that it isn't odd at all, but predetermined by our
selection of what we read.

Moreover, the women of Asian heritage who are driven to take their
lives often have been victims of abuse from an identifiable abuser,
whereas someone who is unemployed has rarely been victimised by one
person, unless you are going to lay the blame for their state at the
door of the person who puts the figures in the spreadsheet.

Semantic sophistry. Asian-heritage women choose to stay in abusive
environments. If some of them don't understand enough about British
culture or the English language to go to the police or social services
before they reach the stage of stepping in front of a train, the
questions to be asked are why don't they understand those things?

I've read that these are educated women imported from the subcontinent
for arranged marriages to young men who turn out not to live up to their
billing (less eductaed than claimed, or much older/uglier). Their
families would lose face if they returned home to India, and they have
no local support network here to help when they're bullied by their
mothers-in-law who treat them little better than slaves.

Sailor April 5th 11 11:53 AM

really) wrote:
[...]

My railway experience of yesteryear was that in general the system was
flexible to the point where trains could be provided at very little
notice. In those days of course, the railway staff themselves were
very much users of the system as their primary ( and free) means of
daily transport. Todays railways by their basic organisation is less
able to react at short notice and has resurrected all the petty
weaknesses of mid 19th century wars of access and running rights!

tony[_2_] April 5th 11 12:19 PM

really) wrote:
[...]

What would Gerry Fiennes have done??

Peter Masson[_2_] April 5th 11 01:15 PM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

"tony" wrote

What would Gerry Fiennes have done??

Get the Spitalfields Pilot out to drag the failure up the bank to Bethnal
Green
Shunt the truck train for the express (unless Masher May was on the front of
the truck train, it was a Saturday morning, and March Town were playing at
home).
What he wouldn't do is to forget to tell Upminster that the direct line to
Pitsea was blocked by a derailment and everything would have to be diverted
via Ockendon and Tilbury.

Peter

Chris Tolley[_2_] April 5th 11 01:22 PM

Hils wrote:

Chris Tolley wrote:
Hils wrote:
Odd how we read more about Asian [sic] women being "victims" than about
unemployed men.

women of Asian heritage who are driven to take their lives
often have been victims of abuse from an identifiable abuser

Asian-heritage women choose to stay in abusive environments. If some
of them don't understand enough about British culture or the English
language to go to the police or social services before they reach the
stage of stepping in front of a train, the questions to be asked are
why don't they understand those things?

They may not even understand the language. How on earth do you suppose
they are meant to understand the support structures? NB There is ample
information about specific cases out there if you actually do wish to
become informed, rather than to engage in wordplay.

--
..sig down for maintenance

Chris[_2_] April 5th 11 01:32 PM

On 5 Apr, 10:51, bob wrote:
The problem is the railways are not following a "keep calm, carry on"
approach, they are following a "pack up and go home" approach, leaving
passengers stranded. *There should be contingency plans for how to
deal with the closure of key points on the network, ready to act on
with half an hour's notice. *It should be clear to management within
half an hour whether the situation is a "open again in a few minutes"
or "closed for the rest of the evening" situation.

Don't agree. A suicide could be cleared up in 30 minutes, it could
take five hours (if the train couldn't be moved, for example), or any
time in-between.....they DO NOT know until the BTP give NR the
clearance - then they can start guesstimating. But the BTP, rightly in
my view - sorry - refuse to guesstimate saying it'll take as long as
it takes.

Your dealing with an horrific death here, not a broken down train.

*For management to
just sit on that information and neither pass it on, nor advise
passengers (who may have train-specific non flexible tickets) how to
go about getting home, nor give them advice on alternative routes that
are available, is bad management. *Just sticking a "we're really
sorry, your train is cancelled" message on the information display is
not a contingency plan, and it's not keeping calm and carrying on.

Yes, it is. The real problem is Joe Public's complete lack of patience
these days. Previously, they'd work it out for themselves that the
likely delay is a couple of hours, do I want to try a different route
or shall I wait - but with the advent of e-everything, they expect
instantaneous answers. Well, in this case, someone's life comes before
someone's trip home.

BTW - THIS PERSON LIVED LASST NIGHT......

Peter Masson[_2_] April 5th 11 01:34 PM

"SB" wrote in message
Sadly there was yet another person hit by a train at Southall on
Monday evening (yesterday).

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/co...c=669.msg87663

This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does seem to
be a regular occurance.

Anyway you would have thought that First Great Western might have had
a contingency plan for such occurrences by now.

