Old April 20th 11, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mail Rail exploration

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:53:10 +0100
"Mizter T" wrote:
wrote:
What state is mailrail in at the moment - has it been mothballed or have
they dismantled it and sold off the stock?

It's been entirely stripped and filled with concrete. The photos on the page
linked to by the OP are all fake.

[canned laughter]

I didn't see the original post numbnuts, I only just spotted this thread.

B2003

Old April 20th 11, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

A harder glance would lead you to spot the references to Sub-Brit,
whose "countless years of sitting in chairs has resulted in quite the
in depth collection of historical fact and technical nerdery regarding
the place" - at least that's the take of the urbexers. (The urbex
contingent and those of the Sub-Brit persuasion don't quite see eye to
eye, you see - though I doubt the urbex verdict on utl would be all
that glowing either!)

I'm from neither urban exploration camp but one relatively small
building sub-brit covered had blatantly incorrect information
regarding its function, the reason being I was extremely familiar with
the site having worked on engineering a complete revamp of all
equipment there in the mid 1980's

Within an organisation of many thousands, the number of people who
were aware of this building only ever numbered a dozen or so, most are
now well into retirement, the number 'online' can't be many, and the
number who would ever know about sub-brit is just above zero

I provided them with detailed info about the building, what its true
purpose was, and where the function they claimed was carried out in
this building was really performed, a few years back I could have even
provided them with all the technical drawings and photos of the inside
of the building, especially as it ceased as an operational building in
the late 1990's. Hell I could have even given them a guided tour!

They plainly couldn't give a stuff as they didn't even acknowledge
receipt and the glaring errors are still there.

Old April 21st 11, 12:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\04\21 00:01, The Other Mike wrote:

They plainly couldn't give a stuff as they didn't even acknowledge
receipt and the glaring errors are still there.

Maybe they just didn't get your email.
Old April 21st 11, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:35:28 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
condition but if Royal Mail had an ounce of sense they'd arrange a
series of visits - maybe at just one location - and then charge a decent

If the royal mail had any sense they wouldn't have closed it in the first
place.

B2003

Old April 21st 11, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:48:55 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
I am sure we could debate the rights and wrongs of how the Royal Mail
are managed for a very long time. I don't know enough about the reasons
for closure of Mail Rail to understand whether it was a good or bad
decision.

Well it couldn't have been staff costs so no doubt they'd claim it was
maintenance costs. Trucks however arn't exactly cheap to maintain, insure,
tax, fuel, not forgetting the congestion charge and the pollution they cause
too. All in all , a bloody daft decision no doubt made by some short sighted
bean counter 100 miles away.

B2003

Old April 21st 11, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:55:08 +0100
Paul Terry wrote:
By the time it closed, MailRail was losing 1.2 million pounds a day and
costing five times the amount of moving the same amount of mail by road.

Presumably their figures used to justify it. I very much doubt it cost
that much a day to run never mind lose. 500 million quid a year?
Yeah , suuuuure.

B2003

Mail Rail Offramp London Transport 0 September 16th 16 10:05 AM
Plans approved to open Mail Rail 'secret Tube' as ride Recliner[_2_] London Transport 79 March 16th 14 07:37 PM
Mail Rail: What is it like on the 'secret' Tube? CJB London Transport 1 January 29th 14 03:06 PM
Mail Rail Someone Somewhere London Transport 5 October 16th 13 07:28 PM
Mail Rail (Post Office Railway) - Hudson Hawk on Channel 5 this Sunday John Rowland London Transport 1 May 11th 04 03:45 PM