I suspect they had. BTP's target time for reopening a railway after a
fatality is 2 hours. If you could get a fleet of buses to Paddington to take
all the passengers it would almost certainly take the best part of 2 hours.
So no point. It would also be likely to take nearly as long to call in off
duty managers and staff from home. Again no point.
What should have been done is to keep passengers informed as far as possible
(via tannoy and screens), reassure those with connections down the line to
contact the conductor when they do get away, so that arrangements (hold last
connections, arrange taxis) can be made. Make tickets available on LUL and
SWT and advise passengers for Heathrow that they may travel via LUL and that
passengers may also make their way to Waterloo for Windsor, Reading, via
Basingstoke, etc.
Trains in the station, which would be the first ones out when the line
reopened, should be loaded - so they can be got away quickly when this
becomes possible, and, to the seating capacity of the trains, to give
passengers somewhere warm to sit and wait.
Presumably the Greenford shuttle kept running until end of service, carrying
passengers to Acton Main Line, Ealing Broadway, West Ealing, and the
Greenford branch
If there was a train crew with route knowledge via Banbury after the
Christmas diversions, a train to Bristol or Siouth Wales should have been
diverted via Banbury, calling at Oxford, Swindon and usual stations.
I'll leave it to BAA and the airlines how they cope when passengers arrive
late at Heathrow because BAA's HEx and HConn trains were not running.

Peter

Chris[_2_] April 5th 11 01:35 PM

On 5 Apr, 14:32, Chris wrote:
On 5 Apr, 10:51, bob wrote:

[...]

BTW - THIS PERSON LIVED LAST NIGHT......

Indeed, they did. THe only complaint I see that sticks here is that
there weren't sufficient staff available.
Don't forget this station is operated by Network Rail, so FGW don't
have info staff available, just ops....

Peter Masson[_2_] April 5th 11 01:42 PM

"SB" wrote in message
Sadly there was yet another person hit by a train at Southall on
Monday evening (yesterday).

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/co...c=669.msg87663

This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does seem to
be a regular occurance.

Anyway you would have thought that First Great Western might have had
a contingency plan for such occurrences by now.

Meanwhile the northbound M11 was closed for 15 hours after an accident.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-12968479
I don't know how long it took to release vehicles trapped behind the
accident. No doubt many passengers missed planes at Stansted.

Peter

[email protected] April 5th 11 01:44 PM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 14:22:31 +0100
Chris Tolley (ukonline really) wrote:
They may not even understand the language. How on earth do you suppose

They could always try learning it. Just a thought...

B2003

[email protected] April 5th 11 01:48 PM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 14:42:54 +0100
"Peter Masson" wrote:
Meanwhile the northbound M11 was closed for 15 hours after an accident.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-12968479
I don't know how long it took to release vehicles trapped behind the
accident. No doubt many passengers missed planes at Stansted.

Apart from the inconvenience, lost business, pollution and a host of
other problems it causes, thats a number of police tied up for 15 hours, and
for what? So they can apportion blame, thats what. They're so desperate
to nick somebody they engage in this farcical behaviour. Its time the
home office stepped in and gave the chief constables a good slapping.

B2003

[email protected] April 5th 11 02:10 PM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

In article
,
(Chris) wrote:

Don't forget this station is operated by Network Rail, so FGW don't
have info staff available, just ops....

Really? The TOCs have information staff at King's Cross?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 5th 11 02:10 PM

Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

In article ,
(Peter Masson) wrote:

Meanwhile the northbound M11 was closed for 15 hours after an accident.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-12968479
I don't know how long it took to release vehicles trapped behind
the accident. No doubt many passengers missed planes at Stansted.

It was quite a pile up apparently. More at
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...ed-by-police-a
fter-M11-pile-up.htm

--
Colin Rosenstiel

bob[_2_] April 5th 11 02:23 PM

On Apr 5, 3:32*pm, Chris wrote:
On 5 Apr, 10:51, bob wrote:

The problem is the railways are not following a "keep calm, carry on"
approach, they are following a "pack up and go home" approach, leaving
passengers stranded. *There should be contingency plans for how to
deal with the closure of key points on the network, ready to act on
with half an hour's notice. *It should be clear to management within
half an hour whether the situation is a "open again in a few minutes"
or "closed for the rest of the evening" situation.

Don't agree. A suicide could be cleared up in 30 minutes, it could
take five hours (if the train couldn't be moved, for example), or any
time in-between.....they DO NOT know until the BTP give NR the
clearance - then they can start guesstimating. But the BTP, rightly in
my view - sorry - refuse to guesstimate saying it'll take as long as
it takes.

Evidence would suggest that the disruption resulting from such an
event will last for several hours. In the case of an evening
disruption, it will likely persist until the end of services that
day. THIS SHUOLD BE IN THE CONTINGENCY PLAN. Along with contacts at
management of alternative routes, phone numbers for getting in coaches
to bypass the closed section of line, instructions for posting this
information on the display boards at Paddington, the phone number of
the guy at Paddington who can make announcements over the PA system,
and the phone numbers of people who need to get to Paddington to help
stranded passengers.

Your dealing with an horrific death here, not a broken down train.

In terms of giving passengers information, adivce on alternative
routes, and getting them past a closed line, it is irrelevant whether
the line is closed because of a suicide, a collapsed viaduct or some
gas bottles in a building fire. The effect on the passengers is the
same, and the solution is the same.

*For management to
just sit on that information and neither pass it on, nor advise
passengers (who may have train-specific non flexible tickets) how to
go about getting home, nor give them advice on alternative routes that
are available, is bad management. *Just sticking a "we're really
sorry, your train is cancelled" message on the information display is
not a contingency plan, and it's not keeping calm and carrying on.

Yes, it is. The real problem is Joe Public's complete lack of patience
these days. Previously, they'd work it out for themselves that the
likely delay is a couple of hours, do I want to try a different route
or shall I wait - but with the advent of e-everything, they expect
instantaneous answers.

The problem is the lack of customer service. Passengers are sold
train-specific tickets with £100+ penalties for using the wrong
train. Passengers may not know what alternative options might be
available. Passengers might hope that the problem can be resolved
reasonably quickly [1]. The railway company has the ability to
arrange to have train specific tickets honoured on alternative routes
(eg Waterloo-Reading, Waterloo-Exeter). The railway company knows
what alternative routes exist. The railway has a reasonable estimate
of how long the disruption is likely to last. There are several
automated information distribution systems at Paddington that could
provide this kind of information that were not used, and no attempt
was made to inform the pitifully few staff on the ground of the
information that passengers might want to know.

[1] Lots of times when I was based in Cambridge, when I'd turn up at
King's Cross to find some kind of problem on the next Cambridge train,
I would have no idea whether it was a problem with this particular
train, and I should wait for the next one, or if the whole ECML was
screwed (eg wires down at Stevenage), and I should go to Liverpool
Street. As someone who knows a bit about the railways, I could
usually figure out, but on those occasions when going to Liverpool
Street was the right solution, the lack of other people doing the same
thing indicated that I was in a small minority.

Well, in this case, someone's life comes before someone's trip home.

But on a competently run railway, there should not be this either/or
choice. The situation at Southall can be resolved, and passengers can
get home on alternative routes, or by bus/coach. That this did not
happen is due to bad management.

BTW - THIS PERSON LIVED LASST NIGHT......

BUT YOU SAID IT WAS AN HORRIFIC DEATH

Neil Williams April 5th 11 02:55 PM

On Apr 5, 3:32*pm, Chris wrote:

Well, in this case, someone's life comes before
someone's trip home.

Emotive nonsense; staff at the station might be dealing with a broken
rail, or an OHLE failure, or a complete signalling breakdown, or any
one of a number of things. The cause is largely irrelevant to the
provision of effective passenger information, which is the issue.

As I said, they may not be able to say when it will end, though
presumably there are degrees of this sort of thing and the BTP might
be able to give an idea between 2 hours and "not until tomorrow" - in
the former case you probably won't need buses, in the latter you
probably will.

Staff at the station are not dealing with the deceased, that's the
BTP's job. Staff at the station are dealing with severe disruption,
the reason for which is in many ways irrelevant.

Neil

Neil Williams April 5th 11 02:59 PM

On Apr 5, 4:23*pm, bob wrote:

[1] Lots of times when I was based in Cambridge, when I'd turn up at
King's Cross to find some kind of problem on the next Cambridge train,
I would have no idea whether it was a problem with this particular
train, and I should wait for the next one, or if the whole ECML was
screwed (eg wires down at Stevenage), and I should go to Liverpool
Street. *

Try dealing with that when travelling by air, when airlines will
pretty much point blank refuse to tell you what is actually going on.

"Late arrival of the inbound aircraft" is not a helpful piece of
information, and it may as well not be given. But why not give a
useful piece of information that passengers can use to work out how
long it's likely to be?

A couple of months ago I spent about 3 hours standing at a gate at
Geneva airport as the delay minutes went up by 20 minutes every 20
minutes. This is silly; I could have gone to a restaurant and eaten
had they told me the aircraft hadn't even left Luton yet - that would
give a minimum of an hour and a half. But nobody knew or was willing
to say.

Neil

amogles April 5th 11 04:03 PM

On 5 Apr., 15:32, Chris wrote:
Yes, it is. The real problem is Joe Public's complete lack of patience
these days. Previously, they'd work it out for themselves that the
likely delay is a couple of hours, do I want to try a different route
or shall I wait -

Interesting point.
I wonder, wether the staff at Waterloo would be aware of what was
going on and letting Reading passengers onto the corresponding train
for example? In the past it would have taken one phone call from
Paddington to Waterloo to set that up, but do the railways still think
like that?